Windows 10: EMET 5.5, Avira and BitLocker Solved

  1.    03 Mar 2016 #1

    EMET 5.5, Avira and BitLocker


    Hello,

    This is my second attempt at using Windows 10. I couldn't get EMET working properly on the first try, but I decided to give it a final shot before going back to Arch Linux.

    So, my main problem: I can't enable DEP system-wide. EMET says that the BitLocker service must be suspended, I click "OK", then it just says "Error".

    Here's images that show the problem: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

    Does anyone have an idea why this happens?

    The not-so-important problem

    I installed Avira Free with the intention to use it as my main scanner (HIPS, Sandbox, and Firewall will be handled by COMODO). However, it disabled Windows Defender and it complained to me. Could there be any problems about it? Microsoft says that they'll turn on WD if it's off for a while, so will Avira just keep it disabled?

    Regards,
    Amarildo

    EDIT: I tried opening EMET_Conf.exe with the option "--system --force dep=ApplicationOptOut", but it just doesn't respond, it does nothing.

    I also edited the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EMET\EnableUnsafeSettings registry KEY, with no avail.
    Last edited by Amarildo; 03 Mar 2016 at 04:44.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 15,592
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 64 Pro, Win 10 64 Education Edition
       03 Mar 2016 #2

    I posted an article recently that MS feels Win 10 is secure enough without EMET & they may be backing away from supporting it for 10. That could be the reason it's not installing correctly, among other causes.

    Anytime you run another AV, Defender should be automatically disabled. Perhaps Avira doesn't "play well" with 10 yet. Or Win doesn't like the idea of another AV on their OS. Wait & see if Defender come back on down the road. If not, then Avira is doing it's job. If Defender comes back on & does something like disable Avira, it might be wise to go to the Avira support page & see if other people are having the same issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    03 Mar 2016 #3

    @Borg 386: I use Avira free and it works fine with Windows 10. Instead of EMET I use Malwarebytes Anti Exploit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 15,592
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 64 Pro, Win 10 64 Education Edition
       03 Mar 2016 #4

    prikker said: View Post
    @Borg 386: I use Avira free and it works fine with Windows 10. Instead of EMET I use Malwarebytes Anti Exploit.
    Thank you for the input, that shows that Avira should run on 10 with no probs. However people have different configs, so it's hard to say why Defender is complaining on Amarildos system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    03 Mar 2016 #5

    Borg 386 said: View Post
    I posted an article recently that MS feels Win 10 is secure enough without EMET & they may be backing away from supporting it for 10. That could be the reason it's not installing correctly, among other causes.
    But is that actually true? I mean, is there any way I can see evidence of Windows 10's built-in security replacing EMET?

    Here's how I deal with security:


    • I set up a strong password for the first account created, named "Admin";
    • UAC to Max;
    • Then I create a non-Admin account and use that daily, and so whenever a change to the OS takes place I must type the admin password;
    • MBAM Premium;
    • Avira Free for Primary resident scanning;
    • COMODO Internet Security, with HIPS on Safe Mode, custom Firewall rules, Sandboxing for most programs;
    • VeraCrypt for offline security and privacy;



    Borg 386 said: View Post
    Anytime you run another AV, Defender should be automatically disabled. Perhaps Avira doesn't "play well" with 10 yet. Or Win doesn't like the idea of another AV on their OS. Wait & see if Defender come back on down the road. If not, then Avira is doing it's job. If Defender comes back on & does something like disable Avira, it might be wise to go to the Avira support page & see if other people are having the same issue.
    I see. Thanks.

    But how long should the wait be? I have now idea what MS mean by "a while".

    prikker said: View Post
    @Borg 386: I use Avira free and it works fine with Windows 10. Instead of EMET I use Malwarebytes Anti Exploit.

    Thanks.

    Borg 386 said: View Post
    Thank you for the input, that shows that Avira should run on 10 with no probs. However people have different configs, so it's hard to say why Defender is complaining on Amarildos system.

    Actually, it's not I did complain right when Avira was installed, it complained only about being disabled I think.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 15,592
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 64 Pro, Win 10 64 Education Edition
       03 Mar 2016 #6

    Here's the article I saw or similar to it & posted.

    Microsoft's malware mitigator refreshed, but even Redmond says it's no longer needed • The Register

    It does say it supports 10, so the problem of it not going in lies elsewhere. You may have run into a block since your running Comodo. I've dealt with it before, I'm am running it on 2 of the OS's I have & sometimes it makes installation of deep level software a bit hard. You have to jump through a lot of hoops & allow a lot of settings. It might be a good idea to completely disable Comodo while you install EMET.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Mar 2016 #7

    Borg 386 said: View Post
    Here's the article I saw or similar to it & posted.

    Microsoft's malware mitigator refreshed, but even Redmond says it's no longer needed • The Register

    It does say it supports 10, so the problem of it not going in lies elsewhere. You may have run into a block since your running Comodo. I've dealt with it before, I'm am running it on 2 of the OS's I have & sometimes it makes installation of deep level software a bit hard. You have to jump through a lot of hoops & allow a lot of settings. It might be a good idea to completely disable Comodo while you install EMET.
    Hi,

    After a few weeks of trying, re-installing the OS and installing only EMET, I can only enable DEP via EMET if Bitlocker is set up. This is ridiculous, I use TrueCrypt for encryption. I even bought a Windows 7 Ultimate license to see if the problem was that my Windows 7 Home Basic didn't have BitLocker, but now it's clear that I must setup Bitlocker in order to do what I want.

    Would anyone know a way of fixing this? I really don't want to get in contact with Microsoft, otherwise they'd sue me for namecalling.

    There must be a way of trick Windows/EMET into thinking I have Windows protected by BitLocker.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    30 Mar 2016 #8

    SOLVED:

    What solved to me:



    • Open CMD as Administrator.
    • If you want DEP to always on, paste the following command (without quotes): "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn"
    • If you want DEP to Application Opt Out, paste the following command (without quotes): "bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx OptOut"
    • Then reboot.


    If you open EMET now, you'll see that the selected option is correct to what you specified on CMD before rebooting.

    If you want to change DEP settings again, do the same thing via CMD, then reboot. Don't try to change it via EMET GUI otherwise you'll still get that error.


    Hope this helps
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved Microsoft: Windows 10, Edge so secure they don't need our EMET in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Microsoft: Windows 10, Edge so secure they don't need our EMET anti zero-day shield | ZDNet
Avira Scout Browser in Browsers and Email
59496 Yet another 'Browser' rears it's head upon the 'Surfing Seas'! Avira Scout Browser, (Version 2016.01.14.00353b (beta) based on Chromium 47.0.2526.111), available for testing now but, you need to apply for it. ...
Avira for Windows 10? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
After reading this, I decided to use Avira for Windows 10: Test antivirus software for Windows 8 - June 2015 | AV-TEST Anyone had any bad experience with Avira on W10? Thank you:)
Read more... See also: Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) - Windows 7 Help Forums
Having Issues installing Bitdefender and Avira on my system in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I had Panda installed fine on my W10 machine, but completely removed it and bought a years Bitdefender so i was going to use that. When I try to install it, it hangs at the 99% mark, and the whole windows system hangs - file explorer wont work,...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48.
Find Us