Creators Update - back up encryption key message?


  1. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #1

    Creators Update - back up encryption key message?


    I upgraded to the Creators Update yesterday, using the Windows 10 Update Assistant tool. After booting, I got a message recommending that I back up my "file encryption certificate and key". However, I have never used encryption and it is apparently still disabled (from the Bitlocker section in Control Panel). Just in case, I ran Malwarebytes with ransomware detection enabled and found nothing.
    Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? Many thanks :)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 61,833
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #2

    Hello TheGreatCabbage, and welcome to Ten Forums. :)

    Did you use EFS to encrypt a file or folder?

    If you did, that would trigger the message to back up your EFS certificate and key.

    Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

    Find All Encrypted Files in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Brink said:
    Hello TheGreatCabbage, and welcome to Ten Forums. :)

    Did you use EFS to encrypt a file or folder?

    If you did, that would trigger the message to back up your EFS certificate and key.

    Encrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

    Find All Encrypted Files in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials
    Thanks for your reply. I've never encrypted anything on purpose, but running "cipher /u /n /h" shows that Windows 10 must have decided to encrypt some of the files relating to its built-in apps under "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages". Additionally, encrypted files lie on my HDD under "D:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-396074659-1995853030-240374171-1001", which seems to contain Windows 10 apps.
    This is curious...
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 61,833
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #4

    If you like, you could decrypt all of the encrypted files.

    Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

    However, it would be a good idea to back up your EFS certificate and key just to be safe to prevent losing access to any missed encrypted files in the future.

    Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Brink said:
    If you like, you could decrypt all of the encrypted files.

    Decrypt Files and Folders with EFS in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

    However, it would be a good idea to back up your EFS certificate and key just to be safe to prevent losing access to any missed encrypted files in the future.

    Backup Encrypting File System Certificate and Key in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials
    It doesn't seem to be much of an issue, because I don't really use Windows 10 apps anyway, haha. Thanks for the help :)
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 61,833
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #6

    You're most welcome. :)
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 17
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    TheGreatCabbage said:
    I upgraded to the Creators Update yesterday, using the Windows 10 Update Assistant tool. After booting, I got a message recommending that I back up my "file encryption certificate and key". However, I have never used encryption and it is apparently still disabled (from the Bitlocker section in Control Panel). Just in case, I ran Malwarebytes with ransomware detection enabled and found nothing.
    Does anyone have any idea what's causing this? Many thanks :)
    I'm currently having a similar issue. Were you be able to fix it?

    Here's my thread. Windows 10 Asking Me To Back Up My File Encryption Key But... - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums