Windows 10: Macrium Free - absolutely no reason to avoid taking backups 4 Mins !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    2 Weeks Ago #21

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    I'll have to admit I do not know what an FDE means.
    FDE means Full Disk Encryption. It means that the whole disk is encrypted rather than just some files - this means that temporary files and so on are not available if you lose your device. Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android all do this.

    I have twice left my laptop in the pub (I got it back once though in the late '90's) and I have lost more mobile phones than I care to think of.

    If your disk is encrypted no-one can see your embarrassing photos. Or bank details. Or whatever.

    If you encrypt your disk and don't encrypt your backup then your backup is as much of a risk to you in terms of identity theft as your original device.

    As you keep your backups in a safe I think that is pretty safe but personally I would encrypt it as well.

    I'm not saying not to do backups - just that there is something else to consider.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 32,316
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       2 Weeks Ago #22

    lx07 said: View Post
    FDE means Full Disk Encryption. It means that the whole disk is encrypted rather than just some files - this means that temporary files and so on are not available if you lose your device. Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android all do this.

    I have twice left my laptop in the pub (I got it back once though in the late '90's) and I have lost more mobile phones than I care to think of.

    If your disk is encrypted no-one can see your embarrassing photos. Or bank details. Or whatever.

    If you encrypt your disk and don't encrypt your backup then your backup is as much of a risk to you in terms of identity theft as your original device.

    As you keep your backups in a safe I think that is pretty safe but personally I would encrypt it as well.

    I'm not saying not to do backups - just that there is something else to consider.
    Understood.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,242
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       2 Weeks Ago #23

    Hi,
    Not sure why anyone would leave the disk.. with system images installed silly is what silly does I suppose
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 32,316
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       2 Weeks Ago #24

    ThrashZone said: View Post
    Hi,
    Not sure why anyone would leave the disk.. with system images installed silly is what silly does I suppose
    Not following you. Slow Saturday morning........
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 3,242
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       2 Weeks Ago #25

    Hi,
    Saying only time I personally have my backup disk connected is when I'm either creating one or restoring one
    Otherwise it's in a drawer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 32,316
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       2 Weeks Ago #26

    ThrashZone said: View Post
    Hi,
    Saying only time I personally have my backup disk connected is when I'm either creating one or restoring one
    Otherwise it's in a drawer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    2 Weeks Ago #27

    ThrashZone said: View Post
    Hi,
    Saying only time I personally have my backup disk connected is when I'm either creating one or restoring one
    Otherwise it's in a drawer.
    Macrium Image Guardian (not on free version) prevents other tools manipulating online backups. Of course, nothing can protect an online backup if pc gets controlled remotely.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    2 Weeks Ago #28

    I am so glad I found this forum and learned of Macrium. I was having fits with my old backup program(acronis) trying to boot up and work correctly. I still cannot believe I had not heard of Macrium before lol. This is such a great program! It is able to use a network when booted from the USB or DVD. Saved me such a headache with that. Now I have a clean install of both my PC's saved and know for a fact I can see them over the network and restore them if needed. Already done it twice.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 32,316
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       2 Weeks Ago #29

    Access Denied said: View Post
    I am so glad I found this forum and learned of Macrium. I was having fits with my old backup program(acronis) trying to boot up and work correctly. I still cannot believe I had not heard of Macrium before lol. This is such a great program! It is able to use a network when booted from the USB or DVD. Saved me such a headache with that. Now I have a clean install of both my PC's saved and know for a fact I can see them over the network and restore them if needed. Already done it twice.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    2 Weeks Ago #30

    Access Denied said: View Post
    I am so glad I found this forum and learned of Macrium. I was having fits with my old backup program(acronis) trying to boot up and work correctly. I still cannot believe I had not heard of Macrium before lol. This is such a great program! It is able to use a network when booted from the USB or DVD. Saved me such a headache with that. Now I have a clean install of both my PC's saved and know for a fact I can see them over the network and restore them if needed. Already done it twice.
    If I had not had MR during the last 3 + years of being an Insider, I would have had to re install Windows plus all of my programs probably ~ 10 times or so. Macrium Rocks
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Hi folks Just another post telling people they should ALWAYS take backups Just did an average laptop backup with a fair amount of programs (Office suite, photoshop etc) with Macrium to external HDD. Entire thing only took 8 mins. 164768 ...
    Just seen this on Macrium Forum. Mind you it might as well have been written in High Vulcan for all I understand it - LOL. What is interesting is implication that they are going to jump to 7.1 directly with free version? Apologies for the...
    I have just installed Macrium Reflect Free 6.3 and cannot seem to find a way to create only Full backups. I did this on both Acronis and Paragon. How can I set up Reflect to do this? Thank you.
    Hi there There's no excuse these days for NOT taking backups Windows 10 X-64 on laptop -- 232 GB SSD backed up to external 232 GB SSD connected via USB3-->sata connector. 8 Mins to do --and that includes running an active Virtual Machine...
    Have 691 GB free on 3 TB drive, backup every night. Trying to save 7 but Macrium won't go beyond 6 no matter what I set it at. Free space requirement is set to 400 GB. Ideas? Paid version if that matters...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59.
    Find Us