Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2014
    Michigan USA
    Posts : 193
    Windows 10 64-bit Home
       18 Aug 2016 #1

    How to get rid of Vosteran & other undesirables?


    AdwCleaner scan keeps finding the same 5 items in Chrome. Both Windows Defender & Malwarebytes Pro do not detect these at all. Once AdwCleaner cleans, deletes & restarts my PC a new AdwCleaner scan indicates all these are gone. As soon a Chrome is launched, however, they're back shown as below.

    Are these serious & how to permanently get rid of them?

    Chrome pref Found: [C:\Users\...\Web data] - windows-installer-cleanup-utility.en.softonic.com
    Chrome pref Found: [C:\Users\...\Web data] - ask.com
    Chrome pref Found: [C:\Users\...\Web data] - aol.com
    Chrome pref Found: [C:\Users\...\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] - hxxp://vosteran.com/?....
    Chrome pref Found: [C:\Users\...\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] - hxxp://vosteran.com/?...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    In a house with a crazy cat trying to kill me
    Posts : 11,442
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 64 Pro, Win 10 64 Education Edition
       18 Aug 2016 #2

    This browser hijacker embeds itself in various places. Have a look here for steps to follow to clean your system. Most likely it's hijacked the shortcuts. Or you may need to reset the browser.

    How to remove Vosteran.com Search (Removal Guide)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : May 2016
    127.0.0.1
    Posts : 232
    Windows 10
       18 Aug 2016 #3

    Hi,

    Can you please attach the cleanlog of AdwCleaner? Also, resetting Google Chrome can help.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2014
    Michigan USA
    Posts : 193
    Windows 10 64-bit Home
       18 Aug 2016 #4

    Dropbox said: View Post
    Hi,

    Can you please attach the cleanlog of AdwCleaner? Also, resetting Google Chrome can help.
    Cleanlog.txt attached. Reset of Chrome was among the 1st things I tried.
    How to get rid of Vosteran & other undesirables? Attached Files
    Last edited by GARoss; 18 Aug 2016 at 10:00.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Michigan USA
    Posts : 193
    Windows 10 64-bit Home
       18 Aug 2016 #5

    Borg 386 said: View Post
    This browser hijacker embeds itself in various places. Have a look here for steps to follow to clean your system. Most likely it's hijacked the shortcuts. Or you may need to reset the browser.

    How to remove Vosteran.com Search (Removal Guide)
    Thanks. Followed this guide this morning & it found nothing even though a re-scan with AdwCleaner & it found the 5 mentioned in my posts again. This is embedded in the browser & rewrites itself once deleted.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 825
    Win10/64 Pro 1511 (and 2 Win 7/64 Ult & Pro systems)
       18 Aug 2016 #6

    Hi:

    Some of these critters re-spawn from Google Sync.

    In addition to the excellent advice already offered (especially resetting Chrome): you might go into your Google account and stop SYNC.
    You may also need to then uninstall and reinstall Chrome.

    Additional scans with addition tools may be needed...

    Let us know if this resolves your issue.

    MM
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2014
    Michigan USA
    Posts : 193
    Windows 10 64-bit Home
       18 Aug 2016 #7

    MoxieMomma said: View Post
    Hi:

    Some of these critters re-spawn from Google Sync.

    In addition to the excellent advice already offered (especially resetting Chrome): you might go into your Google account and stop SYNC.
    You may also need to then uninstall and reinstall Chrome.

    Additional scans with addition tools may be needed...

    Let us know if this resolves your issue.

    MM
    I stop SYNC, uninstalled / reinstalled Chrome. Without Chrome, everything scanned clean. After re-installing Chrome I scanned again with Adwcleaner & all as clean. Open Chrome browser, did another AdwCleaner scan & there they were.

    Is it time to dump Chrome?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Michigan USA
    Posts : 193
    Windows 10 64-bit Home
       18 Aug 2016 #8

    The simple solution was to uninstall Chrome. I did that & cannot find anything on AdwCleaner scan, Malwarebytes Pro or Windows Defender.

    Back to Firefox!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 734
    Windows 10 Home x64
       19 Aug 2016 #9

    Tried clearing c:\users\<your account>\AppData\Local\Google\ except for those files you need (like visited links and bookmarks)?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2014
    Michigan USA
    Posts : 193
    Windows 10 64-bit Home
       19 Aug 2016 #10

    eLPuSHeR said: View Post
    Tried clearing c:\users\<your account>\AppData\Local\Google\ except for those files you need (like visited links and bookmarks)?
    Thanks for your suggestion. Not much is that folder since I uninstalled Chrome. I'm going to stay with Firefox. Chrome isn't worth adware issues.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums