Norton Utilities and Norton Security useful or not ?


  1. Posts : 296
    Win 10 PRO 64 Bit
       #1

    Norton Utilities and Norton Security useful or not ?


    Just finished a reinstall of Windows 10, and I was wondering what the peanut gallery thought of these two programs.

    I uninstalled the Norton Security about a month ago while chasing my OS crashing issues. (Norton Security wasn't my problem), but I read good reports, and have relied on Windows defender in the mean time.

    Norton Utilities almost always seemed to find registry issues, and I bet if I install Norton Utilities it will find a boat load of issues in the registry, and change things. So I am leery about reinstalling what had been my favorite programs for a lot of years.

    Any thoughts?
      My Computer

  2. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 110,835
    Windows 10 Pro (x64) 21H1 19043.1083
       #2

    smalltown said:
    Just finished a reinstall of Windows 10, and I was wondering what the peanut gallery thought of these two programs.

    I uninstalled the Norton Security about a month ago while chasing my OS crashing issues. (Norton Security wasn't my problem), but I read good reports, and have relied on Windows defender in the mean time.

    Norton Utilities almost always seemed to find registry issues, and I bet if I install Norton Utilities it will find a boat load of issues in the registry, and change things. So I am leery about reinstalling what had been my favorite programs for a lot of years.

    Any thoughts?
    Interesting, as I've been running Nortons for about the last 8 years now. It has NEVER found a registry error on the 2 computers I'm running it on. I do use CCleaner thou, and let it check for registry errors manually.
    I only run Norton Security thou. I do NOT run Norton's Utilities. So maybe you could just run your Norton Security, and not install there Utilities program.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 296
    Win 10 PRO 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    OldMike65 do you find that Norton Security slows down your computer.
    I was wondering if running Windows Defender that Norton Security is redundant?
      My Computer

  4. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 110,835
    Windows 10 Pro (x64) 21H1 19043.1083
       #4

    smalltown said:
    OldMike65 do you find that Norton Security slows down your computer.
    I was wondering if running Windows Defender that Norton Security is redundant?
    My Windows Defender is OFF. I only run Norton Security, along with MalwareBytes Pro, and SuperAntiSpyware Pro. My Windows OS is installed on a Samsung SSD, so my boot up times are very fast, (23 secs) and all my programs run just fine. :)
    I am surprised to hear that your Defender is on, installing my Norton Security turned Defender off automatically.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 57
    Windows 10 Home Edition
       #5

    IMHO, you don't need Norton or any other third party antimalware. Windows Defender does a fine job.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 296
    Win 10 PRO 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    OldMike in previous versions of Windows Norton's turned off Windows Defender, but with the Win 10 anniversary update they can, both run.

    Elizabeth lately I have been running just Windows Defender !
      My Computer

  7. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 110,835
    Windows 10 Pro (x64) 21H1 19043.1083
       #7

    smalltown said:
    OldMike in previous versions of Windows Norton's turned off Windows Defender, but with the Win 10 anniversary update they can, both run.

    Elizabeth lately I have been running just Windows Defender !
    Thats fine, its always the users choice. :)
    Take Care, Mike.
      My Computers

  8. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 8,643
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H1 Build 19043.1110
       #8

    There are dedicated antimalware product test labs that provide indicators of the capabilities of different products [see the forum thread Indexing Options removed]

    Windows Defender always comes out very poorly in these tests. There have been some recent improvements and it is now only awful whereas it used to be abysmal. Here is a decent summary view of test results from a few months ago - https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus...ws/windows-10/

    Denis
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:22.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums