When does Windows Defender scan?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. LittleJay's Avatar
    Posts : 9,647
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       #11

    This only goes to show one more time that WE are our best AV along with keeping a mirror of our system as I see you so wisely do.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit
       #12

    HippsieGypsie said:
    Let’s see > You “ran Defender Quick scan”, But “Ran MBAM” full scan? Which then found the culprits? Why didn’t you run Defender full scan? Another thing > Does Chrome have SmartScreen Filter? IE is important in that area.

    I’ve had two instances of a virus since using Defender in its infancy way back in early W7 when they introduced MSE. I never thought or think today that any AV is 100% effective, but I’ll put Defender up against any AV product. What AV is 100% that it does catch everything? When you can answer that let me know.

    Like I stated > A lot of life is trial and error. I’ll bet you don’t download from that site again. Obviously they can’t be trusted. I wouldn’t trust any of those file sharing sites. In fact I was in an 8F member’s site yesterday looking for a free small utility for my 10 that he introduced for 8.x, although I had the install of it on my 8.1 partition. I was curious to see how he was doing with his site. It grew in the past year and a half with all sorts of software and what I would consider to be some malware. As soon as it directed me to another page flashing “Download this” and “Download that” I was immediately out of there. I went into my 8.1 partition to get the utility.

    This only goes to show one more time that WE are our best AV along with keeping a mirror of our system as I see you so wisely do.

    BTW, Welcome to Windows TenForums. Enjoy your stay. :)
    Knowing how long it takes for a full scan which "might" fix the problem, I chose to restore a backup. Yes, Chrome has a phishing/malware option which was ON. I forgot to mention that IE was infected as well.

    That's interesting! I was going to provide a link to the file at DEV-Host but when a Google search found it, got a 404 error at the site. Searched again and it didn't come up, no way. Okay, the whole site is down right now. Maybe I can provide a link for you later.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 5,834
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #13

    wptski said:
    Knowing how long it takes for a full scan which "might" fix the problem, I chose to restore a backup.
    Probably the wise thing to do. Now you know what you have. It wouldn’t matter what AV is used, one is never really sure if something is left behind. It’s like buying a used car. One is never really 100% sure of what they have.

    That's interesting! I was going to provide a link to the file at DEV-Host but when a Google search found it, got a 404 error at the site. Searched again and it didn't come up, no way.
    Perhaps the site got a virus.

    Thanks anyway. You need not bother. I wouldn’t open the site if you paid me to.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit
       #14

    HippsieGypsie said:
    Probably the wise thing to do. Now you know what you have. It wouldn’t matter what AV is used, one is never really sure if something is left behind. It’s like buying a used car. One is never really 100% sure of what they have.

    Perhaps the site got a virus.

    Thanks anyway. You need not bother. I wouldn’t open the site if you paid me to.
    Oh, c'mon! Don't you want to see if Defender can find the bad guy?
      My Computer

  5. Layback Bear's Avatar
    Posts : 983
    Windows 7/64 Professional
       #15

    If one uses sites like Dev-Host it would be a safe bet that problems will arise.
    How does one know what they are getting until it's to late.

    The reason bad things slip in is simple; the user gave permission for file xxx to be downloaded from the file sharing site.
    As far as your security programs are concerned you over rid them. Or the bad things came in pieces parts and were not recognized as bad things until they were assemble together when they were installed.

    In my opinion getting Microsoft anything from sites other than Microsoft authorized sites is risky at best.
    Kind of just like Adobe. Your best bet is always get Adobe from Adobe.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 5,834
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro
       #16

    Layback Bear said:
    If one uses sites like Dev-Host it would be a safe bet that problems will arise.
    How does one know what they are getting until it's to late.

    The reason bad things slip in is simple; the user gave permission for file xxx to be downloaded from the file sharing site.
    As far as your security programs are concerned you over rid them. Or the bad things came in pieces parts and were not recognized as bad things until they were assemble together when they were installed.

    In my opinion getting Microsoft anything from sites other than Microsoft authorized sites is risky at best.
    Kind of just like Adobe. Your best bet is always get Adobe from Adobe.
    Very well stated, Layback Bear.


    wptski said:
    Yes, Chrome has a phishing/malware option which was ON.
    BTW, it doesn’t look like Chrome was cutting the mustard either.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit
       #17

    Layback Bear said:
    If one uses sites like Dev-Host it would be a safe bet that problems will arise.
    How does one know what they are getting until it's to late.

    The reason bad things slip in is simple; the user gave permission for file xxx to be downloaded from the file sharing site.
    As far as your security programs are concerned you over rid them. Or the bad things came in pieces parts and were not recognized as bad things until they were assemble together when they were installed.

    In my opinion getting Microsoft anything from sites other than Microsoft authorized sites is risky at best.
    Kind of just like Adobe. Your best bet is always get Adobe from Adobe.
    That's true but most young budding developers don't own servers so they store their work at sites like that. You really limit yourself if you stick to your way of thinking. Like I mentioned earlier I downloaded lots of files fro Dev-Host for my old Dell Streak 7 tablet and those were moved there from another server used by the developer. Of course, not too much if any malware for Android but it's installed from a PC.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums