Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1.    13 May 2017 #91
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 8,881
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Next will be critical infrastructures, like nuclear plants. Just wait.
    We have a saying: don't call a devil. Nevertheless, critical infrastructure is different animal. Critical processes themselves are separated from other networks, or not connected at all. They all learned a lot from Stux stuff destroying plants in Iran.

    Other infrastructure is vulnerable, thou. Everything is getting automated and remotely controlled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    13 May 2017 #92
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,811
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreTen View Post
    We have a saying: don't call a devil. Nevertheless, critical infrastructure is different animal. Critical processes themselves are separated from other networks, or not connected at all. They all learned a lot from Stux stuff destroying plants in Iran.

    Other infrastructure is vulnerable, thou. Everything is getting automated and remotely controlled.
    True, but all it takes is an infected flash drive....
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    13 May 2017 #93
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 8,881
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    True, but all it takes is an infected flash drive....
    No flash drives in there
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 May 2017 #94
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 905
    Win 10 Home

    Further info to the NHS disruptions:

    CHESHIRE and Wirral Partnership NHS Trust has confirmed that it is ‘experiencing significant IT disruptions’ as it fights against a nationwide cyber-attack on the NHS.

    It is believed that as many as 45 NHS organisations in the UK are under a ‘cyber-attack’ and Cheshire and Wirral Partnership has confirmed that it is one of the organisations experiencing ‘IT disruption’.
    A statement from Cheshire and Wirral Partnership said: "CWP are currently experiencing significant IT disruptions as reported nationally.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 May 2017 #95
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 905
    Win 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    If it holds your computer hostage, it's a form of ransomware - whether it encrypts or not.
    The answer is to disconnect from the internet, use Task Manager to kill the browser process, and run Ccleaner on the browsers, clearing out everything.
    simrick, I got a bogus email telling me iobit.com had shut down my account due to malpractise or something - I didnt touch it but copied it to iobit. They said it was ransomware and to 'spam' it which I did first! $300 was the 'fee' - like hell!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 May 2017 #96
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,811
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by elbmek View Post
    simrick, I got a bogus email telling me iobit.com had shut down my account due to malpractise or something - I didnt touch it but copied it to iobit. They said it was ransomware and to 'spam' it which I did first! $300 was the 'fee' - like hell!
    You are smart to be wary of these emails - so may people are not!
    The only sure way to recover from a ransomware attack is with backups - and so many people do not make them on a regular basis, or even at all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 May 2017 #97
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 44
    10 Pro

    For an average Windows 7 system with an unknown patch level, I assume just running the May 2017 rollup (KB4019264) should be sufficient to get it up to date to be safe to follow up with a Windows Update check?

    Trying to remote help someone over here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 May 2017 #98
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    In a house with a crazy cat trying to kill me
    Posts : 16,917
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 64 Pro, Win 10 64 Education Edition

    I get the occasional E Mail with either a voice message or a Fed Ex package on the way, & that I need to click on the link for them to ship it. Checking out the sites which the E Mails send me to (Not going there, just jotting down the website & Googling it) brings up warnings saying this site may be/is compromised. One of them turned out to be a schools web page. A couple went to sites that were advertising services, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had hidden macro codes for a fly by infection.

    That "package in transition we need more info" scam has been going on for some time now, so if you get something that looks like it's from a shipping company, if you didn't order anything, don't click. Even if you did, check the link to see where it really leads to. Most of those company's give you a tracking # & you can look it up anytime on their site.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 May 2017 #99
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,565
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by elbmek View Post
    simrick, I got a bogus email telling me iobit.com had shut down my account due to malpractise or something - I didnt touch it but copied it to iobit. They said it was ransomware and to 'spam' it which I did first! $300 was the 'fee' - like hell!
    Curiosity question, Elbmek . . . Do you use your computer for any type business?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 May 2017 #100
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,565
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by Borg 386 View Post
    I get the occasional E Mail with either a voice message or a Fed Ex package on the way, & that I need to click on the link for them to ship it. Checking out the sites which the E Mails send me to (Not going there, just jotting down the website & Googling it) brings up warnings saying this site may be/is compromised. One of them turned out to be a schools web page. A couple went to sites that were advertising services, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had hidden macro codes for a fly by infection.

    That "package in transition we need more info" scam has been going on for some time now, so if you get something that looks like it's from a shipping company, if you didn't order anything, don't click. Even if you did, check the link to see where it really leads to. Most of those company's give you a tracking # & you can look it up anytime on their site.
    I've been getting those FedEx scam emails for some time. I never, never, never click on them, since I know what I'm expecting (or not expecting) at any given email . . . I also look at the return email addy, and it's always some gobbledegook no one could remotely expect to be from FedEx!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Remote hacking
I believe I am being remotely monitored. My task manager spikes whenever this person uses their computer and I have very odd programs running. I have a dell windows 10 upgraded from 7. Can someone lead me thru steps on how to find it and eliminate...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
will dual boot windows 10 1511 and ubuntu 16.04 be affected.
Will dual boot windows 10 1511 and ubuntu 16.04 be affected by anniversary update. Henry
Installation and Upgrade
Laptop was stolen, how do I remove acces to my Microsoft account?
As the title says, my old laptop was stolen how do I remove access to my Microsoft account form it?
General Support
Stolen asus laptop s/n f6n0cv02692323a
Hi guys, new to this forum and requesting any possible help. My laptop has been stolen and I didn't have any tracking program installed. Is there any way it can be located again? It also has a password on the startup lockscreen but I am not sure if...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Would Windows 10 Phone affected by the same virus with Win 10 PC?
So I just had a thought: if Windows 10 for Phone can run continuum and be a PC, then a virus or any malicious software can infect a phone just like it would in a laptop/desktop? Another thought: what if the virus can manipulate OneDrive sync and...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:30.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums