Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - 32 & 64 bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Jimmyb's Avatar
    Posts : 111
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       #1

    Macrium Bootable Rescue USB - 32 & 64 bit


    I have a purchased copy of Macruim Reflect running on my Main (64bit) W10 PC, and a free copy of Reflect running on my detachable laptop, which, though is 64 bit, only runs W10 32 bit.
    My question is simple, do I need two separate Macruim USB bootable Rescue Media, or will the a single USB do both.
      My Computer

  2. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,126
    Windows10
       #2

    In theory if you create a 32bit Rescue drive, it will work on either PC. A 64bit will not work on 32bit OS. You would have to set 64bit pc to boot in legacy bios mode as well each time you use it if PC is UEFI. You would not need to do that on laptop if it is a 32bit uefi based device (common on tablets/hybrids)

    Not only that, drivers may not be totally compatible fir each device. MR is good like that but not perfect.

    In the end, it is simpler and guaranteed to have a Rescue Drive per device where possible, created from that device.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,543
       #3

    +1 cereberus; it is best to make from within each computer's own MR (whether 6 or 7, whether free or pay-for) the rescue USB and the rescue DVD; I found it best to have both a USB (8GB is enough) and a DVD boot -- because sometimes the computer will not boot one but will boot the other -- go figure.
      My Computer

  4. Jimmyb's Avatar
    Posts : 111
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #4

    @cereberus & @RolandJS both many thanks for your input, looks like I need to I ensure I have a boot device for each.
      My Computer

  5. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,126
    Windows10
       #5

    RolandJS said:
    +1 cereberus; it is best to make from within each computer's own MR (whether 6 or 7, whether free or pay-for) the rescue USB and the rescue DVD; I found it best to have both a USB (8GB is enough) and a DVD boot -- because sometimes the computer will not boot one but will boot the other -- go figure.
    8GB?

    A 500 MB drive is big enough for a Macroum Rescue Drive!
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,543
       #6

    "...USB (8GB is enough)..." I was posting about the size of USB sticks; although, presently, 16GB sticks are very common, often for sale. I purchased a "whose mess of 8GB sticks" -- haven't even used 1/2 of 'em yet.
      My Computer

  7. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,126
    Windows10
       #7

    RolandJS said:
    "...USB (8GB is enough)..." I was posting about the size of USB sticks; although, presently, 16GB sticks are very common, often for sale. I purchased a "whose mess of 8GB sticks" -- haven't even used 1/2 of 'em yet.
    Just about any usb drive will suit. Your post could be interpreted as meaning that less than 8GB will not be enough.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,543
       #8

    I think even 4GB sticks would be quite enough; However, how many 4 or 5GB sticks have you seen for sales these days? :)
      My Computer

  9. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,126
    Windows10
       #9

    RolandJS said:
    I think even 4GB sticks would be quite enough; However, how many 4 or 5GB sticks have you seen for sales these days? :)
    Man - this is like pulling teeth out!

    I have told you - a 500 MB drive is big enough. Stop confusing things by talking abou 8GB, now 4GB!

    Users often have old lower capacity drives lying around. It is irrelevant what is on sale.
      My Computer

  10. Jimmyb's Avatar
    Posts : 111
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #10

    cereberus said:
    Man - this is like pulling teeth out!

    I have told you - a 500 MB drive is big enough. Stop confusing things by talking abou 8GB, now 4GB!

    Users often have old lower capacity drives lying around. It is irrelevant what is on sale.
    @cereberus Many thanks, I understand your point, and as you correctly point out a lot of us have small size USB sticks hanging about. Though I do find it difficult to find a use for 32 & 64 MB drives!!
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums