Windows 10: Can anyone help me with some info about a WD Elements please?

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. RonBin79's Avatar
    Posts : 303
    Windows10 Home (x64) Version 1803
    Thread Starter
       25 Jun 2018 #11

    WD Elements


    Me again Dick, I have never opened the WD so have no idea what to do next, for instance, how do I start it receiving back ups again even more so, how do I get into the telling it to do things please??
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,033
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       25 Jun 2018 #12

    RonBin79 said: View Post
    Me again Dick, I have never opened the WD so have no idea what to do next, for instance, how do I start it receiving back ups again even more so, how do I get into the telling it to do things please??
    Pardon me for repeating, but how were the files you just deleted first created? Something had to do that. A Backup program or something similar.

    How did you delete the files just now?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,033
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       25 Jun 2018 #13

    @RonBin79

    I see you have signed-off and left for the day. I presume from previous threads and posts you've made that you are familiar with Windows, AV apps and Office, among others, so you have some experience with your system. If you require any more help using a WD external drive or backup methods, please post again.

    Thanks. TC......
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4. RonBin79's Avatar
    Posts : 303
    Windows10 Home (x64) Version 1803
    Thread Starter
       25 Jun 2018 #14

    WD Elements


    Hi Dick, the software that came with it. Unfortunately I hve lost all the paperwork so I have no idea how it works. When I first got it, I just inserted the USB cable and left it to its own devices and it has worked superbly ever since. Now I am completely lost... It's twenty past ten over here so will be going to bed soon. Hopefully you can leave me some instructions on how to make it work again??

    Cheers,
    Ron
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,033
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       25 Jun 2018 #15

    RonBin79 said: View Post
    Hi Dick, the software that came with it. Unfortunately I hve lost all the paperwork so I have no idea how it works. When I first got it, I just inserted the USB cable and left it to its own devices and it has worked superbly ever since. Now I am completely lost... It's twenty past ten over here so will be going to bed soon. Hopefully you can leave me some instructions on how to make it work again??

    Cheers,
    Ron
    I can't do that, but I can suggest a much better way. One that is recommended here and used by many. WD supplied software is not your best choice. Macrium is 1000 times better and much more flexible, and there are 100's on Tenforums with lots of experience with it. Works with any external drive, not just WD, so not tied to any hardware.

    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect | Windows 10 Tutorials

    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6. RonBin79's Avatar
    Posts : 303
    Windows10 Home (x64) Version 1803
    Thread Starter
       25 Jun 2018 #16

    WD Elements


    Tomcat, thanks for your interest. When I first bought the unit I just plugged in the USB plug and left it to its own devices and have never interfered with it since then. When I deleted the files, I went into My Pc and then "D" Elements. The unit gathered up 96 files for deletion and asked me if that was I wanted to do so I said yes so all the files ere destroyed. The white light at the back of the unit continually flashes but when I go back to My Pc, Elements, the folder is empty so I am guessing I have destroyed the file that starts the unit working. No a good move. Have you idea as to what I should do to overcome the problem please? it is twenty minutes past ten in the evening here so will be trotting off to bed soon. I would be very grateful if you could leave me any instructions that would help me overcome the problem which I can pic up tomorrow morning??

    Cheers..
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,033
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       25 Jun 2018 #17

    RonBin79 said: View Post
    Tomcat, thanks for your interest. When I first bought the unit I just plugged in the USB plug and left it to its own devices and have never interfered with it since then. When I deleted the files, I went into My Pc and then "D" Elements. The unit gathered up 96 files for deletion and asked me if that was I wanted to do so I said yes so all the files ere destroyed. The white light at the back of the unit continually flashes but when I go back to My Pc, Elements, the folder is empty so I am guessing I have destroyed the file that starts the unit working. No a good move. Have you idea as to what I should do to overcome the problem please? it is twenty minutes past ten in the evening here so will be trotting off to bed soon. I would be very grateful if you could leave me any instructions that would help me overcome the problem which I can pic up tomorrow morning??

    Cheers..
    See what I just posted about Macrium.....
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8. essenbe's Avatar
    Posts : 11,342
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Pro Insider
       25 Jun 2018 #18

    RonBin79, I agree 100% with Tomcat's post about using Macrium. Probably the majority of us here use it. There is not a better choice.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    25 Jun 2018 #19

    I have a WD My Passport Ultra
    When I open it there are some items one of which is a folder
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	User Manuals.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	193516

    Next screen allows the language to use
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eng.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	193517

    Next screen provides the manual
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	User Manual.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	193518

    At one time I did have a WD Elements.
    --- I tried to find information on WD Elements on WD's website, but more information would be to be known in order to do so
    Anyway unless the original WD items have been removed when you open your WD Elements folder , it wouldn’t surprise me that you will have access to the user manual for your unit.

    On how your WD Elements is creating “backups”
    --- When you first installed your WD Elements you answered some setup questions and among them deals with automatically backing up your files and you most likely allowed that. That’s why your files are being backed up.
    --- You probably already know this, but you are not creating system image backups. You could do so by using their software but if I remember correctly is a paid for feature and might even be another company’s software, not sure.

    Last but not least and most important, please do consider Macrium Reflect Free as mentioned.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,033
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       25 Jun 2018 #20

    MeAndMyComputer said: View Post
    I have a WD My Passport Ultra
    When I open it there are some items one of which is a folder
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	User Manuals.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	193516

    Next screen allows the language to use
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eng.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	193517

    Next screen provides the manual
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	User Manual.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	193518

    At one time I did have a WD Elements.
    --- I tried to find information on WD Elements on WD's website, but more information would be to be known in order to do so
    Anyway unless the original WD items have been removed when you open your WD Elements folder , it wouldn’t surprise me that you will have access to the user manual for your unit.

    On how your WD Elements is creating “backups”
    --- When you first installed your WD Elements you answered some setup questions and among them deals with automatically backing up your files and you most likely allowed that. That’s why your files are being backed up.
    --- You probably already know this, but you are not creating system image backups. You could do so by using their software but if I remember correctly is a paid for feature and might even be another company’s software, not sure.

    Last but not least and most important, please do consider Macrium Reflect Free as mentioned.
    Thanks for that.....unfortunately, he deleted all files on the drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Related Threads
What should you do when both Firefox and Chrome warn you that a web page loaded over HTTPS is not fully secure because some elements on the page (like images) were not loaded over a secure connection? I get this warning on the Dell website, as...
Solved WD Elements 2 TB Drive Problem in Drivers and Hardware
Another thread (External Hard Drive (WD Elements) is visible in PW but not in explorer) prompted me to post this. I've got the WD Elements External drive connected with a USB cable. Love it, works great. Until I burn a DVD with the OEM burner in...
I had an hp computer that ran windows 7. I went ahead and upgraded it to windows 10. This computer also ran Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 that I received free with an Epson scanner. I recently upgraded to a new computer. Still hp. Came with Windows...
Just for reference purposes For those who are interested in viewing the status or tracking of Windows 10 & Office with respect to builds, packages, official updates, ESD's, etc., you can visit the following page via the link below. I did...
Hello, i ran a chkdsk and as you can see this is what it says , i don't know how to proceed with this. Thank you for your help

Tags for this Thread

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51.
Find Us