Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
  1.    17 Mar 2017 #91
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,942
    W10Prox64

    Did you write down the keycode you purchased online?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    17 Mar 2017 #92
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 21
    Windows 10

    Well I don't know what you meant by we could do something with the Task Manager.
    It looks like I could open the File Explorer by just opening the recycle bin and going on from there. So I could maneuver it to get in the USB and start the setup.exe.

    Just a question: I only have one USB Stick that I already used for installing Windows 10 in the first time. Can I just delete everything there is on the stick and just download the tool and use the usb again (to make sure it's the latest version)
    Or is there a special removal way that I should do to remove the old (maybe not old) setup from the USB?


    After that, I'm guessing I just open the setup.exe and go on from there, the instructions should be pretty easy to follow so I keep nothing (Choose what to keep; then tick the "Nothing" box)?

    And if it is like you say, after it installed it shouldn't ask me for a license key? (That's the thing I'm most afraid of)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    17 Mar 2017 #93
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,942
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderjkm View Post
    Well I don't know what you meant by we could do something with the Task Manager.
    It looks like I could open the File Explorer by just opening the recycle bin and going on from there. So I could maneuver it to get in the USB and start the setup.exe.
    Task Manager has a RUN NEW TASK function, which can be used to maneuver around a broke system a little bit.

    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderjkm View Post
    Just a question: I only have one USB Stick that I already used for installing Windows 10 in the first time. Can I just delete everything there is on the stick and just download the tool and use the usb again (to make sure it's the latest version)
    Or is there a special removal way that I should do to remove the old (maybe not old) setup from the USB?
    Yes, you can reuse the same stick. Just delete what's on there now.


    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderjkm View Post
    After that, I'm guessing I just open the setup.exe and go on from there, the instructions should be pretty easy to follow so I keep nothing (Choose what to keep; then tick the "Nothing" box)?

    And if it is like you say, after it installed it shouldn't ask me for a license key? (That's the thing I'm most afraid of)
    At this point, if you are not going to keep anything, you might as well just boot from the stick you have, clean install W10, and just let it update when finished. It should not need a key to activate, as long as the system was activated once already.

    Now, please answer my question: Did you write down the key when you purchased it online? Do you have it somewhere? The reason I ask is, if that was a Retail key, you'd want to keep it, because Retail keys can be moved to a new system, when the old one dies. So, if you bought a Retail key, and you don't know what the number is, we'll need to grab it before you do a clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    17 Mar 2017 #94
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 21
    Windows 10

    Well, I don't know what a Retail key is and what its differences to the other types of keys are.
    I bought it from a german website, and I got it through an e-mail. Good thing I still have the e-mail with the key.
    But, translated (by Google Translate), the top thing in the product description is:

    Important Note: Please note that the activation key is not suitable for upgrades. This version is perfect for a new installation.

    Should that be worrying?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    17 Mar 2017 #95
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,942
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderjkm View Post
    Well, I don't know what a Retail key is and what its differences to the other types of keys are.
    I bought it from a german website, and I got it through an e-mail. Good thing I still have the e-mail with the key.
    But, translated (by Google Translate), the top thing in the product description is:

    Important Note: Please note that the activation key is not suitable for upgrades. This version is perfect for a new installation.

    Should that be worrying?
    Just a guess - it's probably an OEM System Builder key (no transfer rights).

    So, which have you decided to do: an in-place upgrade, a reset or a clean install?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    17 Mar 2017 #96
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 21
    Windows 10

    I would really like to do a clean install.
    I just remembered, I did buy an OEM key.

    If this helps somehow on the system information thing in my computer under Windows edition there's Windows 10 Pro and under windows activation it says Windows is activated, and the Product ID.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    17 Mar 2017 #97
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,942
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderjkm View Post
    I would really like to do a clean install.
    I just remembered, I did buy an OEM key.

    If this helps somehow on the system information thing in my computer under Windows edition there's Windows 10 Pro and under windows activation it says Windows is activated, and the Product ID.
    Okay - make it easy: Just boot the current flash drive you have, do the install, skip entering a key (if it asks for one), and then let Windows Update bring to to the latest.

    When booting, in the beginning you'll have an option for a custom install, and you will be able to delete all existing partitions, so that you are installing to a completely unallocated drive. That will be the best. See starting at #10 here:
    Clean Install Windows 10

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	125506

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	125507

    Installing to a completely unallocated drive will ensure nothing from the previous installation will be left.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    17 Mar 2017 #98
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 21
    Windows 10

    I will do that and I will be back.
    One more question though.

    If I do, in fact, need another key, do I have to buy another one or is the old one bound to my microsoft account or something so I could get that back?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    17 Mar 2017 #99
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,942
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderjkm View Post
    I will do that and I will be back.
    One more question though.

    If I do, in fact, need another key, do I have to buy another one or is the old one bound to my microsoft account or something so I could get that back?
    An OEM System Builder Key, (if that is what you got), is bound to the original system on which it is installed. So, your key will only work on that system, and will not activate another one.

    If you normally sign-in to that system using your MS account, then that system will show in your MS account online.

    As long as you have not changed the Motherboard or CPU, it will activate without inputting a key during installation.

    If you do change the MB or chip, and activation fails, you can use the Activation Troubleshooter, which works in conjunction with your MS user account, and the system as it is listed under your account.

    You won't have any problems activating. The only way you might have a problem, is if you bought the key from a "shady" outfit, who re-sold it many times, and the key ended up getting blocked by MS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    17 Mar 2017 #100
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 21
    Windows 10

    Yeah, I just started the setup and it asked me for a key, I had no other option than to proceed with "I don't have a key".

    I'm guessing I'll have to live with the Activate Windows Watermark until I buy another key?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Bitsadmin pops up randomly and immediately disappears.
During the day a cmd window will pop up and immediately disappear without warning, kicking me out of fullscreen applications and being a general annoyance. I suspect something more sinister but Windows Defender, Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware...
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Edge appears when I click on it, then disappears immediately
Edge appears when I click on it--or something does--then immediately disappears. Is there a way to reinstall it? or correct this behavior? I recently had huge problems with setting permissions and to solve them I restored to an earlier restore...
Browsers and Email
Bottom taskbar disappears randomly after using external monitor
Hi there connecting a bog standard laptop (display res 768 X 1366) to a second monitor and setting that as the primary display (HD 1920 X 1080) the bottom taskbar randomly disappears or becomes non functional. The strange thing is that if I...
General Support
Calculator pops up every second
Calculator pops up every second. Can not stop it only by shutting down my pc. How can I resolve this or how do I delete calculator? Thnx! Ron
Software and Apps
Solved Pops and clicks when using MPC-HC
Please delete
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:42.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums