Windows 10: Antivirus needed??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    30 Jan 2015 #11

    I don't believe Windows Defender is good enough for the job. And like any version of Windows you need a robust security setup. I have AVG free installed and have had no issues so far.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    30 Jan 2015 #12

    JDobbsy1987 said: View Post
    Unfortunately i believe this will be the case with any AV regardless of how good it may be, they can't protect you from everything out there but will eliminate the vast majority of threats providing your AV is up to date.

    I used to use AVG Free for XP and half of my use of Windows 7 at which point started using MSE (Defender from Windows 8... as MSE was built into Defender).

    AVG - Had 1 or 2 infections (I had a lot to do with that i'm sure)
    MSE/Defender - Not had an infection yet

    Everyone will have their own story which brings us back to the age old question of "Which AV is the best?"... There isn't a 'Best' one.

    -Jamie
    This is the same song and dance I hear every time I tell this story. If the free AV app allowed an infection I don't know how you can say, nothing is perfect and continue to use it. In W7 Webroot blocked the download of a file but in W10, MS Defender allowed it to be downloaded. The choice is clear to me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    30 Jan 2015 #13

    In the end of the day the best AV is still the one between your ears.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    30 Jan 2015 #14

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    In the end of the day the best AV is still the one between your ears.

    Jeff
    True but the browser hijacker came from a file sharing site(Dev-Host) which I had downloaded all kinds of files from before with no problems. I thought it was safe.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    30 Jan 2015 #15

    wptski said: View Post
    BunnyJ said: View Post
    In the end of the day the best AV is still the one between your ears.

    Jeff
    True but the browser hijacker came from a file sharing site(Dev-Host) which I had downloaded all kinds of files from before with no problems. I thought it was safe.
    That's your problem.. trusting file sharing sites. They're know for including things like that,
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Jan 2015 #16

    Avast is your Friend
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    30 Jan 2015 #17

    waffler said: View Post
    Avast is your Friend
    I never like avast.. when I used it I found that it would block programs that I coded and tried to test. Not useful for me one bit. AVG is ok I guess but in the end I would use a pay AV, Kaspersk. I've used it in the past and it's great, IMO.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    30 Jan 2015 #18

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    wptski said: View Post
    BunnyJ said: View Post
    In the end of the day the best AV is still the one between your ears.

    Jeff
    True but the browser hijacker came from a file sharing site(Dev-Host) which I had downloaded all kinds of files from before with no problems. I thought it was safe.
    That's your problem.. trusting file sharing sites. They're know for including things like that,
    Develophers for my old tablet stored their work there and there never was an issue but Cnet if full of malware.

    OT: Anyone that has possibly purchased BitDefender at a discount, wasn't satisfied with it and stopped using it like me. I was greeted with a $70 PayPal charge this morning. I "assume" they have a auto-renewal that I missed! I've been notified before prior to a upcoming charge but I guess AvanGate doesn't do that. I have filed a complaint with PayPal, we'll see how that goes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,424
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       30 Jan 2015 #19

    wptski said: View Post
    JDobbsy1987 said: View Post
    Unfortunately i believe this will be the case with any AV regardless of how good it may be, they can't protect you from everything out there but will eliminate the vast majority of threats providing your AV is up to date.

    I used to use AVG Free for XP and half of my use of Windows 7 at which point started using MSE (Defender from Windows 8... as MSE was built into Defender).

    AVG - Had 1 or 2 infections (I had a lot to do with that i'm sure)
    MSE/Defender - Not had an infection yet

    Everyone will have their own story which brings us back to the age old question of "Which AV is the best?"... There isn't a 'Best' one.

    -Jamie
    This is the same song and dance I hear every time I tell this story. If the free AV app allowed an infection I don't know how you can say, nothing is perfect and continue to use it. In W7 Webroot blocked the download of a file but in W10, MS Defender allowed it to be downloaded. The choice is clear to me.
    It's clear to you... not the millions of people who have never had an issue with MSE hence there isn't a "best" one, i have seen many infections on PC's regardless of the AV installed (Kaspersky, McAfee, AVG etc...).

    These infections are from both Home Users and Corporate Users that i support at work.

    I've not had an issue with MSE YET, you haven't had an issue with Webroot YET

    I'm in no way saying people should use MSE, that's an individual choice.
    There is really no catch all fix.

    -Jamie
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    30 Jan 2015 #20

    Seriously,. there is not one single AV that's going to keep you from getting either a virus or malware if you take chances in what you download or the web sites you visit. Each person takes on that risk and understanding that is the key.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
The best working antivirus program for windows 10 RTM in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
What is the best working antivrius program to windows 10 rtm???
Which free antivirus will you prefer to use with win 10? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
What will be the right choice of a free antivirus with the new OS? The inbuilt Defender? Or long time trusted Avast? Or Avira? Or anything else? Have you guys tested any free antivirus yet? Let us know ... share your experience with us.
Solved Do I need antivirus? in Virtualization
From my question you will doubtless realize I'm new to virtual machines. I've just installed VMWare Player and W10 TP. On my host system I have Emsisoft Internet Security running. I have no idea whether this will also protect my VM setup or if...
Think your free antivirus is safe to use? ... think again in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
New study shows that most free antivirus venders push crapware and pups in their installs... Has The Antivirus Industry Gone Mad? | Emsisoft Blog
Read more: Free antivirus scanners for Windows PCs | ZDNet

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:42.
Find Us