Windows 10: What extra software do I need with Windows 10 Solved

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
  1. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 19,795
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       01 Jul 2016 #311

    simrick said: View Post
    Just a little bit on the Speccy info:


    Attachment 87711

    This Driver Toolkit Scheduler might be gone now, as Speccy was run before the other scans. You can verify it's gone using the Scheduled Tasks of Ccleaner>Tools>Startup


    Attachment 87712

    Not sure why I'm seeing all these strange dates in the HotFixes list?
    I would make sure Defender shows it's definitions are up-to-date now, and Windows Update is working properly.

    That's all I see in the Speccy file.
    Thanks, @simrick for rooting thru the specs and logs. The weird date 30/12/1899? She has MS Office stuff on there.... check this: What is story behind December 30, 1899 as base date?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 189
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       01 Jul 2016 #312

    Thanks for checking everything! I so much appreciate your help!
    I will run the backup tomorrow when I have more time. That will be my homework!
    Noted also to run MBAM frequently.
    So what other programs should I keep and run frequently apart from MBAM and backup?

    Here are the settings for defender and windows updates.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Defender.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	327.5 KB 
ID:	87735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows updates.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	87736
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 19,795
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       01 Jul 2016 #313

    Lizzy said: View Post
    Thanks for checking everything! I so much appreciate your help!
    I will run the backup tomorrow when I have more time. That will be my homework!
    Noted also to run MBAM frequently.
    So what other programs should I keep and run frequently apart from MBAM and backup?

    Here are the settings for defender and windows updates.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Defender.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	327.5 KB 
ID:	87735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows updates.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	173.4 KB 
ID:	87736
    Lizzy, you're getting your updates automatically, good. Your Defender updates are current, good. MBAM will update it's definitions when you run it. Run the Defender Quick scan daily before any backup, same with MBAM. Look back a few posts where simrick suggested the Threat Scan on MBAM What extra software do I need with Windows 10 - Page 31 - Windows 10 Forums and follow those guidelines.

    Don't add any more programs or delete any more programs right now. Let it all settle in. You've only been on Windows 10 for 2 weeks now and should explore the new OS for a while. Get used to it, and get comfortable with it. No wild moves..... Remember the Big Update Aug 2nd.

    Enjoy your work! TC
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    01 Jul 2016 #314

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Thanks, @simrick for rooting thru the specs and logs. The weird date 30/12/1899? She has MS Office stuff on there.... check this: What is story behind December 30, 1899 as base date?
    Oh good grief! That's hilarious!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    01 Jul 2016 #315

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Lizzy, you're getting your updates automatically, good. Your Defender updates are current, good. MBAM will update it's definitions when you run it. Run the Defender Quick scan daily before any backup, same with MBAM. Look back a few posts where simrick suggested the Threat Scan on MBAM What extra software do I need with Windows 10 - Page 31 - Windows 10 Forums and follow those guidelines.

    Don't add any more programs or delete any more programs right now. Let it all settle in. You've only been on Windows 10 for 2 weeks now and should explore the new OS for a while. Get used to it, and get comfortable with it. No wild moves..... Remember the Big Update Aug 2nd.

    Enjoy your work! TC
    Just a quick note on this: MBAM will only auto-update definitions on the paid version; the free version requires you to update manually.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Slartybart's Avatar
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       01 Jul 2016 #316

    simrick said: View Post
    Oh good grief! That's hilarious!
    Interesting explanation .... but that would mean that MS didn't just copy Lotus in their spreadsheet, but also applied the erroneous leap year processing elsewhere. I don't recall seeing this in Speccy reports on previous versions of Windows - did some programmer copy bad date processing for Win10?

    The bug was inside the spreadsheet pgms when doing date calculations.
    The Speccy shows updates to the pgms.

    Date processing was always so much fun - then you had the YK2 end-of-the-world averted and you now have the micro-adjustments (only really important to mission critical applications)

    But yes Oh Good Grief!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. Slartybart's Avatar
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       01 Jul 2016 #317

    simrick said: View Post
    Just a quick note on this: MBAM will only auto-update definitions on the paid version; the free version requires you to update manually.
    Mbam free should check for malware definitions before it scans, when you press the scan button.

    I think it checks for program updates too - but yes, you have to manually apply pgm updates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 19,795
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       01 Jul 2016 #318

    simrick said: View Post
    Just a quick note on this: MBAM will only auto-update definitions on the paid version; the free version requires you to update manually.
    I believe it will update upon start of scan, check for updates, apply.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    01 Jul 2016 #319

    Slartybart said: View Post
    Mbam free should check for malware definitions before it scans, when you press the scan button.

    I think it checks for program updates too - but yes, you have to manually apply pgm updates.
    f14tomcat said: View Post
    I believe it will update upon start of scan, check for updates, apply.
    Yep, you guys are right. It didn't used to, but it does now!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. MoxieMomma's Avatar
    Posts : 824
    Win10/64 Pro 1511 (and 2 Win 7/64 Ult & Pro systems)
       01 Jul 2016 #320

    simrick said: View Post
    Just a quick note on this: MBAM will only auto-update definitions on the paid version; the free version requires you to update manually.
    Sorry to butt in...
    Actually, that's not quite how it works with the current version of MBAM.

    MBAM version 2.x (currently 2.2.1.1043) [and all future versions AFAIK] will automatically check for updates as part of its pre-scan operations for a manual scan in Free, Trial and Premium version.
    That change was implemented in 2014 with version 2.x, because many MBAM Free users did not know or bother to manually update before a manual scan.
    That resulted in lots of help desk tickets for false positives and false negatives, because the database version that ships with the installer is always out of date by the time the setup file is run.
    So, starting with version 2.x, MBAM was coded to automatically scan for updates before a manual scan.

    MBAM PREMIUM, the paid version (as well as the 14-day Trial version) can also be configured to automatically update on a schedule and, if the user chooses, immediately prior to a scheduled, automated scan. (There are separate settings for this.)
    But even with MBAM Premium and scheduled auto-updates, MBAM will automatically check for updates before a MANUAL scan, as long as the computer can reach the update servers.

    Having said all of that, there is certainly no harm in the user manually checking for updates before a manual scan under all versions (Free, Trial and Premium).


    And, as mentioned way way way way back (about 32 pages ago), please be aware that MBAM Free can only detect/remove malware that already made it onto the system. Realtime protection to help PREVENT infection in the first place requires a paid, Premium license.

    And now I shall crawl back under my rock.

    Cheers,
    MM
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Extra partitions in Installation and Upgrade
In ADMIN TOOLS|COMPUTER MGMT|DISK MGMT the following are listed... C: 952 GB "healthy recovery partition" 450 MB (the box is shaded) "healthy recovery partition" 449 MB D: 909 GB How can I get rid of the recovery partitions (or at...
Solved Extra storage in Drivers and Hardware
I want to add extra storage to my Surface Pro 3. I have 128gb on my HDD and would like to add at least another 64gb. Would I be better with an SD card or Flash Drive? RogerB
Hi there. I observed that when creating an executable with Visual Studio, Windows 10 will launch one (sometimes even two) extra thread. This happens even for the simplest program: int main() { return 0; } If you break on return 0, Visual...
I downloaded the iso and installed 10 over 7, doing the clean install option instead of an upgrade. After everything setup, I noticed some extra partitions were created that 7 did not have. Both are on my main C: drive. One is 450 MB labeled...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:06.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums