Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    14 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 4
    windows 10

    HELP! Have I just been scammed??


    Last night I got an alarm that said "Windows Immediate Action Alert & Alarm" complete with warning sounds. It said I needed to call 877.242.8595 immediately to work through this issue. My computer was acting up all day, screen turning milky white, freezing up, I couldn't get much done.

    Long story short, after 2.5 hours of them working inside my computer, I paid $210 for 5 years of Norton and 1 yr of tech support from them. Today, I'm having second thoughts but the computer does work nicely.

    American Express (which they didn't want to take but I insisted) said they seem to be legitimate according to PCWorld.
    The name of the company is WebWareWorld, Inc. 8800 167th Place, Orland Hills, Ill. 60847

    Has anyone ever had this happen? Should I shut my life down and start over from scratch? New credit cards? New bank cards? New passwords?

    Why doesn't Microsoft step in to help people?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,588
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeC View Post
    Last night I got an alarm that said "Windows Immediate Action Alert & Alarm" complete with warning sounds. It said I needed to call 877.242.8595 immediately to work through this issue. My computer was acting up all day, screen turning milky white, freezing up, I couldn't get much done.

    Long story short, after 2.5 hours of them working inside my computer, I paid $210 for 5 years of Norton and 1 yr of tech support from them. Today, I'm having second thoughts but the computer does work nicely.

    American Express (which they didn't want to take but I insisted) said they seem to be legitimate according to PCWorld.
    The name of the company is WebWareWorld, Inc. 8800 167th Place, Orland Hills, Ill. 60847

    Has anyone ever had this happen? Should I shut my life down and start over from scratch? New credit cards? New bank cards? New passwords?

    Why doesn't Microsoft step in to help people?
    Hi DeeC and welcome to Tenforums.

    That's not a good story.

    Want a chance to scam a scammer? Call 877-242-8595 or 800-239-0148 - YouTube

    Please read this post:
    Solved Scammers Exploit Windows 10 Upgrade Rollout-What You Need to Know - Windows 10 Forums

    If they've been in your computer, you can assume they had/have access to everything.

    EDIT: Please run an ESET Online Scan to see if there are any nasties left in your system from them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    14 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Easy rule of thumb: Whenever they want money or access to your computer, hang up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeC View Post
    Last night I got an alarm that said "Windows Immediate Action Alert & Alarm" complete with warning sounds. It said I needed to call 877.242.8595 immediately to work through this issue. My computer was acting up all day, screen turning milky white, freezing up, I couldn't get much done.

    Long story short, after 2.5 hours of them working inside my computer, I paid $210 for 5 years of Norton and 1 yr of tech support from them. Today, I'm having second thoughts but the computer does work nicely.

    American Express (which they didn't want to take but I insisted) said they seem to be legitimate according to PCWorld.
    The name of the company is WebWareWorld, Inc. 8800 167th Place, Orland Hills, Ill. 60847

    Has anyone ever had this happen? Should I shut my life down and start over from scratch? New credit cards? New bank cards? New passwords?

    Why doesn't Microsoft step in to help people?
    Contact American Express and get help from them. And this is not a MS problem to solve. You have to take the bull by the horns and contact the credit card company.. NOW!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,663
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Easy rule of thumb: Whenever they want money or access to your computer, hang up.
    Excellent piece of advice, should be carved in the stone. Hang up when they ask money or access to your PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Excellent piece of advice, should be carved in the stone. Hang up when they ask money or access to your PC.
    It sounds from the description in the OP that some malware got into his PC and that's how he got the message to call that number. Just a bad situation and calling the credit card company is the only thing he can do to attempt to block the payment and get a new number issued to him.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    It sounds from the description in the OP that some malware got into his PC and that's how he got the message to call that number. Just a bad situation and calling the credit card company is the only thing he can do to attempt to block the payment and get a new number issued to him.
    Bunny, that is certainly good advice. But he should not have gotten into this tight spot in the first place. Therefore my rule - malware or not. There are always procedures to get rid of the malware.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 Jan 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Bunny, that is certainly good advice. But he should not have gotten into this tight spot in the first place. Therefore my rule - malware or not. There are always procedures to get rid of the malware.
    I totally agree and that's the reason I'm so happy I have a great shop in town. If all else fails I take my PC there and let them fix any issues I can't.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 Jan 2016 #9
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Philadelphia
    Posts : 1,172
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    How exactly would you expect Microsoft to step in an help? You fell for the oldest tech scam in the book, so i can understand being angry and even embarrassed, but Microsoft is not to blame for this, nor are they responsible for stopping you.

    I will never understand the rationale behind giving out financial information and allowing access to your computer to complete strangers, rather than asking help of someone you trust.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 Jan 2016 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I totally agree and that's the reason I'm so happy I have a great shop in town. If all else fails I take my PC there and let them fix any issues I can't.
    I doubt that there are situations that you cannot handle yourself. And then there is still this forum that can help. I never asked anybody to bail me out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:36.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums