OrganiZen quasi-virus still blocks 2nd monitor


  1. Posts : 8
    windows 10
       #1

    OrganiZen quasi-virus still blocks 2nd monitor


    On my Desktop I had the 'lock to grid' option off, but now switched it to on. Instead, it got busy with a mysterious program "organiZen". Which swept all my icons away. I found them in a folder off screen, far away. I managed to put them back, one by one. Then I deleted the program.
    I thought that was the end.
    But not fully, apparently. There was one crazy problem left:

    I can no longer use two screens! The 'extend screens' option is crippled: I can use my laptop screen only -- or switch to the external monitor only. But cannot get both! One is always left blank!

    So then tried this via the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel. Same result: it detects both monitors but you always end up with one screen blank.
    Also, a Rclick on Graphics Properties shows a folder 'Organizen' on its list despite my deleting it earlier! And I cannot even delete this entry!

    I have run out of ideas! Do you have any, please?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 8
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #2

    Remarkable: I tried for a day or so to fix this problem. Then right after posting my message here, I fiddled around again. And somehow, the second monitor came back!
    And I don't even know why!
    However, that stray menu item of OrganiZen is still lurking. It seems to be 'only' an ad to properly install it. But it makes me uneasy. So it would be good to delete it!
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #3

    Hi.
    Glad your monitor situation is resolved. See? You only have to post here and everything is great.

    All kidding aside, you might want to try running ADWCleaner to see if that doesn't help ferret the junk out.
    Downloads - AdwCleaner - ToolsLib

    .
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Simrick: Thank you for your response. Well I'm a member of CSI (Skeptics organization) so I must reject your cunning theory about cause and effect! But I went ahead with your ADWCleaner program. Unfortunately, it downloaded ok, though I was surprised it was only 3.9Mb. But then I could not get it to execute! Maybe I need ADWCleanerFixerUpper.exe....
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #5

    koalady said:
    Simrick: Thank you for your response. Well I'm a member of CSI (Skeptics organization) so I must reject your cunning theory about cause and effect! But I went ahead with your ADWCleaner program. Unfortunately, it downloaded ok, though I was surprised it was only 3.9Mb. But then I could not get it to execute! Maybe I need ADWCleanerFixerUpper.exe....


    Yes, it's a small, but powerful program. It won't run? I've only seen this happen on badly infected systems.

    Do you have Malwarebytes Antimalware on the system? Can you run that?
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download
    Download version 2.2. Select the free version, update the definitions, select Custom Scan, Configure Scan, be sure the box for rootkits is checked, and then scan your entire C drive.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 8
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    To Simrick: Thank you again. I followed your instruction about malwarebytes. I had run this yesterday before writing to this site. It had found about 600 hits. Which were all the product of the OrganiZen intrusion. I deleted them.
    Now I ran malwarebytes again. With a tiny update of the program. And with your advice to include the rootkits check.
    Well, the result was zero hits. Good news, bad news. But not very bad. I will live with it ok. And Nothing Can Go Wrong...
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #7

    koalady said:
    To Simrick: Thank you again. I followed your instruction about malwarebytes. I had run this yesterday before writing to this site. It had found about 600 hits. Which were all the product of the OrganiZen intrusion. I deleted them.
    Now I ran malwarebytes again. With a tiny update of the program. And with your advice to include the rootkits check.
    Well, the result was zero hits. Good news, bad news. But not very bad. I will live with it ok. And Nothing Can Go Wrong...
    Good on the MBAM "nothing found".

    Run JRT
    Junkware Removal Tool Download

    Open an admin comand prompt, or admin powershell and enter
    Code:
    sfc /scannow
    We're looking for "no integrity violations found".

    Then run an ESET Online Scan.
    Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET ESET
    Select Scan Now.

    If ESET comes back clean and the sfc-scannow is good, then perhaps an in-place repair will fix things.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 8
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    OrganiZen quasi-virus still blocks 2nd monitor


    Simrick: Thank you again. I followed your suggestions.
    -The JRT program ran for over an hour, but found just one clearly unrelated naughty file.
    The ESET program then took 2h30m and did not find any integrity violations.

    So I guess that's all that can be done. The lingering result is just cosmetic -- so far.

    Thank you yet again.
    -koalady
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #9

    koalady said:
    Simrick: Thank you again. I followed your suggestions.
    -The JRT program ran for over an hour, but found just one clearly unrelated naughty file.
    The ESET program then took 2h30m and did not find any integrity violations.

    So I guess that's all that can be done. The lingering result is just cosmetic -- so far.

    Thank you yet again.
    -koalady
    Welcome.
    If need be, we can perform an in-place repair. Just let us know. Otherwise, go ahead and mark the thread as solved. If you find we need to work on this more, you can always mark it as unsolved, and we can continue on. Cheers!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:43.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums