Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : May 2016
    Posts : 33
    Windows 10 64
       03 Aug 2016 #1

    Best antivirus for Windows 10 64?


    I know that's a bit vague, given the number of ways antivirus can be 'good' and 'bad' but what I'd word it as is:

    What do you guys use?

    Are any of the commercial products truly trustworthy? Aren't the big site reviews just an influenced ad for the products which win them?

    I'd like unbiased opinion as to what you fellas use - what's your preference?

    I swore by Malware Bytes but it's not true antivirus like your Kasperskys etc.

    So, looking for feedback, thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    03 Aug 2016 #2

    Hi. We've had a number of similar threads asking which is the best antivirus. Even the "experts" on youtube can't agree. You'll find a flood of people all expressing their own point of view based on their experiences.

    Personally I use Avast backed up with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

    Malwarebytes is designed to catch malware rather than virii so you're right in that its not a true antivirus and wasn't designed to be.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jul 2016
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10 Home
       03 Aug 2016 #3

    I'm using Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2016. Got a one-year license for $14.99 through Amazon. No problems so far and doesn't bog down the system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : May 2016
    Posts : 33
    Windows 10 64
       03 Aug 2016 #4

    swarfega said: View Post
    Hi. We've had a number of similar threads asking which is the best antivirus. Even the "experts" on youtube can't agree. You'll find a flood of people all expressing their own point of view based on their experiences.

    Personally I use Avast backed up with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

    Malwarebytes is designed to catch malware rather than virii so you're right in that its not a true antivirus and wasn't designed to be.
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I noticed Avast and their free version being well recommended.

    SuperAntiSpyware is a complete sham - I ditched that years ago!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : May 2016
    Posts : 33
    Windows 10 64
       03 Aug 2016 #5

    Kilwillie said: View Post
    I'm using Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2016. Got a one-year license for $14.99 through Amazon. No problems so far and doesn't bog down the system.
    Kaspersky is on my shortlist, I'm also tempted by McAfee but I've always been so loathe to subscribe to the mainstream AVs - was never trusting of them.

    I used to swear by NOD32 in the old days but it deteriorated badly in quality in more recent times.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 1,322
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       04 Aug 2016 #6

    Kilwillie said: View Post
    I'm using Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2016. Got a one-year license for $14.99 through Amazon. No problems so far and doesn't bog down the system.
    I get Kaspersky Internet Security free from my bank. It works fine apart from suspicions of being based in Russia.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    04 Aug 2016 #7

    DannyG13 said: View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I noticed Avast and their free version being well recommended.

    SuperAntiSpyware is a complete sham - I ditched that years ago!
    How is SAS a sham? Again like MBM its not an antivirus. It deals with malicious cookies and in that regard it does a very good job.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 149
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       04 Aug 2016 #8

    1. Use the search box before posting

    2. Your brain is the best defence

    3. Windows Defender with Malwarebytes if all else fails
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : May 2016
    Posts : 33
    Windows 10 64
       04 Aug 2016 #9

    garydexter said: View Post
    1. Use the search box before posting

    2. Your brain is the best defence

    3. Windows Defender with Malwarebytes if all else fails
    1: I did.

    2: Uh oh, I'm in trouble.

    3: WD has deteriorated in recent years. I've also never used MS' own software where I can avoid it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : May 2016
    Posts : 33
    Windows 10 64
       04 Aug 2016 #10

    swarfega said: View Post
    How is SAS a sham? Again like MBM its not an antivirus. It deals with malicious cookies and in that regard it does a very good job.
    I used it for years, and couldn't understand why it wasn't picking up a lot of malware - I couldn't fathom why I was so clean. I tried MWB and it found dozens, hundreds SAS missed. SAS' algorithms are poor, and so are the reviews. It's one app I won't go near again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Antivirus Updated Windows 10
Which Antivirus I used For My Updated Windows 10?
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Best antivirus for Windows 10
Hello, I have a question regarding antivirus programs on windows 10 - though this will also extend to windows 7 and windows 8.1. My new windows 10 laptop came preinstalled with McAfee, and the trial has almost expired - hence, I uninstalled...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
The Best Antivirus for Windows 10 Revealed
50274 Read more: The Best Antivirus for Windows 10 Revealed
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 & Antivirus Software
Windows 10 seems to be just what the programmers have said it would be. It seems fairly stable so far. The only real issue I have run into in the last 24 hours is antivirus related. Microsoft assured the public that the upgrade would not disable or...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs
Read more: Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums