Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    2 Weeks Ago #31
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,007
    Windows10

    All these posts apart from great response by @NavyLCDR just seem to get into the perpetual is A better than B argument.

    In reality, there is little to choose between any package these days in terms of VIRUSES which are a subset of the wider category of MALWARE. The wider category of malware is primarily focussed on click bait. No package can 100% protect against users common sense.

    This is why I would install Win 10 S on some peoples pcs but I was shocked - a licence in UK is over £200!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    2 Weeks Ago #32
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 6,007
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by xXWhackerXx View Post
    simply put, NO!
    How can one answer NO or YES to this open ended question?

    YES or NO are only valid answers for closed questions e.g does pure water freeze at 0 deg C?

    The above question is open ended like "Does pure water boil at 100 deg C?".

    Here the answer needs qualifying i.e. answer is "Yes at a system pressure of 1 atmosphere".

    So simply put, your answer is meaningless without qualification. You are only stating an opinion.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    2 Weeks Ago #33
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 2,871
    Windows 10.4 Home 1709 x64

    Aside from all problems WD causes, it always scores the lowest, that never changes. The detection is nice, but if it is unable to remove it, what is the point? WD is the first thing I disable, after clean install on every computer.

    Antivirus Lab Test Results Calculator: 10,000+ Lab Tests

    Screenshot source: AV-Comparatives Removal-Test + MRG Effitas Online Banking Certification Q2 2017
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture_11042017_104722.jpg   capture_11042017_105455.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    2 Weeks Ago #34
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Houston
    Posts : 2,142
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64

    Hi,
    I used MS security essentials and mbam pro for years without issue of course I give most of the credit to mbam pro not any MS product.

    I switched to Panda free a few years ago and still use mbam pro/ premium and still have no issues.

    Best part of the switch to Panda free is I don't have to deal with windows defenders very slow scanning anymore so it's a win win for me

    So if someone thinks windows defender is good well that is also opinion
    All I'm saying is a lot of free antivirus offerings are as good if not better than windows defender and is not the most important protection to have installed.
    Malware protection seems the most important now days which mbam premium fits the bill nicely.

    I chose Panda free mostly because it is lightweight and scanning time is pretty reasonable at less than an hour for a full scan
    Windows defender would often take 2-3-4 hours and that is unacceptable.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    2 Weeks Ago #35

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
    Hi,
    I used MS security essentials and mbam pro for years without issue of course I give most of the credit to mbam pro not any MS product.

    I switched to Panda free a few years ago and still use mbam pro/ premium and still have no issues.

    Best part of the switch to Panda free is I don't have to deal with windows defenders very slow scanning anymore so it's a win win for me

    So if someone thinks windows defender is good well that is also opinion
    All I'm saying is a lot of free antivirus offerings are as good if not better than windows defender and is not the most important protection to have installed.
    Malware protection seems the most important now days which mbam premium fits the bill nicely.

    I chose Panda free mostly because it is lightweight and scanning time is pretty reasonable at less than an hour for a full scan
    Windows defender would often take 2-3-4 hours and that is unacceptable.
    Yep, I developed a keen interest in malware since Wannacry and not defending any AV as such (I even defended WD in some .. well 1 post, I think .. lol ) .. anyway it's good that a discussion around AV alternatives ensues in as much as each persons habits...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    2 Weeks Ago #36
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Houston
    Posts : 2,142
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64

    Hi,
    lol I have bad habits
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    2 Weeks Ago #37
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,467
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by TairikuOkami View Post
    Aside from all problems WD causes, it always scores the lowest, that never changes. The detection is nice, but if it is unable to remove it, what is the point? WD is the first thing I disable, after clean install on every computer.

    Antivirus Lab Test Results Calculator: 10,000+ Lab Tests

    Screenshot source: AV-Comparatives Removal-Test + MRG Effitas Online Banking Certification Q2 2017
    What is the point of quoting outdated tests....ie:- September when a completely new comprehensive version which includes exploit protection among other extras was released in the fall update.

    Quoting removal figures is pointless.....far better to have been blocked in the first place.....I note Defender anti-virus have been included as among the best using your same testing sites at blocking in the wild.

    You do appear to pick charts that suit your point of view.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails micro.jpg  
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    2 Weeks Ago #38

    What's the "User dependent" thing?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    2 Weeks Ago #39
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 2,467
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    What's the "User dependent" thing?
    I suspect it means not using an alternative AV
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    2 Weeks Ago #40

    Quote Originally Posted by dencal View Post
    I suspect it means not using an alternative AV
    From what I guess from this:
    " User-dependent cases are given half credit. For example, if a program blocks 80% by itself, and another 20% of cases are user-dependent we give half credit for the 20%, i.e. 10%, so it gets 90% altogether."

    It's user blocked stuff... so false positives included.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Prohibited from visiting an online-shop. Is Windows 10 the reason why?
Iím not sure that Iím in the right place in the forum for this question but since it concerns a soft-ware issue I will start here and if itís wrong, I hope Iíll be directed towards a more suitable spot. From one day to the other I canít enter a...
Software and Apps
Fan still running even no reason
Hello, I have All in One PC Acer Z3-710 with i5 on Win 10 (Anniversary). Unpacked a week ago so no dust inside etc. Current temperatures all in normal CPU 45-50įC GPU 40įC HDD 36įC Also HW usage in normal CPU 2-5% HDD 0-10%
Performance & Maintenance
Solved Sluggishness for some reason
Hi There Windows 10 Pro 64bit, 14393.447 Realitively clean install still (system reset done when Avast beta I tested a little 12.4.2281 crashed my user account) Really Sluggish when Running Defender scan and also using Secondife Firestorm...
Performance & Maintenance
Does Bit Defender Prohibit Windows Defender From Being Activated Too ?
Hello. Using BitDefender. Cant seem to activate Windows Defender (also). Does Bit Defender prohibit Windows Defender from being activated ? Any idea why I can't activate ? Assuming I can, somehow, do I want both ?
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Computer crashing for no reason - Windows 10
Today my computer has started crashing for no obvious reason giving me a bluescreen. No errors found in the event log and it crashed while just browsing the web. No newly installed applications just before the crash as I can recall. Message on...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:14.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums