Windows 10: PUPs Found Solved


  1. Posts : 20,774
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18204
       18 Sep 2017 #1

    PUPs Found


    Malwarebytes just told me it needs to update, but all I could see was to scan, so I did. It found this:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PUP.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	153926

    I'm offered the option to quarantine, but I'd rather follow the link and delete the file itself.

    Can I safely do that? Any help appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    18 Sep 2017 #2

    PUP.Optional.Mindspark - Malwarebytes Labs | Malwarebytes Labs | Detections

    Above is what Malwarebytes says about optional.mindspark.generic; apparently related to browser hijacking and was likely attached to something you downloaded.

    I'd quarantine it. After the quarantine, I think you will be able to delete it if you want. I use Malwarebytes but so rarely does it find anything that I'm not highly familiar with it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 20,774
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18204
    Thread Starter
       18 Sep 2017 #3

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    PUP.Optional.Mindspark - Malwarebytes Labs | Malwarebytes Labs | Detections

    Above is what Malwarebytes says about optional.mindspark.generic; apparently related to browser hijacking and was likely attached to something you downloaded.

    I'd quarantine it. After the quarantine, I think you will be able to delete it if you want. I use Malwarebytes but so rarely does it find anything that I'm not highly familiar with it.
    Thank you. I just let MBAM quarantine them. Now to go in and see if I can delete what's quarantined. I seem to remember you can do that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    18 Sep 2017 #4

    Wynona said: View Post
    Now to go in and see if I can delete what's quarantined. I seem to remember you can do that.
    Yeah, that's my recollection also.

    I guess the premise of quarantine is you can let something sit in quarantine for days or weeks and if you can still operate as expected, go ahead and delete. But for a PUP with a tie to browser highjacking, I don't suppose there would be any doubt that you don't need it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 20,774
    Windows 10 Skip Ahead Preview Build 18204
    Thread Starter
       18 Sep 2017 #5

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    Yeah, that's my recollection also.

    I guess the premise of quarantine is you can let something sit in quarantine for days or weeks and if you can still operate as expected, go ahead and delete. But for a PUP with a tie to browser highjacking, I don't suppose there would be any doubt that you don't need it.
    They're gone! First quarantined, then deleted. Pretty simple to do.

    And now to mark this thread solved.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 13,221
    Win 10 Pro-MX Linux 17.1 PClinuxOS Mate
       18 Sep 2017 #6

    On a side not CCleaner was hacked, I guess only the 32 Bit version

    http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story...ion_users.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Adware and PUPs are getting nastier in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I've seen this at BleepingComputer and thought it may be interesting for wider audience ... Potentially unwanted programs or applications are considered adware by some folks and "just something that you have to pick up, if you want another...
Custom build for a friend. OS: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit MB: MSI Z170-A Pro Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 680 CPU: Intel i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz RAM: 8g Installed OS through bootable USB, as the build has no CD drive. On completion of build I had...
OS Not found in General Support
On my last startup, I got an error screen That says "No OS found" , which of course allows no access to anything. (I am on a borrowed Chromebook for this post) Error 'oxc000000e', reports errors or missing file, sys32/winload.exe. I have a Macrium...
Solved Got pups? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
My Norton 360 just caught something last night called .fixmypc. Its no longer on my system as my Norton fixed it but I was reading about it and heard its can be tricky to get rid of.
Hi, tenforum people. I am thinking it would be useful to make a list of those Apps that install Adware/Malware and the such and tend to hijack your browser too even if you select Custom Installation and opt out of those "fantastic" offers. This...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:02.
Find Us