Best backup and sync tool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 20
    Windows 10 unfortunately
       29 Apr 2018 #1

    Best backup and sync tool


    Hey all,

    Two goals:

    1.) I have a brand new Win10 laptop, haven't installed anything at all yet.
    Want to back it up somehow so I can (quickly and easily) restore to that factory fresh point later.

    2.) I want to sync all my files to an external hard drive (and then sync that hdd to another for dual backup). I want it to be a no-brainer, so if I rename or delete files on my laptop, it reflects it in the backup next time I back up.

    Is there a great tool that will do both?
    Or need two programs?

    I tried SyncToy, which seemed to work great. But it often said it missed a couple files each time, that it couldn't back up some how.

    Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    29 Apr 2018 #2

    1) Macrium Reflect Free
    2) FreeFileSync
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,794
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       29 Apr 2018 #3

    Hoffl said: View Post
    Hey all,

    Two goals:

    1.) I have a brand new Win10 laptop, haven't installed anything at all yet.
    Want to back it up somehow so I can (quickly and easily) restore to that factory fresh point later.

    2.) I want to sync all my files to an external hard drive (and then sync that hdd to another for dual backup). I want it to be a no-brainer, so if I rename or delete files on my laptop, it reflects it in the backup next time I back up.

    Is there a great tool that will do both?
    Or need two programs?

    I tried SyncToy, which seemed to work great. But it often said it missed a couple files each time, that it couldn't back up some how.

    Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks
    Yes, Macrium is best for your image/system backups.

    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

    SyncToy is excellent, and native MS. Most likely the files you are seeing "missed" are protected system files, like NTUser.dat. Should be a red message at the top after running it, where you can check that. Edit your sync definitions to omit system files. You would never want to restore them, anyway....just your personal data. The error should go away.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-04-29_12h51_43.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	186591
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 20
    Windows 10 unfortunately
    Thread Starter
       29 Apr 2018 #4

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    SyncToy is excellent, and native MS. Most likely the files you are seeing "missed" are protected system files, like NTUser.dat. Should be a red message at the top after running it, where you can check that. Edit your sync definitions to omit system files. You would never want to restore them, anyway....just your personal data. The error should go away.
    Great. Thank you. But does SyncToy work for Windows 10? I see a lot of Google search questions for SyncToy alternative for Win10.

    Never used Win10 till now, only used SyncToy previously on Win7.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    29 Apr 2018 #5

    I use Uranium-Backup to back up to my NAS drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6. Phone Man's Avatar
    Posts : 887
    Windows 10 Pro 1803 64 bit
       29 Apr 2018 #6

    I use Macrium for my OS and SyncToy for my data and running on W10.
    Years ago I saw posts on missing files and did see a few myself.
    I found that if you use the Preview at the bottom of page and then Run it seams to run fine.

    I have two external USB drives (MyBook and Ultra) and backup from my main system to each.

    My Backup folder is where I store my Macrium image files for my 3 systems as you can see I backup that folder to the external drives using SyncToy.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SyncToy.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	186625

    Jim
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 37,794
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       29 Apr 2018 #7

    Hoffl said: View Post
    Great. Thank you. But does SyncToy work for Windows 10? I see a lot of Google search questions for SyncToy alternative for Win10.

    Never used Win10 till now, only used SyncToy previously on Win7.
    Sorry, @Hoffl - been away for a while. Absolutely works with Win 10! Net is full of search results like that. Most are from other vendors as a way to push their product. You do a plain search on SyncToy or lots of other products, and you'll get results for "Alternatives for __________", just fill in the blanks. My screenshot I posted is from Windows 10 Pro 16299, FCU. And it works on all the flavors of Insider builds, too. It's native MS, it just works.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 20
    Windows 10 unfortunately
    Thread Starter
       30 Apr 2018 #8

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Sorry, @Hoffl - been away for a while. Absolutely works with Win 10! ... My screenshot I posted is from Windows 10 Pro 16299, FCU. And it works on all the flavors of Insider builds, too. It's native MS, it just works.
    Great! Thanks a lot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 20
    Windows 10 unfortunately
    Thread Starter
       30 Apr 2018 #9

    Thanks everyone. Looking to try Macrium Reflect Free. Couple questions:

    1. The Macrium videos I watched said you have to connect to internet to (download and) install Reflect to your PC. My new PC is not connected to the internet yet, and I don't want it to be, because I want to capture an image backup before any Microsoft updates (which I assume will happen as soon as I connect to internet...). Is there a way to install and create a bootable system backup without connecting to the internet (to download Reflect or Windows PE thing it seems to require)?

    2. If Macrium Reflect is so good and so powerful, how can it be free? I would rather pay for something if I could know for certain it keeps all my data strictly to myself, and never installs a keylogger or "phones home" with my data or something like that. Not trying to be cynical or disrespectful... just very cautious!

    Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 179
    Windows 10 Pro 1809 (17763.134)
       30 Apr 2018 #10

    Hoffl said: View Post
    Thanks everyone. Looking to try Macrium Reflect Free. Couple questions:

    1. The Macrium videos I watched said you have to connect to internet to (download and) install Reflect to your PC. My new PC is not connected to the internet yet, and I don't want it to be, because I want to capture an image backup before any Microsoft updates (which I assume will happen as soon as I connect to internet...). Is there a way to install and create a bootable system backup without connecting to the internet (to download Reflect or Windows PE thing it seems to require)?

    2. If Macrium Reflect is so good and so powerful, how can it be free? I would rather pay for something if I could know for certain it keeps all my data strictly to myself, and never installs a keylogger or "phones home" with my data or something like that. Not trying to be cynical or disrespectful... just very cautious!

    Thanks!
    1. You need to download the installer from the net first. Install the software and create the rescue disk (WinPE).
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Occasionally I do a sync between a portable drive and my work PC (Windows 10) using Free File Sync. The latest sync, February 20, I think I tweaked the settings I normally do and it deleted a couple files. I was able to find most of them in a...
I have just installed Google Backup & Sync - the new replacement for Google Drive. In the drive I downloaded and installed the Cloud ePub Reader app. I now wish to uninstall this app but I cannot see any way of doing this. Does anyone know how to...
Source: G Suite Update Alerts: Backup and Sync from Google available soon
Hi, A handy tool, made by me, to view device/driver info and backup "installed" drivers. When use this tool before formatting, drivers can be reused after fresh windows installation. This tool is for Windows 7/8/10 desktop versions. ...
Share, Sync & BackUp among gadgets in Network and Sharing
Hello Guys, I have a Windows 10 Laptop, Android phone, Windows phone and an iPad. I would like to have a couple of selected folders that must remain in SYNC on ALL devices. Then a few folders on each of my mobile devices to be backed up on my...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:51.
Find Us