Windows 10: Lappy Loaded with Malware-Type Stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 18,887
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17083
       05 Nov 2017 #1

    Lappy Loaded with Malware-Type Stuff


    Looks like I've gotten into something Gramma's Lye Soap won't take off.

    There are a number of "security" type apps on the Lappy that I don't recognize and have never heard anyone at TF mention.

    What would be a good site to get info on them? It's been awhile since I got hold of anything like this.

    PC Accellerate seems to be able to find problems, but then wants you to pay to get rid of 'em. So, it's outta here!

    Search.searchwti.com seems to be a browser hijacker. Yup, gone!

    And the list goes on with PUPs, Malware, Adware, etc.

    I'm thinking seriously of just doing a clean install, since she's only up to 15063, has no personal files on the Lappy, and uses it mostly for entertainment. Which is why I'm considering a clean install . . .

    The computer is slower than molasses in January right now. Oh, well, no wonder! PCaccelerate tells me there are 175 issues slowing down the computer . . . And, of course, they'll take 'em off for a $100 fee, according to my friend.

    Whatcha think, guys and gals?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 31,187
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       05 Nov 2017 #2

    Wynona said: View Post
    Looks like I've gotten into something Gramma's Lye Soap won't take off.

    There are a number of "security" type apps on the Lappy that I don't recognize and have never heard anyone at TF mention.

    What would be a good site to get info on them? It's been awhile since I got hold of anything like this.

    PC Accellerate seems to be able to find problems, but then wants you to pay to get rid of 'em. So, it's outta here!

    Search.searchwti.com seems to be a browser hijacker. Yup, gone!

    And the list goes on with PUPs, Malware, Adware, etc.

    I'm thinking seriously of just doing a clean install, since she's only up to 15063, has no personal files on the Lappy, and uses it mostly for entertainment. Which is why I'm considering a clean install . . .

    The computer is slower than molasses in January right now. Oh, well, no wonder! PCaccelerate tells me there are 175 issues slowing down the computer . . . And, of course, they'll take 'em off for a $100 fee, according to my friend.

    Whatcha think, guys and gals?
    The case as you described, Wynona, with little on the lappy, a clean install to blow all that away is certainly a whole lot safer and quicker than trying to find all the pieces, if you could. My vote, clean install!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    05 Nov 2017 #3

    I'm with @f14tomcat

    Strip 'er down to bare metal!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 18,887
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17083
    Thread Starter
       05 Nov 2017 #4

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    The case as you described, Wynona, with little on the lappy, a clean install to blow all that away is certainly a whole lot safer and quicker than trying to find all the pieces, if you could. My vote, clean install!
    Thanks, TC. Thankfully, I warned her that a clean install might be in order.

    Whoops! ByteFence is telling me I have 15 risks on my computer! They only want$15.95 to activate it. Oh, yeah, I'm gonna trip all over myself until I get it activated!

    The only drawback to the clean install is that I can learn a lot about security, but I think in this case I may need to pass.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 18,887
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17083
    Thread Starter
       05 Nov 2017 #5

    Edwin said: View Post
    I'm with @f14tomcat

    Strip 'er down to bare metal!
    Thanks, Edwin. I may just do that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 5,488
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       05 Nov 2017 #6

    To satisfy your curiosity, you might want to scan with AdwCleaner before doing the clean install.

    Not to repair it, I hasten to add, just to see if it holds the world record for the most Malware collected
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    05 Nov 2017 #7

    Wynona said: View Post
    Thanks, Edwin. I may just do that.
    ... and insist on an Image Backup and Repair Disk!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 18,887
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17083
    Thread Starter
       05 Nov 2017 #8

    Bree said: View Post
    To satisfy your curiosity, you might want to scan with AdwCleaner before doing the clean install.

    Not to repair it, I hasten to add, just to see if it holds the world record for the most Malware collected


    Oh, I'm sure it doesn't, but it will give the title holder a run for his/her money!

    Next question: Any way I can keep her from clicking on every promising CrapApp out there?

    It's really a shame that these kinds of people take advantage of the less computer savvy among us.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 18,912
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       05 Nov 2017 #9

    Why not just nuke your disk(command prompt at boot and use diskpart clean all: Disk - Clean and Clean All with Diskpart Command - Windows 7 Help Forums )

    Then reimage your drive with an older(known malware free) image.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 3,086
    10.4 Home 1709 x64
       05 Nov 2017 #10

    Wynona said: View Post
    Next question: Any way I can keep her from clicking on every promising CrapApp out there?

    Next time, setup a safe DNS, preferably a family DNS (Norton/OpenDNS), it will block some of those webpages.
    Use some extensions to block tracking/malware webpages as well, apply filters like malware domains/spyware.

    You can allow only software with a valid certificate to prevent grandma from installing some of the junk.
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" /v "ValidateAdminCodeSignatures" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture_11052017_191605.jpg   capture_11052017_191538.jpg   capture_11052017_191852.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Every...i mean every anti malware blocked by unknown malware/virus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
i have looked up this issue and apparently this must be a new one since there is no solution what so ever, even the hidden admin account is defenseless, here is what's going on 1. the PC got infected on windows defenders watch, the infection...
While using really old software; like Visual Basic Pro 5.0,may not fit in the millennial mindset or the Microsoft marketing strategy; as aretired old fashion engineer and sometime software guy, Windows 10 does offersome stability and neat features I...
So lately i found this nifty lil Twitter app that comes with Windows 10 But when i click a tweet with a vine retweet or such it gives me an error saying "Unsupported Video Type Invalid File Type" Has anyone been using the twitter app lately and are...
BSOD Issues on new lappy in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
I know its seems odd me posting something for help. However it seems like I have reached a stand still in terms of fixing the issue again and again. A brief background on the issue: I bought the HP notebook in the month of November and after a...
Loaded Win but DVD drive is not recognised in Installation and Upgrade
I have downloaded Win10 onto my laptop. The DVD is: UltraNote Series: 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW) I thought that everything was fine after I had re loaded Norton which had disappeared. All other icons and programmes were intact. I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07.
Find Us