Looking for system restore replacement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    1 Week Ago #1

    Looking for system restore replacement


    I am using Win 10 V 1809 and am having system restore point issues. I can create a restore point
    but not revert to any available.
    I've tried the boot safe mode - disable defender and still get unsucessful restore.



    I've tried alternative called restorerx

    https://horizondatasys.com/reboot-restore-rx-freeware/

    and
    http://farstone.com/restoreit/

    The first one is freeware and up to seven snaps are allowed -Pro version is unlimited
    The second link; claims to take snap after uninstall program which is nice idea.
    I know that a image restore or backup is best but that does take some time and a dedicate
    external HD to store all the data on your activce HD.

    Interested in any suggestions.
    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    1 Week Ago #2

    Rollback RX (free version) is said to be pretty good, but when I tried it a long time back, it may impede upgrades- worth a question as to impact. It's not the same as System Restore, rather like Restoreit I think.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    1 Week Ago #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Rollback RX (free version) is said to be pretty good, but when I tried it a long time back, it may impede upgrades- worth a question as to impact. It's not the same as System Restore, rather like Restoreit I think.
    Wow!! That was a fast reply. That was my first post here today.
    So you are saying that RestorIT better resembles the System restore? Their customer support is not very responsive.
    Thanks for the reply.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    1 Week Ago #4

    No, but I think Rollback RX is rather similar to RestoreIT. They are different products by different companies. RestoreIt is by Farstone if I recall.

    RollBack Rx Instant Time Machine

    As an aside, if you do use this, do also use disk imaging routinely. They do quite different things.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    1 Week Ago #5

    dalchina said: View Post
    No, but I think Rollback RX is rather similar to RestoreIT. They are different products by different companies. RestoreIt is by Farstone if I recall.

    RollBack Rx Instant Time Machine

    As an aside, if you do use this, do also use disk imaging routinely. They do quite different things.
    \
    Hi,
    Haven't done any imaging although I do know that it takes awhile to accomplish.
    Yes, two different products from different companies that try to do what System restore does.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    1 Week Ago #6

    Under 15 mins to create a base image for 80Gb on a SSD to USB 3 disk over USB3. Then under 9 to do a differential (changes) image.

    What do you gain?
    - the ability to restore your PC to a previous working state without tech help even if:
    - the internal disk has failed
    - is unbootable and unrecoverable
    - you have to replace it

    Disk imaging applies to any disk or partition. Images can be used as a backup - files can be extracted easily.

    Everything is protected- whereas System Restore relies on the PC being bootable and does not protect data or some settings.

    Your images can be stored offline in a safe place- imagine your PC is stolen- you still have your images.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    1 Week Ago #7

    Butch73 said: View Post
    \
    Haven't done any imaging although I do know that it takes awhile to accomplish.
    Please follow dalchina's advice.

    In some situations there is some time involved but if you ever need to restore a system image backup, it will save a lot of time, energy and frustration. In case you'd like to know, I create a system image backup during the week before the 2nd Tuesday every month before the first set of WU's are due the current month. Most people I help don't want to bother creating system image backups but for the few who did and needed it, they were more than pleasantly surprised.

    Once you do the original set-up, it becomes 2nd nature to do them.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    1 Week Ago #8

    MeAndMyComputer said: View Post
    Please follow dalchina's advice.

    In some situations there is some time involved but if you ever need to restore a system image backup, it will save a lot of time, energy and frustration. In case you'd like to know, I create a system image backup during the week before the 2nd Tuesday every month before the first set of WU's are due the current month. Most people I help don't want to bother creating system image backups but for the few who did and needed it, they were more than pleasantly surprised.

    Once you do the original set-up, it becomes 2nd nature to do them.
    I suppose I could just buy a new external drive dedicated to store my C drive; it is partioned
    to three other sectors. I wonder if I would have to partition the external exactly as my main hard drive
    before I do a image back up? Nowadays, they have gone down due to the SSD drives.



    Edit: What imaging backup program do you recommend and why? I know there are tons of 'em out there but like to get some inputs on what you use and why you like it. It may help me decide which one to use.
    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Eddie Doc's Avatar
    Posts : 235
    Windows 10 Home Version 1809 OS Build 17763.316
       1 Week Ago #9

    Butch73 said: View Post
    I suppose I could just buy a new external drive dedicated to store my C drive; it is partioned
    to three other sectors. I wonder if I would have to partition the external exactly as my main hard drive
    before I do a image back up?
    The answer is no.(Using Macrium Reflect, anyway. The image is a single file saved to the external disk).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    1 Week Ago #10

    Eddie Doc said: View Post
    The answer is no.(Using Macrium Reflect, anyway. The image is a single file saved to the external disk).
    The free version?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Threads
I recently bought a 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo to replace my 250Gb 850 Evo. I used the Samsung software to transfer my OS(C:) and Games(D:) to the new drive and everything went fine, however, I noticed the other day that this new 850 1Tb drive is now...
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for anyone that helps. I am really troubled as I have been googling the hell out of this and trying many solutions with none of them working. 1) My pc first entered a loop when I tried to remove mcafee with...
Since upgrading system restore is not creating restore points automatically. I have to create them manually and then they are being deleted automatically every 3 - 7 days. I tried allocating more disk space to restore but that has done no good. I...
Hi, I had a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10 Pro that started giving very poor battery performance and the case was getting very hot. MS agreed to either repair/replace under warranty but I needed to ship it back. Before I shipped it back I...
So why did Microsoft change this? If I remember correctly all previous versions would create a system restore point before doing Microsoft updates. Since 10 installed all updates that come in for me are downloaded and installed without a restore...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:58.
Find Us