Windows 10: cloning Windows 10

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    08 Mar 2018 #31

    zolotoy said: View Post
    I was wrong. The source does have all these partitions.
    You should be good to go as is. This being Windows 10, I would first try without disabling secure boot. Time enough for that stuff if it doesn't work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,366
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       08 Mar 2018 #32

    Hi,
    I believe the op has already been trying with the bios as default and just attempting boot to the clone and failing :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    08 Mar 2018 #33

    The boot is uefi is that set in the bios or is it set to legancy tiun on uefi and secure boot try with just the one drive powered up
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    08 Mar 2018 #34

    ThrashZone said: View Post
    Hi,
    I believe the op has already been trying with the bios as default and just attempting boot to the clone and failing :)
    Looks to me like OP only got all partitions properly cloned and advised to remove Disk 0 and give it a try just recently - and that initial try hasn't occurred while they ask questions about number of partitions and the secure boot thing brought up. Don't see why the secure boot thing is being interjected at this early phase.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 368
    trying to install win10
       08 Mar 2018 #35

    zolotoy said: View Post
    I tried MiniTool. It copied all partions, but none was marked as Boot.
    It only shows as boot if you are booted into it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Mar 2018 #36

    ThrashZone said: View Post
    Hi,
    Not knowing your bios
    I would assume enter the boot section,
    You should see options and states of those options see if you can see them on top
    If not scroll to the bottom and see if it's there
    Enter it if so
    To disable secure boot all that one has to do is manage secure boot keys
    Then you should see an option to delete keys
    Deleting the secure boot key will disable secure boot.
    F10 to save and exit.
    Why on earth are you telling OP to disable secure boot. Windows 10 is secure boot friendly and does not need it disabling to run or be installed. It certainly has nothing to do with cloning either - this is a total red herring.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    09 Mar 2018 #37

    Ok, here is the situation. I have removed my old drive and connected the new one to the same connector. Now bios recognizes the new drive as bootable. But.... not that fast. Here are some pictures of the boot menu I took with my phone:
    1. Boot menu
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180309_02_51_33_Pro.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	180137
    2. Boot Overrides
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180309_02_52_01_Pro.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	180138

    Strange thing is happening. I have two Windows boot managers in Boot menu. Regardless which I choose the computer is not booting up. It gets quickly to some blue screen not bsod, but rather Windows with nothing on it, waits for maybe 20 sec and restarts. The process keeps looping then. But if I select Windows Boot Manager override, and not just any, but the one that is highlighted then computer boots normally as I am able to post this message right now. Any idea what's gong on?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 2,429
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       09 Mar 2018 #38

    zolotoy said: View Post
    Ok, here is the situation. I have removed my old drive and connected the new one to the same connector. Now bios recognizes the new drive as bootable. But.... not that fast. Here are some pictures of the boot menu I took with my phone:
    1. Boot menu
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180309_02_51_33_Pro.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	180137
    2. Boot Overrides
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180309_02_52_01_Pro.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	180138

    Strange thing is happening. I have two Windows boot managers in Boot menu. Regardless which I choose the computer is not booting up. It gets quickly to some blue screen not bsod, but rather Windows with nothing on it, waits for maybe 20 sec and restarts. The process keeps looping then. But if I select Windows Boot Manager override, and not just any, but the one that is highlighted then computer boots normally as I am able to post this message right now. Any idea what's gong on?
    This is normal since you had 2 SSD's with windows installed, each will have its own Windows Boot Manager. However, the UEFI firmware got corrupted and have 2 Windows Boot Manager pointing at the same 500GB SSD. Turn off the PC completely before proceed to next step below.

    When you cloned from one disk to another with different capacities, you must rebuild the BCD in order to boot.
    Boot up the Macrium rescue disk, click on "Fix Windows Boot Problems", follow the screen to rebuild the BCD then you should be able to boot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    09 Mar 2018 #39

    topgundcp said: View Post
    ...Boot up the Macrium rescue disk, click on "Fix Windows Boot Problems", follow the screen to rebuild the BCD then you should be able to boot.
    Exactly. Hopefully, third advice takes. Some specifics, repeated from above for convenience: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/di...+boot+problems
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 9
    Win 10 Pro x64 v.1709
       09 Mar 2018 #40

    zolotoy said: View Post
    I am not sure. But I think with a partition.Attachment 180000

    The small 512 MB partition I created after the clone.
    - This is your problem -

    If you created it after the clone, then trhere are no bootablefiles on the 512MB partition, and furthermore, no links between that partition and C:

    Easiest way, use MiniToolPartitionWizard, its free. Make a bootable USb with it, and then clone the DISK (not partition) to the new DISK.

    :)


    If you want to go the more tech route and learn something new, then you need to create & assign/link the BootConfigurationData (CBD) .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Cloning Windows 10 in Backup and Restore
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction w/this question. I have 2 hard drives: Drive A: Windows 7 Pro 64Bit connected to my mobo & running ok. Drive B: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit downloaded during the free upgrade period. ...
Ok, so I just recently got an ASUS GL553VD. Since it didn't come with an SSD, I decided to add one. I got a Samsung NVMe 960 EVO SSD and installed it into the laptop, in addition to the 1 TB HDD that was already there. After looking up how to...
OEM cloning windows 10 in Installation and Upgrade
Hi, I purchased a laptop with OEM windows 8.1 last year and managed to clone the HDD to an SSD after much trial and error. I wish to now upgrade to windows 10 on this cloned SSD but am concerned that I may run into issues with regard...
Cloning Windows 10 multiple PCs in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
I manage a school, have 40 desktop computers. We use Windows 8.1, which were cloned, Windows 8.1 has adapted very well to other computers (unlike hardware). I wanted to do the same with Windows 10. But it does not fit with any other hardware...
Windows 10 Activation and cloning HDD in Windows Updates and Activation
Background: We have purchased 14 HP EliteBook 820 laptops (which come with Windows 8.1 downgraded to Win 7 preinstalled) to rollout within our company and my usual method for laptop rollouts is to setup one with our corporate apps etc, run SysPrep...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:18.
Find Us