Windows 10: BitDefender Or Malware Bytes ?
BitDefender Or Malware Bytes ?
Brand new W10 user.
a. Is it true that if you use a third party ant-virus program, the one MS provides with W10 (Called Defender ?)
is automatically turned off ?
If so, any workaround ? The paid third party ones so much better, that losing the MS is worth it ?
b. Picking a paid program/package is worse than buying a new car.
Have more or less narrowed it down to the paid versions of BitDefender, or perhaps MalwareBytes ?
Any thoughts on ? Very concerned about the Crypto/CBT Blocker stuff, in particular, which really did a number on me with old PC.
c. Would either of these still work with AVG free ?
Should I dump AVG if I get the paid version of one of the two I just mentioned ?
To answer your points:
A. Yes - you can only run 1 AV at a time
B. Malwarebytes is Anti-Malware made to compliment an AV, not replace.
Whatever you choose, there is no harm in adding Malwarebytes as well for extra protection/peace of mind.
C. Malwarebytes will work with AVG and other AV's.
Yes, @garydexter is correct.
Most 3rd-party AVs will automatically disable Windows Defender (WD) on Win10 when they install.
In some cases, though, with certain AVs, such as KAV/KIS/KTS, it's important to verify that WD is fully disabled BEFORE installing, as mentioned here. So, it depends on the particular AV.
He is also correct about MBAM.
- MBAM is not an anti-virus (AV) and does not replace or substitute for one (it is designed to provide complementary, layered protection alongside an AV, against certain zero-hour and zero-day threats not covered by the AVs).
- Yes, MBAM Premium should run just fine alongside all of the popular AVs. But each computer is unique, so one cannot predict with 100% certainty. Rare, minor glitches are typically easily resolved by setting mutual exclusions between MBAM and the AV, or other tweaks.
- MBAM Free does NOT provide any realtime protection -- it is only a manual, on-demand scanner that REMOVES malware that has already made it past your AV onto the system
- If you want real-time anti-malware protection to help PREVENT infection, you would need to purchase a license for MBAM Premium.
- But, even with MBAM Premium, you still need a robust, realtime AV.
- An additional layer can be provided by anti-exploit software, such as Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. While MBAM and your AV protect against the "what" of malware, MBAE protects against the "how", by shielding vulnerable, internet-facing applications.
As far as the "best" AV, there is no such thing to suit all computers, all users and all budgets.
Each product has advantages/disadvantages and fans/detractors.
10 computer users will offer at least 11 passionate opinions on the subject.
The important point is to have ONLY 1 antivirus installed and running.
Having multiple antivirus programs installed (even if they are not running) can create problems.
So, extra 3rd-party AVs (and all of their leftovers, especially drivers) should be cleanly uninstalled, using the vendor's removal tool, if available. And, if you choose a 3rd-party antivirus, WD should be fully disabled, for the same reason.
For comprehensive, authoritative discussion about all aspects of personal computer security, including AV selection, you might wish to check out these excellent and detailed pinned topics at a reputable computer forum: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices
I have tried installing Bitdefender total security 2014 from both disk and from there website. It does not seem to want to work yet.
does anyone have the same problem?
i shall continue using malwarebytes which i shall buy full next year after...
I have determined that my Bitdefender Total Security 2015's firewall blocks features of the Xbox App, namely the party chat. Is there a way I can fix it?
So, i've had windows 10 since the beta. I recently got 2 new 1tb hard drives. I was originally using one to store my files, as I have a 120gb SSD as a boot drive, and don't have enough space to store my 500+ gigs of games, after effects files and...
LOL I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS GOING TO BITDEFENDER RESCUE MODE TO SEE HOW IT WOULD LOOK THEN IT WAS NOT GOING TO RESCUE MODE IT WAS JUST STUCK ON A BLACK SCREEN
SRSLY I HAD TO PRESS FORCE RESTART 5-10 TIMES FOR IT JUST TO REBOOT
BUT THEN I GOT...
Bitdefender Windows 8 Security installed and running fine in b9879; fully recognized in Security & Maintenance.
Custom user profile, everything cranked up to aggressive, paranoid, notify/ask.
I'll try something else when this trial expires -...