Hacking tools were stolen from NSA - Almost all Windows affected

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #11

    HippsieGypsie said:
    Wow, @simrick. You've been busy. Impressive list you made!

    So what do we do about all this?
    I didn't make the list - it's copied from BleepingComputer's article on it.

    Apparently, they've been released specifically for this weekend, when people will be home for the Easter Holiday, using their computers alot, and business computers will be left unattended (easy prey on both parts). So they expect high hacking activity over this weekend.

    I've also read that some of these are not even detectable using VirusTotal.com scanning tool. This is serious stuff: nation-state-grade hacking tools out in the wild, many of them 0-day exploits. I've warned my friends to get their images done before turning in for the night, and stay off the NET over the weekend as much as possible. Until we know more, what else can we do? I am concerned about disruptions to municipalities (water/electricity, etc.); I mean, look what just happened in Dallas the other day - someone hacked into the tornado siren system and set all 156 sirens off.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,833
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #12

    simrick said:
    I didn't make the list - it's copied from BleepingComputer's article on it.

    Apparently, they've been released specifically for this weekend, when people will be home for the Easter Holiday, using their computers alot, and business computers will be left unattended (easy prey on both parts). So they expect high hacking activity over this weekend.

    I've also read that some of these are not even detectable using VirusTotal.com scanning tool. This is serious stuff: nation-state-grade hacking tools out in the wild, many of them 0-day exploits. I've warned my friends to get their images done before turning in for the night, and stay off the NET over the weekend as much as possible. Until we know more, what else can we do? I am concerned about disruptions to municipalities (water/electricity, etc.); I mean, look what just happened in Dallas the other day - someone hacked into the tornado siren system and set all 156 sirens off.
    Thanks for your good work here, simrick. This is terrible.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 7,086
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #13

    HippsieGypsie said:
    It's beyond crazy. It's absolutely ludicrous. Wonder if MS is doing anything about this.
    I don't expect any action from MS any time soon. They can't even update Windows without creating major problems.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 272
    win10
       #14

    Should I shift to Linux? Recently I have concerns of data on my PC being stolen by a business competitor whom I know he is personally a software programmer/engineer as well.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 632
    Win 10 Pro x64 1607 (Build 14393.953)
       #15

    Very disturbing news indeed!

    Cheers
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 26,940
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
    Thread Starter
       #16

    HippsieGypsie said:
    Wow, @simrick. You've been busy. Impressive list you made!

    So what do we do about all this?
    Stay extra careful who you trust and what to click. And be prepare to change you online passwords. No need to do it now, ...
    Last edited by AndreTen; 15 Apr 2017 at 04:17.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 26,940
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Steve C said:
    I don't expect any action from MS any time soon. They can't even update Windows without creating major problems.
    MS responded to Softpedia article (or somewhere) and I think they'll provide some fixes. Hope it'll be quick enough...
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 7,257
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #18

    I like ENGLISHMANSDENTIST lol
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 26,940
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
    Thread Starter
       #19

    WinBeta reported that MS responded and some security fixes are available...

    Hacking tools were stolen from NSA - Almost all Windows affected-image.png

    Update: here is direct link to MS blog article with the list of security fixes..
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #20

    Based on the comprehensive leaked list posted over at BleepingComputer, it appears that MS have only addressed the ones they have an acceptable answer for; many still remain unanswered, and therefore active vulnerabilities:

    EASYBEE appears to be an MDaemon email server vulnerability [source, source, source]

    EASYPI is an IBM Lotus Notes exploit [source, source] that gets detected as Stuxnet [source]

    EWOKFRENZY is an exploit for IBM Lotus Domino 6.5.4 to 7.0.2 [source, source]

    EXPLODINGCAN is an IIS 6.0 exploit that creates a remote backdoor [source, source]

    EMPHASISMINE is a remote IMAP exploit for IBM Lotus Domino [source, source]

    ENGLISHMANSDENTIST sets Outlook Exchange WebAccess rules to trigger executable code on the client's side to send an email to other users [source, source]

    ERRATICGOPHER is a SMBv1 exploit targeting Windows XP and Server 2003 [source, source]
    Addressed prior to the release of Windows Vista

    ETRE is an exploit for IMail 8.10 to 8.22 [source]

    FUZZBUNCH is an exploit framework, similar to MetaSploit [source, source], which was also part of the December-January "Windows Tools" Shadow Brokers auction [source]

    DOUBLEPULSAR is a RING-0 multi-version kernel mode payload [source]
    EquationGroup had scripts that could scrape Oracle databases for SWIFT data [source, source]

    ODDJOB is an implant builder and C&C server that can deliver exploits for Windows 2000 and later [source, source], also not detected by any AV vendors [source]
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums