Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 157
    Windows 10 64 bit, 1607
       28 Sep 2016 #51

    Is there anything around that details what the default permissions should be for a standard user?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 157
    Windows 10 64 bit, 1607
       28 Sep 2016 #52
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 157
    Windows 10 64 bit, 1607
       28 Sep 2016 #53

    As far as I can tell the "Users" folder is the only folder that is being "shared" and has been affected. As per the following screens, these windows come from the "Sharing" tab - "Advanced Sharing" in the "Users" folder properties not the "Security" tab.

    I'm guessing that I will remove all of the "Allow" permissions for "Everyone" and then untick the "Share this folder".

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	User_folder_permissions_7.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	377.1 KB 
ID:	103500
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       28 Sep 2016 #54

    Honestly, this is a sketchy area for me, so I will bow out, in the hopes that someone else well-versed in this can chime in.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 157
    Windows 10 64 bit, 1607
       28 Sep 2016 #55

    simrick said: View Post
    Honestly, this is a sketchy area for me, so I will bow out, in the hopes that someone else well-versed in this can chime in.
    That's OK. There's actually not a lot of info regarding this anywhere and seems to be something a lot of people aren't certain on.

    According to the links I've posted, Win 7 had an issue where in if you created a Homegroup or set up Public sharing the Users folder was automatically fully shared and if you removed the Homegroup the Users folder remained shared. Maybe Win 10 has inherited the same issue?

    At this stage I'm only guessing that a Homegroup creation has set this up but it's the only thing that seems feasible.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       28 Sep 2016 #56

    Kol12 said: View Post
    That's OK. There's actually not a lot of info regarding this anywhere and seems to be something a lot of people aren't certain on.

    According to the links I've posted, Win 7 had an issue where in if you created a Homegroup or set up Public sharing the Users folder was automatically fully shared and if you removed the Homegroup the Users folder remained shared. Maybe Win 10 has inherited the same issue?

    At this stage I'm only guessing that a Homegroup creation has set this up but it's the only thing that seems feasible.
    You could be right.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 157
    Windows 10 64 bit, 1607
       28 Sep 2016 #57

    Guys are you sure the default administrator account can be converted to a standard account? I just have this that I'll
    quote:

    "I'm not sure what best practices you've been reading, but unless something drastic changed in Windows 10 that I missed, the built-in administrator account (the one with a RID/SID ending in -500), can not be changed to a "standard user" account. It will always have administrative permissions."


    If it did continue to have administrative permissions I wouldn't be getting prompted for the admin password would I?


    Edit: I think he his referring to the "built in administrator" account, the one that you have to activate AFAIK.
    Last edited by Kol12; 29 Sep 2016 at 03:13.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 157
    Windows 10 64 bit, 1607
       29 Sep 2016 #58

    Would you guys mind sharing what your permissions are for the users folder?

    Do you have a "Everyone" listed on the security tab?

    Under the sharing tab - advanced sharing do you have a tick in the "Share this folder" box?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2016
    Posts : 157
    Windows 10 64 bit, 1607
       29 Sep 2016 #59

    Is there by any chance you guy's are using Public networks? This could play a big part in what folders are shared by default...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,154
    W10Prox64
       29 Sep 2016 #60

    Kol12 said: View Post
    Guys are you sure the default administrator account can be converted to a standard account? I just have this that I'll
    quote:

    "I'm not sure what best practices you've been reading, but unless something drastic changed in Windows 10 that I missed, the built-in administrator account (the one with a RID/SID ending in -500), can not be changed to a "standard user" account. It will always have administrative permissions."


    If it did continue to have administrative permissions I wouldn't be getting prompted for the admin password would I?


    Edit: I think he his referring to the "built in administrator" account, the one that you have to activate AFAIK.
    The built-in hidden administrator account is an admin-level account and can not be changed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
should I use a standard user account?
Is it still recommended to do your daily tasks in a non-administrator user account, or is that obsolete advice in windows 8-10?
User Accounts and Family Safety
Move/copy-paste User Account data & docs to New User account same sys
Guys I have done this in the past but cannot recall how and don't want to botch. I had hoped Windows 10 corrected the "rename user account" function but nope. I renamed a User Account due to conflict on the LAN and sure enough, now I have two...
User Accounts and Family Safety
standard user account and drive formatting
In Windows 10 Pro is there a way to prevent a user without administrator privileges using a standard account from being able to format a usb drive? "Perform volume maintenance tasks" is set for Administrators (Group Policy), which must be the...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved How to disable a user account in W10 Home?
I know I can't access the local users and groups policy in this version, but I can't figure on how to -temporarily- disable my kid's user account so that it cannot be logged in. Thanks!
User Accounts and Family Safety
Something really annoying - Win 10 Home user account.
Yesterday I've upgraded to Windows 10 Home 64 bit, from my Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium. Then I clean installed it, after the OS was activated. I used a local account and I have never switched to any of my Microsoft's e-mail accounts. The...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:40.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums