Windows 10: System Image not Restoring. Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    12 Feb 2018 #1

    System Image not Restoring.


    Hi guys, so i reset my Toshiba laptop to its original factory settings and it came with windows 10 home. Then i had to clean install the windows on my laptop again because i was having some trouble with the touchpad drivers, so i wiped C. drive fully and installed window 10 pro on it. But before doing so i made the backup of system image of my laptop on an external hard drive through the windows 10 inbuilt backup utility. But now when i go to advanced settings and system image restore on my laptop and try to restore that system image , i get (To restore this computer, windows need to format the drive that the windows Recovery Environment is currently running on.) So it means this is a no go and when i try to restore the system image using a window usb drive (Repair, advanced, system image restore) it does catch the backup image that i had created but as soon as the restore process starts, it fails with the (0x80042302) error. I am attaching the pics for both restore procedure i had tried ( Image 1 and 2 is for the restore method using windows running on lappy) and ( Image 3,4 & 5 is for the restore method using windows usb drive) I hope someone will be able to help me restore my data.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image 2.jpg   Image 1.jpg   Image 5.jpg   Image 4.jpg   Image 3.jpg  

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,169
    W10 pro x64 and W8.1 x86
       12 Feb 2018 #2

    Quick thoughts to what is probably a non solvable issue in its present form......

    If you backed up a 'system image' (and not quite sure what you did there but I take it to mean backing up the recovery partition ?) then I don't think you will ever get it to restore the laptop back to 'out of the box' condidtion because manufacturers restore partitions often seem inextricably linked to the BIOS and the unique recovery methods they ask you to use. Casually backing up and restoring that image breaks that link.

    My advice (fwiw, but I wouldn't hesitate now) would be to use the Media Creation Tool to 100% clean install W10 and for you to use the advanced options to totally wipe and remove all existing partitions first. Let W10 pick the drivers and only go looking to fix any drivers that are missing or don't work later. With a bit of luck you should find W10 does a good job of the whole procedure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 6,470
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       12 Feb 2018 #3

    @Ryan1991,
    This appears to be a bug in system restore when restoring on certain efi systems. Apparently this is a known bug, but as the built-in system imagining is deprecated in Fall creators update it's unlikely Microsoft are going to put much effort into fixing this.

    Microsoft said:
    System Image Backup (SIB) Solution
    We recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.
    Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

    There is a known workaround, detailed in the post at the top of page 5 in this thread.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=1509757503539

    Once you have a working system, take Microsoft's advice and look at ' full-disk backup solutions from other vendors'. Most here recommend Macrium Reflect (free).
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    12 Feb 2018 #4

    @Bree, I do have a working system and now i am using Macrium Reflect to do all my backs on windows pc but it was too late for the first backup i made because i came back to a windows laptop after a few years ( been using macbook ) and i did not know that Microsoft has messed up with the inbuilt backup utility on windows 10. But the thing is i need to restore that laptop to its factory softwares it came with and that system image backup is the only solution for it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 6,470
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       12 Feb 2018 #5

    The rather complicated workaround on page 5 of https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=1509757503539 can apparently successfully restore the system image where system restore itself fails.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    12 Feb 2018 #6

    Bree said: View Post
    The rather complicated workaround on page 5 of https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=1509757503539 can apparently successfully restore the system image where system restore itself fails.
    Yeah, i been through that thread few days before and tried using that method mentioned on page 5. And i gave up on step 8 where it says to launch powershell and execute because i think i was getting something like its not a internal or external command or command not found ( maybe i was doing something wrong, i remember i just copy pasted those command lines and pressed enter ). So if you could please explain to me how to execute those commands properly, that would be great. And another thing, my laptop came with the windows 10 home build made in mid 2015 so do you think if i download the window 10 build from that time and try the restore process, that i may be successful in it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    12 Feb 2018 #7

    Ryan1991 said: View Post
    @Bree, I do have a working system and now i am using Macrium Reflect to do all my backs on windows pc but it was too late for the first backup i made because i came back to a windows laptop after a few years ( been using macbook ) and i did not know that Microsoft has messed up with the inbuilt backup utility on windows 10. But the thing is i need to restore that laptop to its factory softwares it came with and that system image backup is the only solution for it.
    Not so much they messed up but simply have not developed it for years. They have been trying to drop it for years.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    12 Feb 2018 #8

    Ryan1991 said: View Post
    Yeah, i been through that thread few days before and tried using that method mentioned on page 5. And i gave up on step 8 where it says to launch powershell and execute because i think i was getting something like its not a internal or external command or command not found ( maybe i was doing something wrong, i remember i just copy pasted those command lines and pressed enter ). So if you could please explain to me how to execute those commands properly, that would be great. And another thing, my laptop came with the windows 10 home build made in mid 2015 so do you think if i download the window 10 build from that time and try the restore process, that i may be successful in it?
    I doubt that will make any difference. As I said in previous post, it has not been deblveloped for years.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 6,470
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       12 Feb 2018 #9

    Ryan1991 said: View Post
    Yeah, i been through that thread few days before and tried using that method mentioned on page 5. And i gave up on step 8 where it says to launch powershell and execute because i think i was getting something like its not a internal or external command or command not found ( maybe i was doing something wrong, i remember i just copy pasted those command lines and pressed enter ). So if you could please explain to me how to execute those commands properly, that would be great....
    The first steps in that workaround are to do a clean install of Windows 10 and log in. That should have given you a working Powershell. If you don't have Powershell, maybe the install wasn't successful? Or it may be that you need to run Powershell as administrator to run those commands? My systems are mbr, so I cannot reproduce your problem to test this.

    And another thing, my laptop came with the windows 10 home build made in mid 2015 so do you think if i download the window 10 build from that time and try the restore process, that i may be successful in it?
    That would be most likely the original RTM 10240. I suspect system restore is virtually unchanged from that edition, but it may be worth a try. The install media for that version is difficult to get from Microsoft, but the 3rd-party tool https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techno...-download-tool can generate links to the ISO direct from Microsoft.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    12 Feb 2018 #10

    @Bree thanks for your help. Will give it a try.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Related Threads
    I try to keep my system as clean as possible by restoring when problems occur that could potentially corrupt files. My question is: how do you determine when it is worth restoring a system image vs. other options that donít require a restore? What...
    Hi All Lately been having minor system issues, know if I do restore my image, it's basically doing a clean install correct? only problem last time I restored the image, desktop wouldn't activate, as it somehow pickup my Windows 8.1 key in bios,...
    I have an ASUS laptop which came with 8.0. When I got it I made a restore image copy. The laptop was then upgraded to win 10. I did not make a new restore image copy. Now I have a problem the laptop keeps rebooting tried restore but after a while...
    Hi: I built a new desktop to get Windows 10 as my old hardware with Windows 7 was not upgradable. I have been able to install Windows 10Pro except that I am getting frequent disk errors ( system trying to clean up at boot time). I have another...
    I am in the process of creating an Image of HP Pavillion DVT7 2200 Notebook now. Once it completes I would really appreciate getting some steps to follow to restore it. The Laptop I have Macrium Reflect running on now will have the HD replaced as...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46.
    Find Us