Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    17 Jan 2016 #11
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 7
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    I ran chkdsk but still no resolution.
    I also ran farbar per another forums suggestion.
    C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\volsnap.sys IS MISSING <==== ATTENTION
    C:\Windows\System32\codeintegrity\Bootcat.cache IS MISSING <==== ATTENTION
    being the root of my problem and from microsoft support bootcat.cache needs to be deleted.
    how would i go about doing that in command prompt?


    edit: after navigating to C:\ cd windows\system32\codeintegrity
    "del bootcat.cache" bootcat.cache could not be found.


    any solution besides factory reset?
    Last edited by socksnatcher; 17 Jan 2016 at 18:10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    18 Jan 2016 #12
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 12,968
    Windows 10 Pro

    An inplace upgrade might help, keeps your files and stuff and only removes the updates from Windows Update.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    18 Jan 2016 #13
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 7
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by axe0 View Post
    An inplace upgrade might help, keeps your files and stuff and only removes the updates from Windows Update.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

    tried it but it hangs @ 1% and then shows that the task could not be finished. most likely at this point ill back up my files via cmd/notepad and do a factory reset. thanks all for your help
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    09 Mar 2017 #14
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 1
    Windows

    I know this is an old thread but for anyone with similar problems one possibility is that Avast may have quarantined some files required for booting, possibly because of a virus at some time. When you uninstalled Avast, it removed the quarantine files as well. If simpler approaches fail, in the Advanced Boot menu, try a Startup Repair.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    08 Apr 2017 #15
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 1
    windows 10

    I am having this very same issure
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    10 Aug 2017 #16
    Join Date : Aug 2017
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Hi. I uninstalled Avast, Installed AVG, ordered the computer to restart, and now it cannot boot. None of the Windows 10 recovery options work. I'm now on the Windows PE found in this thread:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

    I did a scan using FRST. Here are the results:

    FRST.txt

    It's definitely one of the antivirus programs. Judging from what people are saying on the Internet, it's probably the uninstalling of Avast that did it. If I can find the specific corrupted or missing files and restore them without having to reinstall Windows that would be great. (I didn't make a recovery disk and now that I can't boot I don't know if it's possible to run the media creation tool from Windows PE). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by daarklord; 10 Aug 2017 at 02:32.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    10 Aug 2017 #17
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 13,001
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by daarklord View Post
    Hi. I uninstalled Avast, Installed AVG, ordered the computer to restart, and now it cannot boot. None of the Windows 10 recovery options work. I'm now on the Windows PE found in this thread:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

    I did a scan using FRST. Here are the results:

    FRST.txt

    It's definitely one of the antivirus programs. Judging from what people are saying on the Internet, it's probably the uninstalling of Avast that did it. If I can find the specific corrupted or missing files and restore them without having to reinstall Windows that would be great. (I didn't make a recovery disk and now that I can't boot I don't know if it's possible to run the media creation tool from Windows PE). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Hi daarklord and welcome to Tenforums.

    Have a look at this thread:
    bsod - Is there any solution to Process1_Initialization_Failed on Windows 7? - Super User

    Perhaps this will help:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	148185

    Or, the answer by Derek McNelly.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	148184

    I realize this refers to W7, but the process would be the same. Not sure if you want to go through this much effort though. A repair install might be best.

    AVs get so deep into the system that, when they mess something up, they mess it up big time. Again, a repair install is probably best.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    12 Aug 2017 #18
    Join Date : Aug 2017
    Posts : 2
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Hi daarklord and welcome to Tenforums.

    Have a look at this thread:
    bsod - Is there any solution to Process1_Initialization_Failed on Windows 7? - Super User

    Perhaps this will help:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	148185

    Or, the answer by Derek McNelly.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	148184

    I realize this refers to W7, but the process would be the same. Not sure if you want to go through this much effort though. A repair install might be best.

    AVs get so deep into the system that, when they mess something up, they mess it up big time. Again, a repair install is probably best.
    Thanks simrick. I went with a complete reinstall after all. My IT expert friend said a repair install is just like a reinstall but you get an auto-generated HTML page that lists what programs were removed and have to be reinstalled, which isn't all the much better. Same in your experience? Either way here I am with a noticeably faster new Windows 10, reinstalling my drivers.

    I'm going to stick with Windows Defender for now. Suffering from PTSD about installing an anti-virus.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    13 Aug 2017 #19
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 13,001
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by daarklord View Post
    Thanks simrick. I went with a complete reinstall after all. My IT expert friend said a repair install is just like a reinstall but you get an auto-generated HTML page that lists what programs were removed and have to be reinstalled, which isn't all the much better. Same in your experience? Either way here I am with a noticeably faster new Windows 10, reinstalling my drivers.

    I'm going to stick with Windows Defender for now. Suffering from PTSD about installing an anti-virus.
    Hi,
    A RESET will get you a list of removed programs. A Repair Install is different, and maintains your programs.
    But, you're good with a clean install, so glad all is well. Cheers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    18 Aug 2017 #20
    Join Date : Aug 2017
    Posts : 1
    Windows 10

    I will be brief. Understanding this is an old thread. Avast caused nothing but problems for me. I wrote Avast. As usual, "It's not us so it must be you". Between blocking and blocking sites and programs, causing Start up problems galore, repeatedly stopping the stream in a room as I entered .... I'd had it. Uninstalled it. After 3rd uninstall the WD 1TB (less than a year old) would not boot into Windows. Wouldn't let me re-install Windows. Made the whole drive useless. If I were you right now, I'd do what I finally did. Get MalwareBytes and thank God you won't have to deal with Avast again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Latest version of Avast Antivirus
Latest Version of Avast Antivirus Released WHQL Version: 17.7.2314 (free version) Release Date: October 4th 2017 Release Notes What's new:
AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
Windows 10 in automatic repair loop since uninstalling avast
Hi All, Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I upgraded my desktop pc from windows 7 to windows 10 a few weeks ago. not ha any issues but turned it on this morning and it said 'start menu and Cortana aren't working'. Googled this issue...
General Support
Fake Avast! Antivirus vs Windows XP and Windows 10
Windows 10 actually fared much better than XP, although it was still rendered unbootable. That's why we have User Account Control, for the UAC haters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKAkwk9iJNg
Chillout Room
Uninstalling Windows apps
Hello guys, how can I uninstall all these apps I don't need? The tutorial Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums is not working. As the folder of the app actually remains.
Software and Apps
Uninstalling Windows Media Player
Since I rarely use Windows Media Player these days after they changed things in Windows 8, is it worth actually uninstalling it or will that cause some problems because some facilities are tied to the software?
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:27.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums