Windows Backup and Restore  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 837
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2
       #1

    Windows Backup and Restore


    I created an image on a multiple partition hard drive and then had to do a repair install. I did the following:
    1. Deleted the image.
    2. Tried to create the image:
    a. Selected partition with no problem but would not go to next operation of selecting what to backup.
    3. Deleted partition and recreated it and had same problem as 2.a.
    4. Shared the partition, same problem.

    Where is Windows storing this info so it can be deleted? I tested the backup and restore and it works great except you can only create one image.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 15,349
    Windows10
       #2

    rdwray said:
    I created an image on a multiple partition hard drive and then had to do a repair install. I did the following:
    1. Deleted the image.
    2. Tried to create the image:
    a. Selected partition with no problem but would not go to next operation of selecting what to backup.
    3. Deleted partition and recreated it and had same problem as 2.a.
    4. Shared the partition, same problem.

    Where is Windows storing this info so it can be deleted? I tested the backup and restore and it works great except you can only create one image.
    Windows 10 backup and restore is a deprecated feature and MS advise using 3rd party tools. The majority of users here recommend using Macrium Reflect Free (see tutorials).
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 837
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #3

    cereberus said:
    Windows 10 backup and restore is a deprecated feature and MS advise using 3rd party tools. The majority of users here recommend using Macrium Reflect Free (see tutorials).
    Why do they still have it available through Settings > Backup and Restore if it is no longer supported? From what I can find out, MS decided to restore it after removing it, can't make their minds u.

    I tried Marcrium, but I prefer AOMEI, much simpler and it works well.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 15,349
    Windows10
       #4

    rdwray said:
    Why do they still have it available through Settings > Backup and Restore if it is no longer supported? From what I can find out, MS decided to restore it after removing it, can't make their minds u.

    I tried Marcrium, but I prefer AOMEI, much simpler and it works well.
    It has never been removed but is no longer supported.

    Rem Aomei - fine but not as flexible. Still better than stone age Windows version
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 837
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #5

    cereberus said:
    It has never been removed but is no longer supported.

    Rem Aomei - fine but not as flexible. Still better than stone age Windows version
    All I want is a bootable USB stick that I can to a restore with when the hard drive dies and AOMEI has those resources - my personal preference is a clone but it is a little more difficult to replace an internal SSD when you have to take out a bunch of screws. The deal with M$ was an experiment anyway.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 15,349
    Windows10
       #6

    rdwray said:
    All I want is a bootable USB stick that I can to a restore with when the hard drive dies and AOMEI has those resources - my personal preference is a clone but it is a little more difficult to replace an internal SSD when you have to take out a bunch of screws. The deal with M$ was an experiment anyway.
    As I said Aomei is fine but limited in features. Macrium Reflect is the forum favourite as it has been proven to be very reliable and flexible but in the end, what is important is actually making backups with a tool that meets your needs.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 837
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #7

    cereberus said:
    As I said Aomei is fine but limited in features. Macrium Reflect is the forum favourite as it has been proven to be very reliable and flexible but in the end, what is important is actually making backups with a tool that meets your needs.
    Macrium does not meet my needs that is why I don't use it... Far more complicated than required for such a simple job.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 837
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Here is a limitation with Macrium that I have not found with AOMEI, it always boots:

    When creating new partitions, the Macrium rescue wizard will always format it FAT32 to maximise compatibility. However, unless the uEFI multiboot option is checked, if a suitable NTFS partition is found, the boot files will be placed then resulting in a MBR only booting device.

    If you need a uEFI booting memory stick, due to the FAT filesystem requirement and its 32 GB limitation, we suggest you use a 32 GB flash memory stick or smaller (or use one that is pre-formatted FAT). Otherwise the space beyond 32GB will be unusable. This is not an issue for USB disks as these can support multiple partitions.
    AOMEI always formats to NTFS removing size limitations and when booted the software interface is available after boot to carry out the installation of the image because it creates an ISO.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 15,349
    Windows10
       #9

    rdwray said:
    Here is a limitation with Macrium that I have not found with AOMEI, it always boots:



    AOMEI always formats to NTFS removing size limitations and when booted the software interface is available after boot to carry out the installation of the image because it creates an ISO.
    Yeah but many devices will not boot from NTFS in UEFI.

    Macrium will universally boot as it correctly uses fat32 for maximum compatibility.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 837
    Windows 10 Pro 21H2
    Thread Starter
       #10

    cereberus said:
    Yeah but many devices will not boot from NTFS in UEFI.
    Yeah, but Macrium has problems as demonstrated in the 47 pages that follow the tutorial.

    cereberus said:
    Macrium will universally boot as it correctly uses fat32 for maximum compatibility.

    You are in error as demonstrated here https://kb.macrium.com/knowledgebasearticle50210.aspx:
    When creating new partitions, the Macrium rescue wizard will always format it FAT32 to maximise compatibility. However, unless the uEFI multiboot option is checked, if a suitable NTFS partition is found, the boot files will be placed then resulting in a MBR only booting device.
    So like all software of this type, decisions must be made and protocol followed.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums