Windows 10: Adwcleaner does can not remove PUP's Solved

  1.    04 Oct 2017 #1

    Adwcleaner does can not remove PUP's


    Finding IE 11 somewhat sluggish, I ran the Adwcleaner. It found 6 pup's, but when I clicked on clean, it stalled and I had to use the task manager to stop the process. see attached Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pup's.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	156532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pups2.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	156534AdwCleaner[S16].txtfiles.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 8,067
    10 Home x64 (1803) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       04 Oct 2017 #2

    Some malware tries to actively prevent cleaners and scanners from working. To stop these malware processes use RKill then, without restarting, run your scanner again.

    RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    04 Oct 2017 #3

    Bree said: View Post
    Some malware tries to actively prevent cleaners and scanners from working. To stop these malware processes use RKill then, without restarting, run your scanner again.

    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/
    I tried to download RKILL, but my AV treated it as a Trojan. Windows defender did not detect any malware when I ran it with Zone Alarm disconnected,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	156582
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 21,121
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 64 Pro, Win 10 64 Education Edition
       06 Oct 2017 #4

    Johannes said: View Post
    I tried to download RKILL, but my AV treated it as a Trojan. Windows defender did not detect any malware when I ran it with Zone Alarm disconnected,
    It could have been your AV that flagged it as a trojan, or it could have been the malware attempting to protect itself. Bleeping Computer has always had legitimate software without any surprise bundled software aside from what you are d/l ing.

    You have the option of choosing another file that is not listed as an .exe or named RKill, you may wish to try d/l ing one of those & see if you can run it.


      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    06 Oct 2017 #5

    Borg 386 said: View Post
    It could have been your AV that flagged it as a trojan, or it could have been the malware attempting to protect itself. Bleeping Computer has always had legitimate software without any surprise bundled software aside from what you are d/l ing.

    You have the option of choosing another file that is not listed as an .exe or named RKill, you may wish to try d/l ing one of those & see if you can run it.


    Hi Borg, thank you for the help. Being I.T. challenged, Here is what I did, after trying each link, I got the notice that the time to the link had expired. I then tried again the RKILL, but after the download I did save it first. Then I did open it and installed it. After the run see attachment, I ran the Zone Alarm AV and that one came up clean. Then I ran the ADW cleaner again and it came up with three of the PUP's, but this time ADWcleaner did get rid of them. AdwCleaner[S19].txt Rkill.txt
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 21,121
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 64 Pro, Win 10 64 Education Edition
       07 Oct 2017 #6

    Johannes said: View Post
    Hi Borg, thank you for the help. Being I.T. challenged, Here is what I did, after trying each link, I got the notice that the time to the link had expired. I then tried again the RKILL, but after the download I did save it first. Then I did open it and installed it. After the run see attachment, I ran the Zone Alarm AV and that one came up clean. Then I ran the ADW cleaner again and it came up with three of the PUP's, but this time ADWcleaner did get rid of them. AdwCleaner[S19].txt Rkill.txt
    Glad you got it sorted.

    Some viruses have programming to disallow any cleaner to run, thus protecting themselves. In that instance you have to run the program under a different name so it will be allowed by the virus. Something that isn't on the internal list to disallow. Hence the reason they are offered in different names & extensions.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Malwarebytes Acquires AdwCleaner in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
106686 Malwarebytes | AdwCleaner Version: v7.2.2.0 Hotfix 07 July 2018 196274
Solved is ADWcleaner included in Malwarebytes. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Hello. I recently noticed that Malwarebytes obtained ADWcleaner is it included now in Malwarebytes premium which I have running on my PC or do I still need to run it separately? Thanks
Solved AdwCleaner Results - Chrome in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Deleted: aol.com Deleted: ask.com"] Deleted: aol.com Deleted: ask.com AdwCleaner discovered the above in Chrome. Second time, same finding last week, previously deleted. Not having redirects, etc or other symptoms. Is this a...
Solved Adwcleaner 6.044 False positive in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I received a false positive for C:\Windows\System32\drivers\Tap0901.sys today, checked on Totalvirus and confirmed as ok. Detection ratio: 0/60 Mike
Another false positive for AdwCleaner 6.030 today in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
C:\WINDOWS\SysNative\wecutil.exe C:\WINDOWS\SysWoW64\wecutil.exe Funny thing, the first folder doesn't even exist at all. Dropped the file to virustotal. 0/56 detections.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:45.
Find Us