What is a sensible and pragmatic backup strategy for Win10?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 34
    Win 10 64 byte Home
       #1

    What is a sensible and pragmatic backup strategy for Win10?


    I am going buy a computer with Win 10 probably -64. I need to estimate how much space I need allow for just the operating system so what is reasonable balance between safety and having million backups. Of course we have to allow for other files.
    Currently I have Win 7 Premium and the system backups have totally clogged up the reserve partitioned drive- I didn't buy the computer.

    What is the reasonable strategy just for the operating system?
      My Computer

  2. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,326
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #2

    Macrium Reflect Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything free for manual backups or payed for some more options. Check the site and read extensive help.
      My Computers

  3. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,489
    Windows 10 Pro
       #3

    cloa513 said:
    Currently I have Win 7 Premium and the system backups have totally clogged up the reserve partitioned drive- I didn't buy the computer.
    Can you explain what you mean by "reserve partitioned drive"? Your backups should be saved to an external hard drive, such as USB or network attached. At a minimum the backups should be saved to a second HDD installed in the computer.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 177
    Windows 10, usually latest version
       #4

    cloa513 said:
    I am going buy a computer with Win 10 probably -64. I need to estimate how much space I need allow for just the operating system so what is reasonable balance between safety and having million backups. Of course we have to allow for other files.
    What is the reasonable strategy just for the operating system?
    The System disk requirements grow over time. I just checked my two desktop computers. The test system currently has 33 GB free of 80. The main system has 44 GB free of 100 GB. Each desktop has 3 physical hard drives. A small 100 - 160 GB for the system. One TB drives for data (Documents, Downloads, Media) and 2 TB drives for backups. The test machine also has a large HD for Hper-v virtual drives.

    On my laptops, I re-partition the HD into a small (60 GB) partition for system, the remainder for data. I only use the laptops for travel and testing, so I only clone the HD monthly.

    I use file history daily to the backup drive, do a system image weekly, and clone my system and data drives monthly. I also periodically copy my data to the other desktop. All of this is done automatically EDIT: [Except for the monthly cloning].
      My Computers

  5. ignatzatsonic's Avatar
    Posts : 2,393
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #5

    cloa513 said:

    What is the reasonable strategy just for the operating system?
    Are you implying that you intend to put the operating system and applications on separate partitions?

    Not unheard of, but quite uncommon.

    The last time I did a clean install, a bare minimum Win 10 Home 64-bit install took about 14 GB, but that was bumped up to around 23 GB within hours by Windows Update and a few small applications. 6 months later, the occupied space passed above 30 GB--for Windows and applications. Now, 18 months later, C has 41 GB occupied. All data is elsewhere.

    I just make a full image of C and related partitions once a month with Macrium. That file is circa 20 GB and is saved to a different drive entirely. I keep the most recent 2 or 3 of those images.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 34
    Win 10 64 byte Home
    Thread Starter
       #6

    ignatzatsonic said:
    Are you implying that you intend to put the operating system and applications on separate partitions?

    Not unheard of, but quite uncommon.

    The last time I did a clean install, a bare minimum Win 10 Home 64-bit install took about 14 GB, but that was bumped up to around 23 GB within hours by Windows Update and a few small applications. 6 months later, the occupied space passed above 30 GB--for Windows and applications. Now, 18 months later, C has 41 GB occupied. All data is elsewhere.

    I just make a full image of C and related partitions once a month with Macrium. That file is circa 20 GB and is saved to a different drive entirely. I keep the most recent 2 or 3 of those images.
    The computer I have is an ancient Win 7 Premium Japanese Version with C and D drive- I am pretty they are just partitions.

    Do you do a backup before you install applications or operating system updates? Do you discard them if there are no problem?
      My Computer

  7. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,326
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #7

    My "sensible strategy".
    Windows and main programs installed on separate disk (Samsung 960 evo 259GB) No personal data (downloads, pictures, video etc.) are on it, all are on separate HDD reserved just for those and most important ones backed up to a HDD kept offline (USB adapter or in removable tray). Once backed up, disk is stored in safe place. Some of those files are even backed up on yet another offline HDD.
    Some larger programs, mainly games, are installed on another SSD to save space on system disk, also backed up once in a while. That may not help much but at least I wouldn't loos game saves if I have to reinstall OS or games.
    Using Macrium Reflect to make regular system disk backup and games SSD. Keeping one backup on an online HDD and a copy on an offline HDD. Using HDDs for backups because they are much cheaper and have a collection of about 7 - 10 of them.
    OS (system) disk is actually least important to backup, with more or less effort and time, it can be replaced/system and programs reinstalled but personal data is most important, some of it can never be replaced.
      My Computers

  8. ignatzatsonic's Avatar
    Posts : 2,393
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #8

    cloa513 said:
    Do you do a backup before you install applications or operating system updates? Do you discard them if there are no problem?
    I do a backup within a few hours of installing Windows (after Windows has updated and the PC is working OK, but before I've done much configuration or installed applications) and keep that particular image indefinitely.

    After that, I make an image in the first few days of every month, before the second Tuesday. Every time I make a new one, I delete the oldest one I have, EXCLUDING the one I made right after I installed Windows.

    So---I'll be making a new December image in about a week and at that time I will delete my October image. In January, I'll make another, and delete the November image. And so on.

    I make backups of my image files just as I would any other important file.

    That's just what I do. Do what gives you a sense of security. Most people don't bother with any imaging. Some people who make significant system changes more often than I do might make an image every day or every week. My system doesn't change much week to week.

    Takes about 8 minutes for a full image for my particular PC. If you have 400 GB occupied, it would take considerably longer.

    I don't use incrementals or differentials as I don't want to introduce complications for something that critical.

    I don't make an image just because I might be about to install an application, but I know some do that.

    I rely on System Restore at times and haven't had major issues, but I know it's problematic for some.
      My Computer

  9. lolnothankyou's Avatar
    Posts : 86
    Windows 7 Professional x64
       #9

    I would say 10-15GB would be enough for the OS, drivers, some updates, and some small programs.

    My WinXP full image backup is 2GB, Win7/8.1 is 5GB.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 177
    Windows 10, usually latest version
       #10

    lolnothankyou said:
    I would say 10-15GB would be enough for the OS, drivers, some updates, and some small programs.
    My system backups run 30 - 40 GB and that is with Data, Downloads, pictures, videos and Virtual folders moved to another physical drive. User and Windows folders grow a little every month. My programs folders take up about 10 GB and Program Data takes up about 5 GB.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums