Windows 10: Kaspersky Internet Security 2016/17 & Anniversary Update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,526
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       06 Sep 2016 #1

    Kaspersky Internet Security 2016/17 & Anniversary Update


    Anyone using KIS 2016 & 2017 should note there are 'limitations' following the Anniversary Update - see https://support.kaspersky.com/us/11736 and https://support.kaspersky.com/us/12848 and http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/12394

    Maybe Defender is safer?

    Note Edge is not supported.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 824
    Win10/64 Pro 1511 (and 2 Win 7/64 Ult & Pro systems)
       06 Sep 2016 #2

    Hi:

    Thanks for posting.

    I'm not shilling for KL or anything...

    For the record, that KB article is > 1 month old (and predates patch (a), I think).
    And lots of folks have upgraded to KIS/KAV/KTS 2017 under RS1 without issue.
    BUT BUT Patch (b) has been in beta-testing for > 1 week, and is supposed to fix most of these issues:
    https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=356039

    I guess it's sort of like AU/RS1 itself: you'll have either no problems or some problems.

    Having said that, I lean a bit closer to the cautious Luddite side than to the adventurous "bleeding edge" side of things.
    So, I am still on Win10 1511 and KIS 2016 for a while longer.
    At my age, I like to take things slow and steady....

    Cheers,
    MM
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 1,526
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
    Thread Starter
       06 Sep 2016 #3

    MoxieMomma said: View Post
    Hi:

    Thanks for posting.

    I'm not shilling for KL or anything...

    For the record, that KB article is > 1 month old (and predates patch (a), I think).
    And lots of folks have upgraded to KIS/KAV/KTS 2017 under RS1 without issue.
    BUT BUT Patch (b) has been in beta-testing for > 1 week, and is supposed to fix most of these issues:
    https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=356039

    I guess it's sort of like AU/RS1 itself: you'll have either no problems or some problems.

    Having said that, I lean a bit closer to the cautious Luddite side than to the adventurous "bleeding edge" side of things.
    So, I am still on Win10 1511 and KIS 2016 for a while longer.
    At my age, I like to take things slow and steady....

    Cheers,
    MM
    I only spotted the information on Kaspersky's web site by chance and discovered the limitations and release of KIS 2017. I have KIS 2016 v16.0.0.614(g) - it does auto update but I've no idea whether I am still subject to the limitations.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 824
    Win10/64 Pro 1511 (and 2 Win 7/64 Ult & Pro systems)
       06 Sep 2016 #4

    Hi:

    I have KIS 2016 v16.0.0.614(g)
    That's been entirely weird of KL.
    You are on "MR0" (Maintenance Release 0), 16.0.0.614(g).
    For some reason, KL never shipped "MR1" (Maintenance Release 1) to the UK, even though it's available on the global site, in the US and in other locales.
    I have been on 16.0.1.445(e) since I swapped KIS for OEM Crapafee when I bought this box in July.

    It is true that they patched KIS 2016 for RS1 before they patched KIS 2017. This was done because there were many more users on 2016 than 2017 at that time. But they have patched and will continue to patch both 2016 (at least MR1, but I do not know about MR0) and 2017.

    I know that they localize their builds and throttle the releases, but it looks as if they never shipped MR1 to UK.
    Kaspersky Internet Security | Latest Versions | Kaspersky Lab UK

    Either that, or you have the updates setting disabled to turn off automatic program updates (see screen cap)????

    Ah, well. We'll probably never know.

    One of the great mysteries.

    My plan will be, when I am ready, to uninstall KIS 2016 (as they recommend) > update to AU/RS1/1607 > PROBABLY reinstall KIS 2016 for a while (because it is the more stable version) > and then eventually clean upgrade to KIS 2017, perhaps when they get to patch (c). Well, that's the plan...

    Cheers,
    MM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2016-09-06_16-34-58.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,526
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
    Thread Starter
       07 Sep 2016 #5

    I do have "Download & install new versions automatically" turned on. I'm also delaying upgrading to the AU until the missing drive/ RAW format bug is fixed since I have several internal drives. I've left a ticket with Kaspersky Support about which UK version to use. How can I find your version 16.0.1.445(e) and would my licence work?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 278
    windows 10 pro x64 stable build
       07 Sep 2016 #6

    Steve C said: View Post
    I do have "Download & install new versions automatically" turned on. I'm also delaying upgrading to the AU until the missing drive/ RAW format bug is fixed since I have several internal drives. I've left a ticket with Kaspersky Support about which UK version to use. How can I find your version 16.0.1.445(e) and would my licence work?
    kaspersky 2016 latest build, with patch e, is fully optimized for win 10 AU.
    If you have a licence for a kasperksy product, it will be good for the next two years and the past year -- for instance, a 2015 licence will work for 2014, and for 2016-2017.
    If you use this installer, it should update you to patch e. first you need to install, and then you need to let it update.
    During installation, it might offer to download for you the newest version. It is 2017. if you don't want 2017, then decline new version during installation.
    http://products.kaspersky-labs.com/e...445en_full.exe
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,526
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
    Thread Starter
       07 Sep 2016 #7

    shmu26 said: View Post
    kaspersky 2016 latest build, with patch e, is fully optimized for win 10 AU.
    If you have a licence for a kasperksy product, it will be good for the next two years and the past year -- for instance, a 2015 licence will work for 2014, and for 2016-2017.
    If you use this installer, it should update you to patch e. first you need to install, and then you need to let it update.
    During installation, it might offer to download for you the newest version. It is 2017. if you don't want 2017, then decline new version during installation.
    http://products.kaspersky-labs.com/e...445en_full.exe
    Thanks. I updated using your link and declined new versions but it still installed KIS 2017 v17.0.0.611! Anyway, everything seems to work.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 278
    windows 10 pro x64 stable build
       07 Sep 2016 #8

    Steve C said: View Post
    Thanks. I updated using your link and declined new versions but it still installed KIS 2017 v17.0.0.611! Anyway, everything seems to work.
    that's not nice of them, to put 2017 on a 2016 installer...
    in any case, 2017 is reputed to be even better. I tried it out on win10 and was very happy with it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 278
    windows 10 pro x64 stable build
       07 Sep 2016 #9

    shmu26 said: View Post
    that's not nice of them, to put 2017 on a 2016 installer...
    in any case, 2017 is reputed to be even better. I tried it out on win10 and was very happy with it.
    I have an old 2016 installer that I could link you to, if you want. It is actually for KTS, but after you put in your KIS license, it will revert to KIS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 824
    Win10/64 Pro 1511 (and 2 Win 7/64 Ult & Pro systems)
       07 Sep 2016 #10

    Hi, @Steve C:

    License:
    Yes, a valid license for 2016 will work for either MR0 or MR1, as well as for 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 versions.
    The current policy for consumer licenses is -1 and +3.
    So a 2016 license should work for 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019

    MR0 vs. MR1:
    You can get MR1 from the US site, or perhaps other regions that offer it.
    (One needs to know how to find the "previous versions" links on the KL web site for a particular locale.)
    And the installer will automatically update to patch (e) when you update it.
    HOWEVER, I do not necessarily recommend doing that.
    The major problem with running a version that is not officially offered in your locale is that KL support cannot/will not support it. They will not have been trained to do so. So, if you run into problems running MR1 on your system in the UK, where only MR0 is officially offered, your only support source will be the KL forums. The choice is up to you. But, especially now that 2017 has been released, you may run into issues getting official help from KL if you install MR1 in a region where it is not officially supported.

    Auto-Updates:
    If you have the setting in my screenshot enabled, you WILL get version 2017 automatically when it is available to you via the auto-updater. As you know, KL, like other vendors, throttles their new version releases. So there's no way to know exactly when you will get it. This "new version auto-update" feature is relatively new for KL. And it has caught some users by surprise. So, if you prefer to do a clean upgrade and/or want to have control about when and how to update to 2017, I suggest disabling that feature. NOTE: it only applies to major new versions, e.g. 2017, not to patches. Patches come in with regular auto-updates, even if that particular setting is disabled.

    I hope this helps,
    MM
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Windows Defender vs. Kaspersky Internet Security in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I've got Kaspersky KIS 2016 installed on Win10 and have turned (or tried to turn) Windows Defender off via Group Policy. It even says it's bee turned off. But Speccy v1.28.709 says: Windows Defender Windows Defender ...
Source: May 2016 security update release | MSRC See also: Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for May 2016 730086451484876805
turn off windows firewall and kaspersky internet security in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
hi 68101 how turn on? i click in view firewall option and click turn on kaspersky but it isnt work
Free Avast Internet Security 2016 For 1 Year in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Don't think this offer will be around for long so grab it while you can http://www.hotukdeals.com/freebies/avast-internet-security-2016-free-for-1-year-computerbild-de-2349582#comments
Solved Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 or 2016? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) 2016 does not appear on the Kaspersky UK page yet. Can KIS 2015 be used in Windows 10 and is it reliable pending UK support for KIS 2016?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:00.
Find Us