Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    04 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 137
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10

    Farbar


    Hello,
    I am having problems on my wife's computer in that MBAM takes all the CPU and most of the memory at times. After trying to fix it, I finally had to remove it. I am also running NIS 2015.
    On the MBAM forum it is advised to use a program called FSRT.exe downloaded from bleeping computers. When I tried this NIS prevented it from downloading and deleted it. I was advised to disable NIS and download it, which I did. At this time Windows Smartscreen advised not to run it as it was malware. I ran SuperAntispyware after downloading another copy and it deleted it. Tried again and Hitmanpro stated it was suspicious and deleted it. When I finally tried to run it, it pops up a window with a warning that the program is used "as is" and at own risk. It is unsigned or certified.
    I am very wary about using it. I've been told it has been used frequently and is a necessary part of the MBAM troubleshooting process.
    I am in a quandary as I don't believe everything I am told on the internet .
    Any advise gratefully appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 824
    Win10/64 Pro 1511 (and 2 Win 7/64 Ult & Pro systems)

    Hi, again:

    FRST is a safe, non-invasive scanning tool that has been downloaded nearly 2 million times from its host site.

    Please see here and here (and here).

    It is a FALSE POSITIVE for Norton to detect FRST as malicious.
    It is not uncommon for it to do so, as the AVs don't bother to whitelist it or many of the other, commonly used security and diagnostic scanners.

    Thank you,
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    04 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 137
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by MoxieMomma View Post
    Hi, again:

    FRST is a safe, non-invasive scanning tool that has been downloaded nearly 2 million times from its host site.

    Please see here and here (and here).

    It is a FALSE POSITIVE for Norton to detect FRST as malicious.
    It is not uncommon for it to do so, as the AVs don't bother to whitelist it or many of the other, commonly used security and diagnostic scanners.

    Thank you,
    Hey there MM,
    I certainly appreciate your time and effort. It is just that with so many AV's listing it as malware or warning against it's use, I would think that the author or MBAM would do something to bring it into a more mainstream certified and signed state. To a point where the program itself doesn't have to warn you that you are taking all risks in your own hands and not theirs.
    Hoping to get more of a consensus on it's use and safety!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    04 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 824
    Win10/64 Pro 1511 (and 2 Win 7/64 Ult & Pro systems)

    Hi:

    As I mentioned in your thread at MBAM forum, a bit of skepticism is healthy.

    But Norton is notorious for false-positive detections on harmless tools.
    See here
    And we are just going around in circles.

    For the record, even though @farbar is an expert at Malwarebytes forum, the FRST tool itself is not a "malwarebytes" tool.
    So, they do not "sign" it or host it.

    Alas, support is a two-way endeavor.
    Both @AdvancedSetup (our forum root Admin with > 30 years of computer support experience) and I have tried to assist you.
    We have more than 80,000 posts between us at the MBAM forum.
    But we are not magicians.
    There is no way to know why MBAM is causing issues on your wife's laptop without a tiny smidgen of basic system information provided by the FRST tool.
    Assuming the computer is neither damaged nor infected, we probably could have resolved the issue days and days ago.

    If you are not comfortable running FRST, then I suggested a number of support alternatives here, including a proper clean reinstall with mutual exclusions and opening a ticket at the MBAM Help Desk.

    I've taken up enough of your time and mine over the past week, and we are still at the same point we were at the very start. So I will now turn this over to other forum members for help.

    I'm sorry I could not resolve your issues.

    Good luck and take care,

    MM
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    04 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 137
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by MoxieMomma View Post
    Hi:

    As I mentioned in your thread at MBAM forum, a bit of skepticism is healthy.

    But Norton is notorious for false-positive detections on harmless tools.
    See here
    And we are just going around in circles.

    For the record, even though @farbar is an expert at Malwarebytes forum, the FRST tool itself is not a "malwarebytes" tool.
    So, they do not "sign" it or host it.

    Alas, support is a two-way endeavor.
    Both @AdvancedSetup (our forum root Admin with > 30 years of computer support experience) and I have tried to assist you.
    We have more than 80,000 posts between us at the MBAM forum.
    But we are not magicians.
    There is no way to know why MBAM is causing issues on your wife's laptop without a tiny smidgen of basic system information provided by the FRST tool.
    Assuming the computer is neither damaged nor infected, we probably could have resolved the issue days and days ago.

    If you are not comfortable running FRST, then I suggested a number of support alternatives here, including a proper clean reinstall with mutual exclusions and opening a ticket at the MBAM Help Desk.

    I've taken up enough of your time and mine over the past week, and we are still at the same point we were at the very start. So I will now turn this over to other forum members for help.

    I'm sorry I could not resolve your issues.

    Good luck and take care,

    MM
    As noted, it seems as if this is such a well used program and a necessary adjunct to troubleshoot a paid product, there would be more effort to stop numerous AV and malware programs as reputedly mislabeling it. Hitmanpro uses quite a number of different av scanners and it also came back in the negative. As posted several times, NIS is not the only program to question FRST.
    I did start a support ticket and did use the MBAM tool and sent it's log.
    I am sorry that circumstances could not let me accept your assistance.
    Good Luck to you also!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    05 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 137
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Does anyone have experience with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool? Again looking to this forum for it's wealth of wisdom and experience.
    It seems as if this may be the only way I can attempt to troubleshoot Malwarebytes Anti-malware problem that completely freezes up my wife's computer.
    Help!?!!?
    glennc
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    05 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 196
    Win 7 8 and 10

    My advice is to go back to the mbam forums and disable Norton and run FRST. It is not a virus or malicious in any way.

    This is the current Virus Total scan of the tool
    the first 2 results are from companys that dont count.
    https://www.virustotal.com/ro/file/d...is/1452033371/

    The tool uses auto it to process and a lot of tools block Auto It because I can be used maliciously But FRST is NOT going to harm your computer.

    I work on computers for a living also and have been using it for a long time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    05 Jan 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 137
    Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    My advice is to go back to the mbam forums and disable Norton and run FRST. It is not a virus or malicious in any way.

    This is the current Virus Total scan of the tool
    the first 2 results are from companys that dont count.
    https://www.virustotal.com/ro/file/d...is/1452033371/

    The tool uses auto it to process and a lot of tools block Auto It because I can be used maliciously But FRST is NOT going to harm your computer.

    I work on computers for a living also and have been using it for a long time.
    Hello Porthos,
    Thank you very much for the information. Strangely both Symantec and SuperAntispyware flagged and deleted the program, even though they are listed on that Virus Total Page, also Hitman Pro called it suspicious. It was these things and the fact that no other than yourself would attempt to say more than go ahead and use it "it's safe".
    Much appreciated
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    05 Jan 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    N.Y.
    Posts : 3,069
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

    Assuming reasons MBAM telling you to download and use this software from reading about it, you would either have network connectivity issues, corrupted or missing windows files or services, possible Malware and creates a log. So far you used NIS, SuperAntiSpyware, MBAM and they have not found any Malware. Just trying to figure the exact reasons of this tool they told you to use, not stated here. If Windows is corrupt run a System file checker.


    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...rvice-scanner/
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    05 Jan 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 196
    Win 7 8 and 10

    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Assuming reasons MBAM telling you to download and use this software from reading about it, you would either have network connectivity issues, corrupted or missing windows files or services, possible Malware and creates a log. So far you used NIS, SuperAntiSpyware, MBAM and they have not found any Malware. Just trying to figure the exact reasons of this tool they told you to use, not stated here. If Windows is corrupt run a System file checker.





    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...rvice-scanner/
    The service scanner is a different tool and is not what is being requested.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums