Windows 10: Should I get Antivirus?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 1,714
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       25 Dec 2016 #21

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    In that case, you do not even need AV, you are a safe surfer. Then again better be safe than sorry. It is all about a risk management, I have nothing to loose, I have not used AV nor a firewall for years, it improves performance.
    What an extraordinary statement.....for someone who regularly gives an opinion on different AV efficacity.... REF your post #16 for example.....perhaps its not been your opinions you have been posting, but the result of what others think.

    To advise that one does not need to have at least Defender and a Firewall is rash in the extreme, why do you think M$ regularly issue security updates, even they need to keep on their toes trying to beat the hackers.

    I can only assume you have partaken a little too much of the amber liquid during this festive period.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    25 Dec 2016 #22

    Where can I get some of this "amber liquid" of which you speak? Sounds like just the thing, on this holiday!
    Best wishes to you and yours on this joyous occasion.
    --Ed--
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. dencal's Avatar
    Posts : 1,714
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       25 Dec 2016 #23

    EdTittel said: View Post
    Where can I get some of this "amber liquid" of which you speak? Sounds like just the thing, on this holiday!
    Best wishes to you and yours on this joyous occasion.
    --Ed--
    Pretty well all "spirits" come under that heading Ed.....particularly whisky and brandy.....cheers!
    I too wish you and yours Best wishes and a happy New Year.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    26 Dec 2016 #24

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    Which ones? In tests 360 has about 10% better detection than WD, WD is usually always the last in the world.

    It performs great against ransomware even without Avira and Bitdefender, though Bitdefender helps.

    Qihoo Total Security- An initial test - YouTube
    There is a virus on usb sticks that creates a folder with no name (blank spaces) and moves all root contents there. Then it creates an .LNK file on root that points inside that "noname" folder showing its contents but it installs a trojan when executed. There is also another file inside the "noname" folder with a funny naming scheme that is also a virus.

    After removing the infection you have to manually relocate all your files to the root folder.

    This virus isn't detected by Qihoo 360 TSE. I have tested it a lot of times.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    26 Dec 2016 #25

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    I've been using Norton for years, along with Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware All are the paid versions. I've never had a problem yet with any virus infecting my machines. I also don't use Torrent sites ....EVER!!! Take Care and hope you are having a Great Christmas too.

    Hi there

    @OldMike65

    It's OK for some people in USA to say "Never used Torrent sites" -- but if you are stuck in the middle of winter with only some hideous Russian TV program with Finnish subtitles or church services to watch I think you might have a different perception of the reason why some people access some of "those sites".

    I'm happy to PAY for content - but just too often it's NOT available and where I am never likely to be anyway -- maybe Hollywood etc should look at a business model whereby people can INDIVIDUALLY pay for content rather than going all out for the incredibily ineffective "Blocking sites" -- which never works, gives Govt a bad name and just makes the whole issue even worse.

    Even currently in the UK where I believe they block around 1,000 (or more) sites !!! -- even more than CHINA !!!!!!! it took me exactly 11 secs to show a friend using Virgin Media how to access the site flying "The Jolly Rodger".

    My post wasn't actually to comment on the rights / wrongs of accessing these sorts of sites -- merely to say that if you do then how to do it safely.

    Anyway happy Hols

    Can't believe how WARM it was yesterday in London -- had Xmas dinner OUTSIDE in his garden !!!! no heaters needed either !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    26 Dec 2016 #26

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    @OldMike65

    It's OK for some people in USA to say "Never used Torrent sites" -- but if you are stuck in the middle of winter with only some hideous Russian TV program with Finnish subtitles or church services to watch I think you might have a different perception of the reason why some people access some of "those sites".

    I'm happy to PAY for content - but just too often it's NOT available and where I am never likely to be anyway -- maybe Hollywood etc should look at a business model whereby people can INDIVIDUALLY pay for content rather than going all out for the incredibily ineffective "Blocking sites" -- which never works, gives Govt a bad name and just makes the whole issue even worse.

    Even currently in the UK where I believe they block around 1,000 (or more) sites !!! -- even more than CHINA !!!!!!! it took me exactly 11 secs to show a friend using Virgin Media how to access the site flying "The Jolly Rodger".

    My post wasn't actually to comment on the rights / wrongs of accessing these sorts of sites -- merely to say that if you do then how to do it safely.

    Anyway happy Hols

    Can't believe how WARM it was yesterday in London -- had Xmas dinner OUTSIDE in his garden !!!! no heaters needed either !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Ok I didn't know that Jimbo ......anyways ....Hope you had a Good Christmas.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    26 Dec 2016 #27

    carls2006 said: View Post
    Ive been careless over the years and WD just wasnt enough.
    Did your computer get infected while using WD? If yes, how many times?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    26 Dec 2016 #28

    a small suggestion, try Norton 360. its an excellent anti virus program. monitors all internet actions. its essential that you have protection against viruses. -especially if you use the internet on a daily basis. in 2008, I forgot to update mine and got bombarded by 450 viruses. spent nearly 350 dollars eradicating them. never again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    27 Dec 2016 #29

    it should be according to what you do by your computer . as usual , the Windows 10 built in Windows Defender is enough for me . but if you worry about virus for your safety of money , then you'd better to get a third party antivirus .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    27 Dec 2016 #30

    Molyy said: View Post
    the Windows 10 built in Windows Defender is enough for me .
    For me too.

    Molyy said: View Post
    if you worry about virus for your safety of money , then you'd better to get a third party antivirus .
    The following saves you paying ransom money.
    RansomFree by Cybereason

    Pathfinder said: View Post
    bombarded by 450 viruses.
    I wonder how it could have happened.

    Pathfinder said: View Post
    spent nearly 350 dollars eradicating them.
    You did not have to spend money but time to clean install Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Related Threads
Can't uninstall antivirus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Before I updated to Win10, I ws using Bitdefender, free version. It was working fine until the next update of Win10, during which MS Defender activated itself. I didn't realise this at first, but started getting dire warnings about viruses, but no...
Best antivirus? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I have read through thread and I don't see any big group agreeing on one. I know I don't like Norton, been using avp... which is best?
Antivirus in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
When I installed Windows 10 all my programs installed in Windows 7 were automatically installed in Windows 10. My understanding is that Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is NO longer needed because "Defender" now acts as the antivirus. Will...
Solved Do I need antivirus? in Virtualization
From my question you will doubtless realize I'm new to virtual machines. I've just installed VMWare Player and W10 TP. On my host system I have Emsisoft Internet Security running. I have no idea whether this will also protect my VM setup or if...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums