Can I backup different Windows 10 versions with Macrium Reflect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1

    Can I backup different Windows 10 versions with Macrium Reflect


    Hi. I am about to backup Windows 10 1809 with an external hard drive using Macrium. When the next major update (version1903) is installed, can I use the same external hard drive to back up the new version as well? The external HD is 2 TB. Thanks in advance for any replies.
    Mark
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    #2

    Hi, yes, provided there's enough free space, but you should create a new base image as so much will have changed.

    (A base image is the first, then you can use smaller faster images representing changes e.g. differential (free) or incremental (licensed version) ).

    I.e. you may wish to create a new '1903' folder and store your image set there.

    Once confident with 1903, you can delete the old images for 1809.

    Hopefully you are using Macrium's 'Create an image of the partitions needed..' to select all partitions for the OS, not just 'C:'
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 11,679
    10 Home x64 (1903) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #3

    Mcd73165 said: View Post
    Hi. I am about to backup Windows 10 1809 with an external hard drive using Macrium. When the next major update (version1903) is installed, can I use the same external hard drive to back up the new version as well? The external HD is 2 TB.
    Yes. I have a 2TB external HDD that currently holds images of all my machines. The have a range of different OS, including Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit) and Windows 10 (32 & 64 bit). As dalchina suggested, you may want to create a new folder for your 1903 image just to help you keep track of what images you have kept. I have a separate folder for each machine.

    However, even if you are using Macrium's retention rules to purge earlier backups it is not a requirement to use separate folders. Macrium's retention rules work on the image ID of your backup, so will only apply to that one particular backup set and will ignore any other backup sets (for this PC or any other machine) that may be in that folder.

    Each backup set is managed independently. Provided you have the available space you can have multiple backup sets on your HDD without them interfering with each other.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    #4

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, yes, provided there's enough free space, but you should create a new base image as so much will have changed.

    (A base image is the first, then you can use smaller faster images representing changes e.g. differential (free) or incremental (licensed version) ).

    I.e. you may wish to create a new '1903' folder and store your image set there.

    Once confident with 1903, you can delete the old images for 1809.

    Hopefully you are using Macrium's 'Create an image of the partitions needed..' to select all partitions for the OS, not just 'C:'
    dalchina: I have the free version and yes I used Create an image of the partitions needed. The backup drive should have enough space on it to create an image of a few versions. If I understand correctly if space runs out then previous backups will be wiped. Thanks very much for your input.
    Mark
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 11,679
    10 Home x64 (1903) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    Mcd73165 said: View Post
    If I understand correctly if space runs out then previous backups will be wiped...
    If you set up a backup you will (by default) save the backup definition as an .xml file when you start the backup. This backup definition file contains any backup retention rules you have selected. The Backup definition can then be selected on the 'Backup Definition Files' tab and run to create a Full, Differential or (in the paid version) Incremental backup. Any and all backups created from this backup definition are a 'backup set', it is only the images in this backup set to which the retention rules will be applied when you run this backup definition.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	232347

    If you edit your backup definition file to change the name of the image file, or if you create a new backup definition file for your 1903 when you get it, then this will start a new independent backup set. Its retention rules will apply the this new backup set only. Images fron the old backup set will not be deleted by these rules, you will need to delete them manually if you need the space.


    Personally, as I keep images of many different machines on the one external drive, I have chosen not to set any retention rules. I prefer to manually delete my older images when no longer required.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    #6

    If I understand correctly if space runs out then previous backups will be wiped.
    True for a given backup rule.

    But if you start a completely new image set with 1903 starting with a new base image, the old backup set will be retatined, as you are no longer using the rule that is applicable to them.

    The choice is yours.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7.    #7

    dalchina said: View Post
    True for a given backup rule.

    But if you start a completely new image set with 1903 starting with a new base image, the old backup set will be retatined, as you are no longer using the rule that is applicable to them.

    The choice is yours.
    dalchina, I didn't know about or set any rules. I just made a base backup of 1809 using Create an image of the partitions needed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    #8

    You don't have to make rules or use the "XML backup definition file" as the last step at all.

    You can instead just walk through the process manually each time. Delete old images when you no longer want them.

    You can leave the "edit the plan for this backup" page empty. No template, no schedule, no rules, no purging.

    The whole thing is maybe 6 or 8 mouse clicks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    #9

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    You don't have to make rules or use the "XML backup definition file" as the last step at all.

    You can instead just walk through the process manually each time. Delete old images when you no longer want them.

    You can leave the "edit the plan for this backup" page empty. No template, no schedule, no rules, no purging.

    The whole thing is maybe 6 or 8 mouse clicks.
    Thanks for that info. One question: assuming I make differential backups and I need to restore my pc using the backup image, do I use the base backup or just the differential backup or do one and then the other?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    #10

    Mcd73165 said: View Post
    Thanks for that info. One question: assuming I make differential backups and I need to restore my pc using the backup image, do I use the base backup or just the differential backup or do one and then the other?
    I use full images only. I don't want to add any complexity to something as critical as backup. Differentials add more steps and stuff to keep track of. That's not for me. I don't have drive space issues and am not trying to save time or make money by using differentials.

    I might consider them if I was making images dozens of times per month--but I make only 1 a month. Rarely more.

    But I think quite a few here do use differentials.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Backup & Restore Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect in Tutorials
How to Create and Restore a System Image Backup with Macrium Reflect To begin I quote myself from the Macrium viBoot tutorial: This tutorial will show you the basics of Macrium Reflect, how to create backup images and restore them. We will...
Macrium Reflect backup restore? in Backup and Restore
I have 3 PC's, One desktop and two laptops running latest 1903 versions of W10. I have used Macrium Reflect on my desktop for over a year and have a usb stick with the restore backup program, I have used it once and it worked flawlessly: What I...
https://i.imgur.com/tYFLWtn.jpg 4 SSDs in the machine.. the primary Win 10 boot is designated as Samsung, PM981. Which is cloned to Samsung PM951 and can be selected as an alternative boot. Which is also cloned to the Samsung 860 EVO SATA...
Though it has never happened but out of curiosity, I want to know, while restoring macrium image, when we delete System Reserved and OS partition and then drop the backup image at that place and if image fail to restore, and we already deleted the...
Solved Macrium Reflect Backup Failures in Backup and Restore
I noticed today that my daily Reflect backups had failed for the past three days, all with the same log file errors. The Reflect help file has an entry for VSS Error: 0x8004231f - Failed to Create Volume Snapshot. I started to research that,...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22.
Find Us