Which is faster? Macrium or Acronis?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,018
    Windows10
       #11

    storageman said:
    I had both installed on my system a number of years ago. I actually performed a couple of bench marks between Acronis 2015 and Macrium Reflect 6 (Which didn't have RDR). It was performed on a 3rd Gen I5 system with USB 3.0 External units and Windows 7. On full backups, it was a dead heat. Both took the same amount of time (Note this included Verification). On Full Restores, Macrium was about 15% faster than Acronis (Note when I built a WinPE disk w/Acronis) the restore times were pretty equal. But Acronis never offered a WinPE environment only a Linux for restore functions.

    When I first upgraded to Acronis 2015, after I tried my first test to restore my system, Acronis couldn't find any USB 3.0 drives. Their Linux kernel didn't have 3.0 support. Took them a few months to get that corrected. When I discovered this problem, I began looking for a replacement. I tested Aomei, Easus and Macrium vs Acronis. Macrium won hands down. Been a Registerd user since then.
    RDR really makes a big difference when it applies.

    The other big plus (imo) is Macrium Viboot.
      My Computer

  2. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,834
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #12

    cereberus said:
    The other big plus (imo) is Macrium Viboot.
      My Computers

  3. storageman's Avatar
    Posts : 1,020
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.572
       #13

    cereberus said:
    RDR really makes a big difference when it applies.

    The other big plus (imo) is Macrium Viboot.
    I no longer have Acronis, but I also have AOMEI. Incremental backups is were M.R. really shines. I incrementally backup with AOMEI & M.R. each time. If I perform verify on both, M.R. Beats AOMEI by 80% (This has been an issue for me. I contacted AOMEI support with this problem, but they would not confirm that if you validate a incremental backup, I believe it validates not only the current working set but the entire backup). Turning off AOMEI validation and keeping it on in M.R., M.R. still beats AOMEI with the same incremental size by 10%.
      My Computers

  4. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,018
    Windows10
       #14

    storageman said:
    I no longer have Acronis, but I also have AOMEI. Incremental backups is were M.R. really shines. I incrementally backup with AOMEI & M.R. each time. If I perform verify on both, M.R. Beats AOMEI by 80% (This has been an issue for me. I contacted AOMEI support with this problem, but they would not confirm that if you validate a incremental backup, I believe it validates not only the current working set but the entire backup). Turning off AOMEI validation and keeping it on in M.R., M.R. still beats AOMEI with the same incremental size by 10%.
    Try using CBT to restore an incremental - it is very fast.
      My Computer

  5. Powerman's Avatar
    Posts : 12
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #15

    cereberus said:
    RDR really makes a big difference when it applies.
    The other big plus (imo) is Macrium Viboot.
    Will Viboot work with VMware Workstation?
    And what is CBT?

    Cheers.
      My Computer

  6. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,018
    Windows10
       #16

    Powerman said:
    Will Viboot work with VMware Workstation?
    And what is CBT?

    Cheers.
    1) No but allegedly it will one day.

    2) CBT is Change Block Tracking where a continuous record of changes is kept so when you do an incremental or differential backup, the backup starts immediately instead of having to compare existing install against backup to tell differences.
      My Computer

  7. jimbo45's Avatar
    Posts : 10,503
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #17

    cereberus said:
    1) No but allegedly it will one day.

    2) CBT is Change Block Tracking where a continuous record of changes is kept so when you do an incremental or differential backup, the backup starts immediately instead of having to compare existing install against backup to tell differences.
    Hi folks
    There's a lot of requests to VMWare for that -- not yet though in WKS 15 which is the current release.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer

  8. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 2,721
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #18

    Well...

    In my testing, Macrium Reflect beats the pants off Acronis in terms of speed.
    However, that is not the only element to consider when choosing a bare metal backup solution.

    Hope this helps.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       #19

    Macrium Reflect works quite well.
      My Computer

  10. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,018
    Windows10
       #20

    Compumind said:
    Well...

    In my testing, Macrium Reflect beats the pants off Acronis in terms of speed.
    However, that is not the only element to consider when choosing a bare metal backup solution.

    Hope this helps.
    I see nothing that Acronis offers domestic users to prefer it over Macrium Reflect Free or Macrium Reflect Home.

    Acronis does not care about the 'little' person, only corporate customers.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums