Windows 10: Windows Defender No Longer Performs AutoScan Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    21 Aug 2016 #1

    Windows Defender No Longer Performs AutoScan


    Hi There, I use Windows Defender on Windows 10 and have never had an issue. However, late last week it stopped performing its daily auto scans. I have not made any recent changes to my PC and do not use any other real time AV programs. The good news is it still updates its definition files automatically and performs on demand scans without consequence. Thus, I consider this a minor issue but still wonder if others who use Defender have noted this behavior.

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 2,278
    Windows 10.3 Home 1703 x64 (Home per choice)
       24 Aug 2016 #2

    Check, if this this task is enabled in Task Scheduler or run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Scheduled Scan" /Enable
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    24 Aug 2016 #3

    Schtasks


    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    Check, if this this task is enabled in Task Scheduler or run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Defender\Windows Defender Scheduled Scan" /Enable
    I have checked Task Scheduler but am not sure where to look to find the referenced task. Sorry as I am new to using this utility.

    Please note that I can open Task Scheduler Library - Microsoft - Windows - Windows Defender - The only task not showing as successfully run is Windows Defender Scheduled Scan (It shows (0x2) while all other tasks show (0x0)).The program updates fine and runs on demand without issue. I believe the issue is with MpRunCmd.exe. I would love to know where this file should be located on my pc. It currently resides in C:\Windows\Program Files\Windows Defender. It does not reside in C:\Windows (x86)\Program Files\Windows Defender. This is a 64 bit machine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 2,278
    Windows 10.3 Home 1703 x64 (Home per choice)
       24 Aug 2016 #4

    HokieMan said: View Post
    Please note that I can open Task Scheduler Library - Microsoft - Windows - Windows Defender - The only task not showing as successfully run is Windows Defender Scheduled Scan (It shows (0x2) while all other tasks show (0x0)).
    Yes, that is it. Try to setup a random scheduled scan, if it runs or not.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-defender
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 Aug 2016 #5

    TairikuOkami said: View Post
    Yes, that is it. Try to setup a random scheduled scan, if it runs or not.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-defender
    I ran the command line text you gave me and then set up a scheduled scan within Task Manager. It ran perfectly!!!
    Thanks so much for your assistance. I am not sure why the task had to be manually scheduled but nonetheless this workaround if effective. Thanks Again!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    27 Aug 2016 #6

    HokieMan said: View Post
    I ran the command line text you gave me and then set up a scheduled scan within Task Manager. It ran perfectly!!!
    Thanks so much for your assistance. I am not sure why the task had to be manually scheduled but nonetheless this workaround if effective. Thanks Again!!
    Unfortunately, the auto scan only worked one time after doing this. I will just do one online demand scan each day as there seems to be no solution. Thanks for your help
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 164
    Windows 10 14590 x64 and Win Insider test builds
       27 Aug 2016 #7

    HokieMan said: View Post
    Unfortunately, the auto scan only worked one time after doing this. I will just do one online demand scan each day as there seems to be no solution. Thanks for your help
    Thanks for the heads up . I will have to add manual Win Defender scans in my routine of otherwise bad PC habits.

    Among other OEM bloatware short of a clean recovery bloatware free option this PC or maybe win 10 has in general I had to uninstall OEM MaCafee trial bloatware they had turned on and run the cleaner for it on this new OEM HP CTO PC and start up Win defender and download mbam ,Chrome and Firefox ofc.

    ofc MaCafee is not on this SSD I put in here for daily driving on 14905 (for now until the next build ) either
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    27 Aug 2016 #8

    I didn't have any bloatware to remove since I had a clean install of Win 10 on this PC done at a local PC shop. I guess I am not the only one who doesn't seem to be able to get autoscan function with Win Defender to work
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    28 Aug 2016 #9

    Today, I turned off real time protection in Windows Defender and then rebooted my PC. Upon reboot, Defender had turned real time protection back on automatically. I waited awhile and rechecked Defender and noticed that it had finally run an autoscan. Perhaps this is all it took. I hope the autoscan will continue to work properly and I will monitor over the next few days.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2
    Win 10 Pro Insider Preview
       30 Oct 2016 #10

    HokieMan said: View Post
    Today, I turned off real time protection in Windows Defender and then rebooted my PC. Upon reboot, Defender had turned real time protection back on automatically. I waited awhile and rechecked Defender and noticed that it had finally run an autoscan. Perhaps this is all it took. I hope the autoscan will continue to work properly and I will monitor over the next few days.
    Any updates on this? Still working?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Windows 10 - No longer able to log in with pin in User Accounts and Family Safety
Hello, I use Lenovo Miix 700 (tablet) that I received through my school. The original account was my school account, but after adding my microsoft account as the main account it doesn't show the account picture I set or my username. Instead it is...
Hello. Using BitDefender. Cant seem to activate Windows Defender (also). Does Bit Defender prohibit Windows Defender from being activated ? Any idea why I can't activate ? Assuming I can, somehow, do I want both ?
Not sure if it's just me, but for some reason, since the Jan 12 patch Tuesday, I no longer see definition updates for Windows Defender on Windows Update's "View your update history" page. Anyone else noticing this? I, for one, am happy about...
Just noticed that after the install of the fall update, Windows Defender definition updates no longer appear in advanced update settings after they install: see All Settings>Update Security>Advanced options>View Your Update History. It appears...
My PC performs double shutdown in General Support
Hello, for the last two weeks, my computer has been having a weird shutdown process: When I press the shutdown button in the start menu, everything would close like normally until the screen goes black at the end and then, my components...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:19.
Find Us