Macrium Reflect Restoring a Failed HD Image

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 331
    windows 10
       #1

    Macrium Reflect Restoring a Failed HD Image


    I have been finding my way.

    While I can navigate through my original file tree in the image I am now inferring that I cannot directly extract portions of it, say my User files.

    Restoring an image is an all or nothing proposition?.

    Is this correct?

    If so I am thinking that I need to restore the entire image from my failed drive to a blank drive, then extract the folders and files that I want?

    I am not seeing anything speaking to this in the V7 manual, but given my bleariness at the moment I may have missed it?

    Thanks for any thoughts.
      My Computer

  2.   My Computer


  3. Posts : 31,236
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #3

    mikeincousa said:
    While I can navigate through my original file tree in the image I am now inferring that I cannot directly extract portions of it, say my User files.

    Restoring an image is an all or nothing proposition?
    Restoring, yes. But you said you 'navigated through my original file tree' - did you mount the image as a virtual drive? If so, then you can copy any file(s) you want to your 'real' drive.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 15,380
    Windows10
       #4

    mikeincousa said:
    I have been finding my way.

    While I can navigate through my original file tree in the image I am now inferring that I cannot directly extract portions of it, say my User files.

    Restoring an image is an all or nothing proposition?.

    Is this correct?

    If so I am thinking that I need to restore the entire image from my failed drive to a blank drive, then extract the folders and files that I want?

    I am not seeing anything speaking to this in the V7 manual, but given my bleariness at the moment I may have missed it?

    Thanks for any thoughts.
    You do not have to restore every partition in an image backup but any partition is recovered in its entirety.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 15,380
    Windows10
       #5

    Bree said:
    Restoring, yes. But you said you 'navigated through my original file tree' - did you mount the image as a virtual drive? If so, then you can copy any file(s) you want to your 'real' drive.
    I recently tried to restore some folders from the user directories from an image backup by mounting it as a drive, but for some reason I ran into a permissions issue.

    I never got to the bottom of the issue but I am sure I never has this issue before. In the end, I actually did as OP asked, and restored image to another drive, and copied files that way.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 31,236
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #6

    cereberus said:
    I recently tried to restore some folders from the user directories from an image backup by mounting it as a drive, but for some reason I ran into a permissions issue.

    I never got to the bottom of the issue but I am sure I never has this issue before...
    There are options when mounting a macrium image to 'enable access to restricted folders' and to 'make writable'. The last one in particular would have let you take ownership of 'troublesome' folders, that would probably have helped. None of the changes get saved to the original image, so it's quite safe to make any changes you want to the virtual drive while it's mounted.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 15,380
    Windows10
       #7

    Bree said:
    There are options when mounting a macrium image to 'enable access to restricted folders' and to 'make writable'. The last one in particular would have let you take ownership of 'troublesome' folders, that would probably have helped. None of the changes get saved to the original image, so it's quite safe to make any changes you want to the virtual drive while it's mounted.
    Ah - good to know. As I said, I never really looked into it. Is it obvious how to do it?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 31,236
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    Yes, the two options are at the bottom of the Backup Selection window you get when you double-click on a Macrium image to mount it.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 15,380
    Windows10
       #9

    Bree said:
    Yes, the two options are at the bottom of the Backup Selection window you get when you double-click on a Macrium image to mount it.
    No matter how much I use MR, sonething new and useful pops up. No wonder I love it so much :-D (I mean that - not being sarcastic).
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 31,236
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #10

    cereberus said:
    No matter how much I use MR, something new and useful pops up...
    I'm relatively new to MR, having stubbornly stuck with backup & restore's 'create a system image' for as long as possible. By now I have learned to respect its 'endearing quirks' and can get it to work reliably. I reluctantly tried Macrium when it became apparent Microsoft had broken system imaging in 32-bit 1803.

    Such a refreshing change, so versatile and reliable. I'm loving it too
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums