Windows 10: Windows Defender Service missing. Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    05 Jul 2016 #1

    Windows Defender Service missing.


    Hi,

    I have a big issue, the Windows Defender Service is completely missing from the services and as such Windows Defender isn't working.

    Been searching and haven't been able to find something that solves my issue.

    Windows 10 Pro.

    Already tried -
    DISM - Failed, didn't find source or something like that.
    SFC /SCANNOW - Failed (checked log, only opencl.dll couldn't be restored)
    Launch MsMpEng.exe manually - Nothing.

    I have no idea how to fix this. =/ Please help.

    Regards,
    Sanya
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       05 Jul 2016 #2

    SanyaIV said: View Post
    Hi,

    I have a big issue, the Windows Defender Service is completely missing from the services and as such Windows Defender isn't working.

    Been searching and haven't been able to find something that solves my issue.

    Windows 10 Pro.

    Already tried -
    DISM - Failed, didn't find source or something like that.
    SFC /SCANNOW - Failed (checked log, only opencl.dll couldn't be restored)
    Launch MsMpEng.exe manually - Nothing.

    I have no idea how to fix this. =/ Please help.

    Regards,
    Sanya
    Hi.
    The opencl.dll error is nothing - don't worry about it.

    For the DISM repair, suggest you download the W10 ISO from MSTechBench and point to it with the DISM command as shown in the tut:
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1 /limitaccess
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    05 Jul 2016 #3

    simrick said: View Post
    Hi.
    The opencl.dll error is nothing - don't worry about it.

    For the DISM repair, suggest you download the W10 ISO from MSTechBench and point to it with the DISM command as shown in the tut:
    Thanks, I'll try that and report back.

    Edit: In case it doesn't fix the issue, the Windows Defender Service seem to be MsMpEng.exe (not .dll) and as such I can't just use regsvr32 to register it since it requires a dll (right?) So how would I go about fixing it? =S
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       05 Jul 2016 #4

    SanyaIV said: View Post
    Thanks, I'll try that and report back.

    Edit: In case it doesn't fix the issue, the Windows Defender Service seem to be MsMpEng.exe (not .dll) and as such I can't just use regsrv32 to register it since it requires a dll (right?) So how would I go about fixing it? =S
    Probably a repair install using an in-place upgrade, but let's see if DISM doesn't resolve it first.

    Do you have any other AV on the system? Do you know when the last time was that an AV scan was run? Have you ever run any anti-telemetry software on the system?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    05 Jul 2016 #5

    simrick said: View Post
    Probably a repair install using an in-place upgrade, but let's see if DISM doesn't resolve it first.

    Do you have any other AV on the system? Do you know when the last time was that an AV scan was run? Have you ever run any anti-telemetry software on the system?
    DISM didn't seem to fix it, running sfc /scannow again and then restart is in order to try again.

    I have used an anti-telemetry program, I'll run it again to see what I have blocked with it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       05 Jul 2016 #6

    SanyaIV said: View Post
    DISM didn't seem to fix it, running sfc /scannow again and then restart is in order to try again.

    I have used an anti-telemetry program, I'll run it again to see what I have blocked with it.
    Okay: The anti-telemetry program changes must be undone, and the repair install will need to be performed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       05 Jul 2016 #7

    • Do you have any other AV on the system?
    • Do you know when the last time was that an AV scan was run?


    Just to warn you: many, many of the systems I have run across with anti-telemetry modifications have required a clean install to get them working properly again....so be sure your data is backed up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    05 Jul 2016 #8

    simrick said: View Post
    Okay: The anti-telemetry program changes must be undone, and the repair install will need to be performed.
    simrick said: View Post
    • Do you have any other AV on the system?
    • Do you know when the last time was that an AV scan was run?


    Just to warn you: many, many of the systems I have run across with anti-telemetry modifications have required a clean install to get them working properly again....so be sure your data is backed up.
    I've undone the changes and started the repair process, will report back afterwards.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       05 Jul 2016 #9

    SanyaIV said: View Post
    I've undone the changes and started the repair process, will report back afterwards.
    Sounds good.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    05 Jul 2016 #10

    simrick said: View Post
    Sounds good.
    That fixed my issue, thank you! Now to go through all the settings that changed and fix them. =)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Windows defender missing from group policy editor in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Dear tenforums! I've attempted to turn off my windows defender via group policy editing, however; following the guide here on the forums(how to turn off defender) there is simply no folder/tree with windows defender in the group policy editor. I...
MUP service missing in General Support
I have just noticed this as a result of trying to fix the group policy service, which dependant on MUP therefore I don't know if it was always missing, happened in an upgrade has anyone else had a similar experience, any ideas there are...
Service registration is missing or corrupt in Windows Updates and Activation
Before I updated to Windows 10, I must have damaged some files whilst trying to turn off Windows 10 notifications in Windows 7. I couldn't do any updates in Windows 7 either. There is no error code. Windows update troubleshooter says: "Service...
Solved Windows Defender updates failed, service won't start in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
The last few days, Defender has been trying and failing to update its definitions. A manual update from Defender fails. Now Defender isn't working. Pressing Defender's Start button gives the message that the underlying service isn't running. The...
Windows defender service won't start (build 9860) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Hi there Anybody encountered THIS problem yet (I have no other AV software running). Windows defender won't start. Cheers jimbo
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:10.
Find Us