Windows 10: System restore is unsuccessful

  1.    30 Apr 2018 #1

    System restore is unsuccessful


    I have tried different restore points, in safe mode and not in safe mode and both come up as unsuccessful. Even my windows update has failed. What is going on, cause I'm having issues with my printer/scanner not working and was trying to use restore and now nothing is working. HELP!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 10,595
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       30 Apr 2018 #2

    Hi debgram

    I know its two late now but could I suggest a product like Macrium Reflect going forward. Free, reliable and member recommended. You can store Images on your HDD for quick recovery and on an external drive to protect against a dead drive.

    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

    Did you update to V1803 today?

    A number of printers have a very set install order. You need to install drivers before the machine sees printer.

    I would head to manufacture site and download the latest and greatest drivers / software for your device. Shut off existing printer, then uninstalled the device in settings and remove any programs in apps. Then kick off the driver / software install and when install says it needs or can't can't printer turn it / connect it.

    Things should be back to normal. (Fingers crossed)


    Ken
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    30 Apr 2018 #3

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Hi debgram

    I know its two late now but could I suggest a product like Macrium Reflect going forward. Free, reliable and member recommended. You can store Images on your HDD for quick recovery and on an external drive to protect against a dead drive.

    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

    Did you update to V1803 today?

    A number of printers have a very set install order. You need to install drivers before the machine sees printer.

    I would head to manufacture site and download the latest and greatest drivers / software for your device. Shut off existing printer, then uninstalled the device in settings and remove any programs in apps. Then kick off the driver / software install and when install says it needs or can't can't printer turn it / connect it.

    Things should be back to normal. (Fingers crossed)


    Ken

    Printer doesn't have new drivers. It worked fine yesterday. Windows update isn't downloading for me keep getting error in database.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Caledon Ken's Avatar
    Posts : 10,595
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 1803
       30 Apr 2018 #4

    Interesting.

    If your printer / scanner is wireless you could also power reset router, unplug, count to 20 slowly, plug in. If it were just print I would also say clear the print queue, could be a job that is stuck. (and power cycle printer / scanner)

    The procedure above is what I do when my clients get printer issues. Grab the latest drivers, even if they are not new.

    For first attempt to fix updates - Start => Settings => Update and Security => Troubleshoot => Windows Update

    Then do a restart and try again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Apr 2018 #5

    Caledon Ken said: View Post
    Interesting.

    If your printer / scanner is wireless you could also power reset router, unplug, count to 20 slowly, plug in. If it were just print I would also say clear the print queue, could be a job that is stuck. (and power cycle printer / scanner)

    The procedure above is what I do when my clients get printer issues. Grab the latest drivers, even if they are not new.

    For first attempt to fix updates - Start => Settings => Update and Security => Troubleshoot => Windows Update

    Then do a restart and try again.
    Done that with the reset, twice even. The windows update I did that too, that's where the database error shows up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Apr 2018 #6

    Windows update goes to 49% and says for me to uninstall Avira Anivir but I don't have that on my pc. I looked in registry and all over, I don't have it anywhere to remove it so update stops.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 20,885
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       01 May 2018 #7

    Each malware software product can be uninstall but may leave behind fragments in the registry.
    Run the Avira uninstall tool to see if it can find the fragments.
    Avira AntiVir Removal Tool - Download
    How do I uninstall my Avira product?...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    01 May 2018 #8

    zbook said: View Post
    Each malware software product can be uninstall but may leave behind fragments in the registry.
    Run the Avira uninstall tool to see if it can find the fragments.
    Avira AntiVir Removal Tool - Download
    How do I uninstall my Avira product?...
    I tried that but it said nothing found, I found an application appraiser script and it found this c:\windows\syswow64\drivers\avipbb.sys I removed it and now trying to download update again. Still can't get system restore to work right.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Yesterday I was facing some problem with my computer with windows 10 home and so I decided to perform a system restore which i had created a few days back ago. After starting system restore and allowing it for almost an hour, the laptop screen was...
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for anyone that helps. I am really troubled as I have been googling the hell out of this and trying many solutions with none of them working. 1) My pc first entered a loop when I tried to remove mcafee with...
Since upgrading system restore is not creating restore points automatically. I have to create them manually and then they are being deleted automatically every 3 - 7 days. I tried allocating more disk space to restore but that has done no good. I...
Maybe I have a misunderstanding of how System Restore works. Yesterday I uninstalled a program that I'd like to now get back. The company that made the program no longer offers archive downloads for that program in particular. Today it occurred to...
So why did Microsoft change this? If I remember correctly all previous versions would create a system restore point before doing Microsoft updates. Since 10 installed all updates that come in for me are downloaded and installed without a restore...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37.
Find Us