Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.    01 Jun 2017 #31
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 392
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks for mentioning the risk of apps not being able to receive security updates if they're blocked from accessing the internet.

    I think I'd rather prevent an app from contacting the Internet and rely on Windows 10's security to keep my PC secure rather than updating an app's potential security holes.

    I just don't want an app to be contacting the Internet and uploading data I'm writing in my personal journal.

    What do others think about this?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    01 Jun 2017 #32
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,960
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NiceAndShy View Post
    I just don't want an app to be contacting the Internet and uploading data I'm writing in my personal journal.

    What do others think about this?
    Honestly? I think you should talk with someone to get help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Jun 2017 #33
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 2,091
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)

    I use Kaspersky Total Security (KTS) which is provided free by my bank. KTS incudes Safe Money which provides a 'protected browser' - see https://help.kaspersky.com/KFPWin/6.0/en-EN/99417.htm

    This may provide some of the functionality you desire. However, Kaspersky is a Russian owned company. I have some concerns about this but the advice from the forum is that Kaspersky is OK. Do you prefer being spied on by the CIA or FSB?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    05 Jun 2017 #34
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 392
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Honestly? I think you should talk with someone to get help.
    I honestly think this is a serious issue with so many apps now having "cloud connectivity" it seems more important than ever to be concerned with user privacy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    05 Jun 2017 #35
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 392
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    I use Kaspersky Total Security (KTS) which is provided free by my bank. KTS incudes Safe Money which provides a 'protected browser' - see https://help.kaspersky.com/KFPWin/6.0/en-EN/99417.htm

    This may provide some of the functionality you desire. However, Kaspersky is a Russian owned company. I have some concerns about this but the advice from the forum is that Kaspersky is OK. Do you prefer being spied on by the CIA or FSB?
    Thank you for your reply!

    Instead of using a 3rd party app, is it possible for me to use the inbuilt Windows 10 Pro firewall to prevent OpenOffice from contacting the Internet?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    06 Jun 2017 #36
    Join Date : Oct 2016
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts : 439
    Win10 Home x64 - 1709
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    06 Jun 2017 #37
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 2,091
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)

    I suggest the following:

    1. Disconnect your PC from the internet whenever you write/edit your personal memos.
    2. Store the memos on a removeable drive and only open your memos when your PC is disconnected from the internet
    3. Consider password protecting your file (you can do this in Word) or better still encrypt the drive/folder where your personal files are stored using something like Bitlocker provided with Windows.


    You can otherwise leave your word processing app connected to the net to keep it updated.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    06 Jun 2017 #38
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 161
    OS

    Quote Originally Posted by NiceAndShy View Post
    Thank you for your reply!

    Instead of using a 3rd party app, is it possible for me to use the inbuilt Windows 10 Pro firewall to prevent OpenOffice from contacting the Internet?
    NiceAndShy there is a simple option in Libre/Openoffice to turn off and it will not check for updates.
    There is no "Openoffice calling Home feature" you use windows 10 and you worry about OpenOffice,
    maybe you should reconsider your concern priorities

    best regards
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    06 Jun 2017 #39
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 392
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by roy111 View Post
    NiceAndShy there is a simple option in Libre/Openoffice to turn off and it will not check for updates.
    There is no "Openoffice calling Home feature" you use windows 10 and you worry about OpenOffice,
    maybe you should reconsider your concern priorities

    best regards
    Thanks, but I know I can disable the "update checker" in OpenOffice. Instead, I want to block all out-going communication from OpenOffice.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    06 Jun 2017 #40
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 10,990
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    A good firewall can do that. Perhaps that's been mentioned above.

    If you know the ip address you want to block you could use the Hosts file.
    How to Block an IP Address on a Computer | Chron.com
    or use
    Bluelife Hostseditor (free, easy).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Apps having trouble calling home
Hi there I am in a bit of a pickle, I use Windows 10 for graphic 3D and a lot of the software these days require the call home type arrangement. I went to upgrade a product from their download manager and received this 0x80090330 the sChannel issue....
Software and Apps
How prevent a OneDrive problem on setup?
Hi All: Great community of Windows users here. Hoping to tap it for help on a new 8" Windows 10 tablet I've sent to my Dad - who isn't very computer literate. My fear is that when he fires up the new tablet - the OneDrive will establish a...
General Support
Solved I got a problem with my home group
Hi all, I got a problem with my home group. Some background: 4 laptops and 1 desktop All running windows 10 After getting “no other computer are available” or something like that, even though all are up and running, I went to each computer...
Network and Sharing
this thing prevent me eject harddisk, how to solve the problem?
i got eject problem everytime i plug any usb drive when i open the process using a program called "procexp" or process explorer that i downloaded , i found some process preventing the safely remove hardware Screenshot below : 73756 the process...
Drivers and Hardware
Home Network Problem
Have three computers on my network,two windows 10 and one windows7. Problem is with Remote Desktop Connection,works perfect with the windows7 computer. Can't get it to connect with the other windows10 computer,wants a user and password. There is no...
Network and Sharing
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums