Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1.    10 Jun 2017 #51
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 392
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Is it possible for me to check if OpenOffice has uploaded any information to the Internet?

    Thank you!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    10 Jun 2017 #52
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Melbourne
    Posts : 225
    Win 10 Pro X64

    Have a look at this thread on the MDL site and see if it can help to quickly block what you want

    Windows Firewall with Advanced Security | My Digital Life Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    10 Jun 2017 #53
    Join Date : Oct 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts : 439
    Win10 Home x64 - 1709

    Without me buying another app, is it possible for me to double check that OpenOffice is unable to contact the Internet?
    Start Menu / Administrative Tools / Resource Monitor - Click on the Network Tab, look for one of the .exe (soffice.exe , swriter.exe, etc)

    Is it possible for me to check if OpenOffice has uploaded any information to the Internet?
    Short Answer is No. To my knowledge the only thing Open Office might upload is a crash report (if it has crashed) and it ask you if it can do that.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    11 Jun 2017 #54
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 392
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle51 View Post
    Short Answer is No. To my knowledge the only thing Open Office might upload is a crash report (if it has crashed) and it ask you if it can do that.
    Thanks!

    Is it really true that open source projects are more secure because more eyes have seen the code so it's less likely for there to be a "back door" to the Internet like what I'm describing?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    12 Jun 2017 #55
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 161
    OS

    Quote Originally Posted by NiceAndShy View Post
    Thanks!

    Is it really true that open source projects are more secure because more eyes have seen the code so it's less likely for there to be a "back door" to the Internet like what I'm describing?
    Yes, it is really true.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    12 Jun 2017 #56
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 2,863
    Windows 10.4 Home 1709 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by NiceAndShy View Post
    Is it really true that open source projects are more secure because more eyes have seen the code so it's less likely for there to be a "back door" to the Internet like what I'm describing?
    Theoretically yes, practically no. OpenSSL is free SSL used for banking and etc and there has been a simple bug for years. It was discoverable within minutes, but no one has found it, because everyone was saying, it is open source, if there is a bug, someone will find it, anyone but me and SSL is only a few KBs big, OO has several hundreds MBs of code. You should not trust open source blindly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    12 Jun 2017 #57
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 161
    OS

    Quote Originally Posted by TairikuOkami View Post
    Theoretically yes, practically no. OpenSSL is free SSL used for banking and etc and there has been a simple bug for years....
    As you say yourself it was a *bug* not a backdoor, and the OP was asking about the fact that it's less likely that there
    is a back door in a open source program;
    so i think the OP is right and that it is more simple to hide a back door in a executable no one can inspect the code of
    or it's less likely to find an open source back door.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 Jun 2017 #58
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 392
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by TairikuOkami View Post
    Theoretically yes, practically no. OpenSSL is free SSL used for banking and etc and there has been a simple bug for years. It was discoverable within minutes, but no one has found it, because everyone was saying, it is open source, if there is a bug, someone will find it, anyone but me and SSL is only a few KBs big, OO has several hundreds MBs of code. You should not trust open source blindly.
    Thanks for your input! This is definitely interesting.

    I'm still trying to find a way to lock down the OpenOffice app so I can know for sure that it's unable to contact the internet.

    Should I look into using a different app?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    15 Jun 2017 #59
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 392
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Instead of using OpenOffice for this, is there another app people can recommend that will ensure the security of my personal notes?

    I just want something that's ironclad.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    16 Jun 2017 #60
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,907
    Windows10

    What a load of garbage - technical solutions to a problem that does not exist!

    OP should read up about telemetry, and just turn off options in privacy where OS asks to learn your typing habits.

    Also follow @Kari's suggestion earlier.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Apps having trouble calling home
Hi there I am in a bit of a pickle, I use Windows 10 for graphic 3D and a lot of the software these days require the call home type arrangement. I went to upgrade a product from their download manager and received this 0x80090330 the sChannel issue....
Software and Apps
How prevent a OneDrive problem on setup?
Hi All: Great community of Windows users here. Hoping to tap it for help on a new 8" Windows 10 tablet I've sent to my Dad - who isn't very computer literate. My fear is that when he fires up the new tablet - the OneDrive will establish a...
General Support
Solved I got a problem with my home group
Hi all, I got a problem with my home group. Some background: 4 laptops and 1 desktop All running windows 10 After getting “no other computer are available” or something like that, even though all are up and running, I went to each computer...
Network and Sharing
this thing prevent me eject harddisk, how to solve the problem?
i got eject problem everytime i plug any usb drive when i open the process using a program called "procexp" or process explorer that i downloaded , i found some process preventing the safely remove hardware Screenshot below : 73756 the process...
Drivers and Hardware
Home Network Problem
Have three computers on my network,two windows 10 and one windows7. Problem is with Remote Desktop Connection,works perfect with the windows7 computer. Can't get it to connect with the other windows10 computer,wants a user and password. There is no...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums