Windows 10: Important Problem: How To Prevent App From Calling Home?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,151
    10.5 Home 1803 x64
       16 Jun 2017 #61

    NiceAndShy said: View Post
    Instead of using OpenOffice for this, is there another app people can recommend that will ensure the security of my personal notes?
    I just want something that's ironclad.
    Comodo Free Firewall seems to be the best choice for you. Aside from an included sandbox, it contains HIPS, which prevents apps from leaking/bypassing firewall by injecting to allowed processes.

    Comodo Internet Security Setup/configuration thread (Setting Only) | MalwareTips.com

    This page is a little outdated, because most people do not care, but the results are still valid.

    Results and comments - www.matousec.com

    You could also run a virtual machine without network and run OpenOffice from there.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    16 Jun 2017 #62

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    Comodo Free Firewall seems to be the best choice for you. Aside from an included sandbox, it contains HIPS, which prevents apps from leaking/bypassing firewall by injecting to allowed processes.

    Comodo Internet Security Setup/configuration thread (Setting Only) | MalwareTips.com

    This page is a little outdated, because most people do not care, but the results are still valid.

    Results and comments - www.matousec.com

    You could also run a virtual machine without network and run OpenOffice from there.
    Your idea of "sandboxing" sounds really great!

    Is it possible to "sandbox" an app using Windows 10 Pro without installing a 3rd party app?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 3,151
    10.5 Home 1803 x64
       16 Jun 2017 #63

    Unfortunately not, Windows uses sandboxing, but only for some system processes.

    You need a third party app like Sandboxie or a virtual machine like Oracle VM VirtualBox.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 Jun 2017 #64

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    Unfortunately not, Windows uses sandboxing, but only for some system processes.

    You need a third party app like Sandboxie or a virtual machine like Oracle VM VirtualBox.
    Thank you!

    I'm looking at the two links you posted now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Jun 2017 #65

    I really hope I'm not being a nuisance but this is a really serious issue for me.

    I was just talking to Cereberus and he told me that it'd be impossible for Microsoft to store the data of 500 million users, but this doesn't help put me at ease because Microsoft's cloud storage capacity must be insanely high and Microsoft is constantly adding more storage for their cloud services...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 3,151
    10.5 Home 1803 x64
       17 Jun 2017 #66

    Microsoft is using algorithms to actively scan their cloud storage for illegal content, several users haven been arrested for it, so no data posted online is really private, unless it is encrypted.

    NiceAndShy said: View Post
    I really hope I'm not being a nuisance but this is a really serious issue for me.
    That is understandable, there are countries, in which you can be arrested or even killed for an "inappropriate" content. Bad posts in China can lower user's government score.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    21 Jun 2017 #67

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    Microsoft is using algorithms to actively scan their cloud storage for illegal content, several users haven been arrested for it, so no data posted online is really private, unless it is encrypted.
    Wow, really?

    I don't have anything illegal on my PC, but that's very scary.

    EDIT:

    I forgot to ask: How does encrypting the data make it private?

    If the data is encrypted and is stored in a cloud service like Microsoft's OneDrive, does that mean the data cannot be read by even Microsoft???
    Last edited by NiceAndShy; 21 Jun 2017 at 09:05.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    21 Jun 2017 #68

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    Unfortunately not, Windows uses sandboxing, but only for some system processes.

    You need a third party app like Sandboxie or a virtual machine like Oracle VM VirtualBox.
    Your ideas are great!

    Wouldn't my personal notes I don't want other humans to read be safer with a much bigger company like Microsoft and use their Virtual PC?

    Link: Download Windows Virtual PC from Official Microsoft Download Center
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 3,151
    10.5 Home 1803 x64
       21 Jun 2017 #69

    Latest supported OS for Virtual PC is Windows 7. MS gave up on it, because 3rd party alternatives are better.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    21 Jun 2017 #70

    Is the company that owns OpenOffice considered a safe company in terms of protecting user's privacy?

    Is it possible for me to check if OpenOffice has the ability to upload user created data to the Internet like the notes I've created?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

    Related Threads
    Apps having trouble calling home in Software and Apps
    Hi there I am in a bit of a pickle, I use Windows 10 for graphic 3D and a lot of the software these days require the call home type arrangement. I went to upgrade a product from their download manager and received this 0x80090330 the sChannel issue....
    Hi All: Great community of Windows users here. Hoping to tap it for help on a new 8" Windows 10 tablet I've sent to my Dad - who isn't very computer literate. My fear is that when he fires up the new tablet - the OneDrive will establish a...
    Solved I got a problem with my home group in Network and Sharing
    Hi all, I got a problem with my home group. Some background: 4 laptops and 1 desktop All running windows 10 After getting “no other computer are available” or something like that, even though all are up and running, I went to each computer...
    i got eject problem everytime i plug any usb drive when i open the process using a program called "procexp" or process explorer that i downloaded , i found some process preventing the safely remove hardware Screenshot below : 73756 the process...
    Home Network Problem in Network and Sharing
    Have three computers on my network,two windows 10 and one windows7. Problem is with Remote Desktop Connection,works perfect with the windows7 computer. Can't get it to connect with the other windows10 computer,wants a user and password. There is no...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36.
    Find Us