Windows 10: Malware on start up Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 49
    Win 10 Pro X64 Validated
       25 May 2016 #1

    Malware on start up


    Hello Guys and gals , its been a while since i have been here , i have unknowingly installed a piece of malware / spyware, i have tried all the known removal process, and still unsuccessful i do have a backup of the C:\ folder. under the c:\ Properties. i was wondering if i restore the folder ( before i caught the malware ) would that resolve my issue ? (See Attached Zip file )

    I do have a Image of my C:\ from 3 weeks aga

    Thanks in Advance
    Malware on start up Attached Files
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,506
    Win 10 Pro x64
       25 May 2016 #2

    Yes. Restoring the backup image will fix your problem as long as you are sure that your malware issue happened after that image was created.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 49
    Win 10 Pro X64 Validated
    Thread Starter
       26 May 2016 #3

    Hello Guys and Gals. i was successful in restoring my Image from 2 Months ago, took all of 15 mins, Saved me Months of time to reinstall everything, I also have a couple of incremental, Differential and full (smart backup), would restoring the ( Full smart backup ) dated 5/6/16 bring me up to Reasonable state before i was infected,, the smart backup was done before i was infected

    Thanks in Advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails backup.PNG  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 4,506
    Win 10 Pro x64
       26 May 2016 #4

    Pantz said: View Post
    Hello Guys and Gals. i was successful in restoring my Image from 2 Months ago, took all of 15 mins, Saved me Months of time to reinstall everything, I also have a couple of incremental, Differential and full (smart backup), would restoring the ( Full smart backup ) dated 5/6/16 bring me up to Reasonable state before i was infected,, the smart backup was done before i was infected

    Thanks in Advance


    If you think you are good and not missing anything or that much, just ignore those backups.

    Otherwise, go for it. If you get the problem back, then you just have to restore the image again. As long as you have a working image backup, you don't have to worry too much about trying anything. That's essentially what backups are for.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 49
    Win 10 Pro X64 Validated
    Thread Starter
       27 May 2016 #5

    Hello Guys and Gals. i have Restored the backup and i am now back to normal. Thanks for everyone's Help. i will be more Careful in the Future, glad i had an Image to restore from,

    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 14,568
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 64 Pro, Win 10 64 Education Edition
       27 May 2016 #6

    It wouldn't hurt to run TDSSKiller to make sure the last malware didn't leave a rootkit. And yes, having an system image can be a lifesaver for your data & save you a lot of headaches.

    TDSSKiller Download

    Note   Note
    When running TDSSKiller, launch the program, click on the blue text "Change Parameters" & check the box marked "Detect TDLFS File system." Click OK & then run the scan.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    27 May 2016 #7

    Hi there
    A good idea is to take a FULL backup say once a week and then daily / nightly incremental / differential ones. Then every second or third week delete the OLDEST backup plus the incrementals / differentials -- i.e keep 2 sets --one current and the previous one.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 11,960
    W10Prox64
       27 May 2016 #8

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there
    A good idea is to take a FULL backup say once a week and then daily / nightly incremental / differential ones. Then every second or third week delete the OLDEST backup plus the incrementals / differentials -- i.e keep 2 sets --one current and the previous one.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I disagree on the incremental ones. If one incremental goes bad, you're screwed on the whole linked bunch.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 4,506
    Win 10 Pro x64
       27 May 2016 #9

    simrick said: View Post
    I disagree on the incremental ones. If one incremental goes bad, you're screwed on the whole linked bunch.
    My approach is different. My data is always on a separate hard drive (not mixed with OS drive). So all of my images are purely system data (OS + main programs). If something goes wrong, I just image right away without having to worry about my data as they are intact on separate drive. If I need to re-install some of my programs, it's not an issue. I just reinstall them when I need them. I have all my installers on the same drive as data. It's so quick to install programs on M.2 SSD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    27 May 2016 #10

    badrobot said: View Post
    My approach is different. My data is always on a separate hard drive (not mixed with OS drive). So all of my images are purely system data (OS + main programs). If something goes wrong, I just image right away without having to worry about my data as they are intact on separate drive. If I need to re-install some of my programs, it's not an issue. I just reinstall them when I need them. I have all my installers on the same drive as data. It's so quick to install programs on M.2 SSD.
    Hi there

    I always take a complete backup / image of the OS - it's on a separate SSD on my system. I always fully back that up.

    @simrick as far as incrementals go I was assuming that this refers to DATA (Music, Video etc). These sorts of files shouldn't change very often so the incrementals once a week should be quite safe --you don't really want to back up say a multi-media library of 10 TB every day !!! - usually unnecessary. Even if you were with a bad accident to lose one set of incrementals you probably wouldn't have lost too much data.

    Re-creating a complete multi-media library though would be a mega pain

    --re CD / DVD rips, re-tagging music files, recovering stuff from iTunes etc.
    Would be a real pain !!!! even for a smallish set of multi-media directories.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Hey guys, I am having a problem with Windows 10, I can't pin/unpin tiles from Start Menu. I can't even drag and re-arrange them. This started happening after I installed massive malware source on my PC and it installed yessearch all over the system....
Solved Browser Malware Etc in Browsers and Email
A while back I commented on browsers, namely firefox, adding malware to their product. I was told basically that this was impossible if I got it from source, which I always do. I meant to produce some visual evidence but a bad memory let time...
Malware Alert in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
There is a file called ShowKeyPlus v105835 Portable.7z doing the rounds. It appears to contain a downloader, possibly to steal keys. (Was just a matter of time, I suppose :( ) 55859
Malware or Virus? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I usually use downmagz.com to download magazines. Today, I went to there to get some mags and when I went to the download page I got a popup that said CableONE has blocked the website. Clicked OK and then a page came up with a blue screen and...
Evening all, sorry I'm posting in the dark (irl) on an old laptop, this is as close to a BSOD as can be, sorry if it's the wrong forum. I'll be as specific as I can; All was well until this evening whereupon restarting caused 'gangnamgame' site...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59.
Find Us