Question about using Macrium Reflect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 281
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    Question about using Macrium Reflect


    Hi. I'll be making a system image using Macrium Reflect for the first time. I will backup the Windows (C) Drive, Windows RE Tools and the EFI System Partitions. I'd like to know if I should also backup the Recovery Drive (D). Thanks in advance for any replies. Note that I did read through the Help info but I didn't see anything about this.
      My Computer

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 31,206
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #2

    Question about using Macrium Reflect-1.jpg
    Hi, that is an easy starting point as all the relevant partitions for Windows should be selected.
    Windows Partitions - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase - KnowledgeBase v7.2 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

    You then have a choice. You can add any other partition or disk- or none.

    You can image those separately if you wish.

    I don't know what your Recovery drive is in particular- perhaps you are referring to a manufacturer's factory reset partition, as Windows' Recovery partition (much smaller) should not have a drive letter.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 281
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina: Thanks for your reply, pix and link. My HP PC has a Recovery Drive labeled D. It is not checked when I click on Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows so that basically answers my question. Thanks again.
    Mark
      My Computer

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 19,655
    10 Home x64 (21H1) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #4

    Mcd73165 said:
    ...My HP PC has a Recovery Drive labeled D. It is not checked when I click on Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows so that basically answers my question.
    On an HP the D: Recovery drive holds the OEM 'factory reset' system image that would be restored if you were to use the HP factory reset utilities. It is not required for running Windows. Most OEMs hide their factory reset partition by not assigning it a drive letter, HP are an exception.

    Anyway, if your HP was upgraded to 10 from W7/8 then the factory reset image would still be the original W7/8 one - so hardly worth imaging

    HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - What is the Recovery (D:) Hard Drive? | HP® Customer Support
      My Computers

  5. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,492
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #5

    I would backup the recovery partition since it's probably small anyway. Also consider backing up the partition containing your user files. Learn how to do automatic scheduled backups since it's easy to forget to do regular backups. You should also build a Reflect recovery drive.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 281
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Steve C said:
    I would backup the recovery partition since it's probably small anyway. Also consider backing up the partition containing your user files. Learn how to do automatic scheduled backups since it's easy to forget to do regular backups. You should also build a Reflect recovery drive.
    Thanks. I'll consider what you suggested.
    Mark
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,008
    Windows 10
       #7

    I just select all partitions including the Manufacturers Recovery partition (D) which is probably about 10 GB or so and relatively small.
    Keeps it all as simple as possible.

    That is the easy bit, the Recovery media is the tricky bit.
      My Computer

  8. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 2,776
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #8

    Helmut said:
    That is the easy bit, the Recovery media is the tricky bit.
    Actually, it is fairly easy. Use a small capacity USB Flash Drive like 1 GB (if you have one) and do a quick format for FAT32.
    Name the USB Drive "RESTORE" then follow the wizard for Create Bootable Rescue Media.

    If you need help, just let us know.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 281
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Helmut said:
    I just select all partitions including the Manufacturers Recovery partition (D) which is probably about 10 GB or so and relatively small.
    Keeps it all as simple as possible.

    That is the easy bit, the Recovery media is the tricky bit.
    Thanks, Helmut. I've already made a Recovery Flash Drive from HP's Recovery Media Creation.
    Mark
      My Computer

  10. Porthos's Avatar
    Posts : 888
    Win 10
       #10

    Mcd73165 said:
    Thanks, Helmut. I've already made a Recovery Flash Drive from HP's Recovery Media Creation.
    Mark
    That one has nothing to do with Macriums recovery disk.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums