Windows 10: Is IncrediMail Safe?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. gregyurkon's Avatar
    Posts : 476
    Windows 10.0.17134.48 (1803) Home 64-bit
       26 Feb 2016 #1

    Is IncrediMail Safe?


    Does anyone know anything about IncrediMail? I used to use it with WinME, but recently I downloaded it and NOD32 called it "A potentially unwanted application."
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    26 Feb 2016 #2

    It is malware - at least in my book.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. davidhk's Avatar
    Posts : 5,207
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       26 Feb 2016 #3

    I used it when I had the Vista. That's about 5 years ago.
    Like most people, I used it because of the fascination of the Smileys etc. they were so , well, unbelievable.
    Unfortunately, that is where the danger lies, such as waywayworld or something like that hiding in the registry.
    It busted up my computer and I had to start everything from scratch....... factory settings and all that craps.

    That said, it was 5 years ago.
    Since it is still alive and kicking, maybe it is safe now, but I won't try again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    26 Feb 2016 #4

    I first became aware of IncrediMail back in Windows 98 days. I never used it my self but my brother did. He wasn't much impressed and found it very difficult to fully remove, having created a large number of registry entries for some purpose or other. Apparently his experience wasn't unique. Apparently people still have such problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. gregyurkon's Avatar
    Posts : 476
    Windows 10.0.17134.48 (1803) Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       26 Feb 2016 #5

    whs said: View Post
    It is malware - at least in my book.
    davidhk said: View Post
    I used it when I had the Vista. That's about 5 years ago.
    Like most people, I used it because of the fascination of the Smileys etc. they were so , well, unbelievable.
    Unfortunately, that is where the danger lies, such as waywayworld or something like that hiding in the registry.
    It busted up my computer and I had to start everything from scratch....... factory settings and all that craps.

    That said, it was 5 years ago.
    Since it is still alive and kicking, maybe it is safe now, but I won't try again.
    LMiller7 said: View Post
    I first became aware of IncrediMail back in Windows 98 days. I never used it my self but my brother did. He wasn't much impressed and found it very difficult to fully remove, having created a large number of registry entries for some purpose or other. Apparently his experience wasn't unique. Apparently people still have such problems.
    I guess maybe it was the reason I had to reinstall WinME about once a month.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. hTconeM9user's Avatar
    Posts : 2,676
    Windows 10x64 Home Version 1803 (Build 17134) .285
       26 Feb 2016 #6

    I used to use incredimail until I found out that it was not as good as the Mail App,
    Also they keep pressing to upgrade and pay for the extra apps
    Also it did keep freezing if too many e-mails came through
    I had only just paid a years subscription when I dumped it.
    Also be warned once on your system it takes a lot to get rid of it
    I had to go right into Programs to get rid of it and use Revo Uninstaller to get all traces of it,
    They do not keep it up to date and there have been a lot of problems with it lately
    My Advise steer well clear of it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7. gregyurkon's Avatar
    Posts : 476
    Windows 10.0.17134.48 (1803) Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       26 Feb 2016 #7

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    I used to use incredimail until I found out that it was not as good as the Mail App,
    Also they keep pressing to upgrade and pay for the extra apps
    Also it did keep freezing if too many e-mails came through
    I had only just paid a years subscription when I dumped it.
    Also be warned once on your system it takes a lot to get rid of it
    I had to go right into Programs to get rid of it and use Revo Uninstaller to get all traces of it,
    They do not keep it up to date and there have been a lot of problems with it lately
    My Advise steer well clear of it.
    I didn't know it was even possible to write something which is not as good as the Mail App.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    26 Feb 2016 #8

    My Advise steer well clear of it.
    Absolutely. It can be a real pita once you allow it on your system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. Barman58's Avatar
    Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1803 - 17134.5 XP/Vista/Win7/Win8.1 in VM for testing
       26 Feb 2016 #9

    PUPs or potentially unwanted programs are programs which the developers of the security, or browser software, in their opinion, either contain dangerous or potentially dangerous routines or components.

    These can often not be the main program at all, but one of the many free little extras that developers, (or more often than not download sites), add into the installer in order to help pay their bills. You need to research what is included in the installer, (choose the advanced not the express install, so that all options are displayed), and decide if you want to exclude all or some of the program parts.

    Some software can of course be considered as a PUP for possible dangerous or suspect within the actual software. the security software should have a what is this or more info option to check why they consider the item a pup - use this to decide yourself if you wish to continue with the install.

    I have a few PUPs on my system, one of my security suits flag some of my professional software, Mostly security orientated, as pups but I continue to use them without issues

    Personally I use Thunderbird for a local email client but actually spend more time using the Web Based mail app - if you decide you are not sure about Incredimail have a look at Thunderbird or one of the other clients available
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10. gregyurkon's Avatar
    Posts : 476
    Windows 10.0.17134.48 (1803) Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       26 Feb 2016 #10

    Barman58 said: View Post
    PUPs or potentially unwanted programs are programs which the developers of the security, or browser software, in their opinion, either contain dangerous or potentially dangerous routines or components.

    These can often not be the main program at all, but one of the many free little extras that developers, (or more often than not download sites), add into the installer in order to help pay their bills. You need to research what is included in the installer, (choose the advanced not the express install, so that all options are displayed), and decide if you want to exclude all or some of the program parts.

    Some software can of course be considered as a PUP for possible dangerous or suspect within the actual software. the security software should have a what is this or more info option to check why they consider the item a pup - use this to decide yourself if you wish to continue with the install.

    I have a few PUPs on my system, one of my security suits flag some of my professional software, Mostly security orientated, as pups but I continue to use them without issues

    Personally I use Thunderbird for a local email client but actually spend more time using the Web Based mail app - if you decide you are not sure about Incredimail have a look at Thunderbird or one of the other clients available
    I guess I'll test it in a VM and see what happens.

    As far as Thunderbird is concerned, that's what I'm currently using, but I'm tired of spending up to a week at their "support" forum every time I have a problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Solved How safe is the Cloud? in Software and Apps
I have a friend who wants to install Office 365. She is intrigued by The Cloud without really understanding what it is and this has attracted her to a version of Office that uses the Cloud. I'm afraid she has a rather exalted view of what the Cloud...
Safe mode.. in General Support
So, I encountered a virus that prevented me from using my antivirus. Consequently I entered safe mode to try to use my antivirus. I realize now that that makes no sense, since apparently you can't make analysis in safe mode. But that's is not the...
Solved safe menu in General Support
someone told me to get in safe menu on windows 10 to go to start 10 click in search msconfig then click boot menu and restat pc and it would be in safe mode ...iT WORKED I am now in safe mode and can't get out of safe mode I have tried everything I...
incredimail reinstall in Browsers and Email
hello all, I am trying to reinstall incredimail but i keep getting the message " a later version already exits and it cannot continue" I uninstalled the old oneusing windows uninstall and tried using cclean and Iobit uninstaler. i have tried in...
.ima in incredimail in Browsers and Email
Hello all, i use incredimail and since this official release of win 10 I keep getting an error message telling me "icredimail needs to be assoscsated with .ima file s do you want to assocciate it YES/NO" no matter what select I still get this...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:48.
Find Us