Attempt to create a system image fails

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Attempt to create a system image fails


    I am new to Windows 10. I just tried, for the first time, to use the legacy "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" to create a system image on an external hard drive. The creation failed with an error:

    The backup failed. A Volume Shadow Copy Service operation failed. Please check "VSS" and "SPP" application event logs for more information (0x807800A1). Additional information: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retried, the error may not reoccur (0x800423F3).

    As suggested, I retried, but the operation failed again.

    I used the Event viewer to check the SPP and VSS events:

    SPP: Writer ASR Writer experienced some error during snapshot creation.

    VSS: Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An invalid XML document was returned from writer {89374701-e2cf-4855-bd6e-6992c14fc30f}.

    VSS: Fail to parse XML file. Reason An invalid character was found in text content.

    There was an old (Windows 7) system image on the hard drive. In case Windows 10 was having trouble reading it, I deleted it. But I the operation still failed.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 32,931
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #2

    Please use free versions of third party software to make backup images:
    Acronis, Aoemi, EaseUS, Macrium, Paragon, etc.

    Macrium is widely used in Ten Forums:
    Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    zbook said:
    Please use free versions of third party software to make backup images:
    Acronis, Aoemi, EaseUS, Macrium, Paragon, etc.

    Macrium is widely used in Ten Forums:
    Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect
    Thanks. I'm reading the Macrium tutorial now. But I'd still like to know why the operation is failing.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 32,931
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #4

    There was a notice about the depreciation of the Microsoft service.

    See this link:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ll-creators-up

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-ecc387656194
      My Computer

  5. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,176
    Mac OS Catalina
       #5

    See this. Create System Image in Windows 10 using Powershell It is a lot easier than the Backup and Restore feature that is going away.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    zbook said:
    There was a notice about the depreciation of the Microsoft service.

    See this link:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ll-creators-up

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...d-ecc387656194
    I assumed it was deprecated based on how hard it was to find. Thanks for the links!
      My Computer

  7. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,176
    Mac OS Catalina
       #7

    perkinw said:
    I assumed it was deprecated based on how hard it was to find. Thanks for the links!
    Because Microsoft is going a different route in how system backups are done. The link I posted works fast and can make the image on a network share, USB drive or second internal drive for backups.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #8

    bro67 said:
    Because Microsoft is going a different route in how system backups are done. The link I posted works fast and can make the image on a network share, USB drive or second internal drive for backups.
    What advantages does a tool like Macrium have over the Powershell method of creating a system image?
      My Computer

  9. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,176
    Mac OS Catalina
       #9

    Macrium is just a GUI front end that does the same as the built in commands do, but easier for those users that are not advanced enough to figure out and use the built in commands that have been there since DOS 1.x. You can write a script to run the copy and backup commands in PS, vs the high overhead required of third party software.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 32,931
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #10

    Macrium has free and pay versions depending on the features needed.
    Macrium also has a boot rescue feature.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums