how to cancel windows defender automatic scans?  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  1. Posts : 5,447
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #11

    [QUOTE=philc43;696495 It is possible to have real time protection always on but only perform a full scan by manual triggering it from the WD control panel. .[/QUOTE]

    How to do that ?

    I tried WD > Settings > can't find an option to do what you suggested.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,167
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 21H2
       #12

    davidhk said:
    How to do that ?

    I tried WD > Settings > can't find an option to do what you suggested.
    Scroll to the bottom of the WD > Settings page and you can then select Open Windows Defender. You can then run a manual scan from the app. In my earlier post I explained that the automatic scanning is triggered via the Task Scheduler and that is where you turn it off or adjust the way it is triggered. As I said I have no problem with the automatic scanning - it performs unobtrusively in the background and usually only when the system is idle.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 5,447
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #13

    philc43 said:
    Scroll to the bottom of the WD > Settings page and you can then select Open Windows Defender. You can then run a manual scan from the app. In my earlier post I explained that the automatic scanning is triggered via the Task Scheduler and that is where you turn it off or adjust the way it is triggered. As I said I have no problem with the automatic scanning - it performs unobtrusively in the background and usually only when the system is idle.
    I missed the part about Task Scheduler in your earlier post.
    I thought it could be done another way.
    Thank you anyway.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #14

    It re-enables itself after a windows update, keep that in mind..
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,515
    Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2 (Build: 19045.2364)
       #15

    philc43 said:
    If you really want to, you can disable the scheduled scan task for Windows Defender. Personally I have never found it to be a problem. You will find the task in the Microsoft > Windows tasks in Task Scheduler. Right click it to select disable.

    Attachment 83692
    I have this problem from another thread here, what I did is disabling the task but WD will re-enable again.

    I also tried deleting it but WD will add it again.
    Anyone knows how to get rid of the task for good?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #16

    zebal said:
    I have this problem from another thread here, what I did is disabling the task but WD will re-enable again.

    I also tried deleting it but WD will add it again.
    Anyone knows how to get rid of the task for good?
    No, i haven't - replace it with Avast free.
    - on installation un-tick everything except for "File Shield" and "Behaviour Shield"
    - ignore and skip all the other suggestions that appear during install.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:38.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums