Windows 10: Defender effectiveness Solved

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 615
    Windows 10 Enterprise x64 (build 10586)
       20 Nov 2015 #21

    DeaconFrost said: View Post
    It helps, in some ways, to read all the reviews and comparisons, but for me it comes down to one point. If Defender was a full-feature, adequate AV software on it's own, the others would sue Microsoft. That's why we have to pay for a DVD software app. Anytime Microsoft tries to put in a feature that other companies provide, they get sued.

    I'm not saying you need to pay for software, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using just Defender.
    You don't need to pay for an antivirus. Many free antiviruses provide features that Defender doesn't.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 120
    Windows 10 (duh)
       20 Nov 2015 #22

    garydexter said: View Post
    Yes - look at all those lovely sponsored "non-biased" test results....

    Defender is fine, along with Malwarebytes and that sponge in your skull...
    Sry, but this right here is borderline idiotic.

    Sure those particular "reviews" are sponsored, no contest there. But then you go on talking about Malwarebytes - the most aggressive (and genius) marketing campaign for the longest time now (years), that actually made a select few "independent" internet guru's rich already. Don't get me wrong, is good, and not because of it's joke malware analysis laboratory, but because it's reusing knowledge from the big guys, who actually invest a lot more in research than in marketing, and have hundreds of people working day and night to detect and neutralize threats.

    No sponge in the skull can ever protect against software vulnerabilities that are found each day, every day.
    Those are the real threats - stuff that can screw you without your knowledge, without you clicking a huge lame download button next to the tiny real one, without you (un)ticking a bundled offer checkbox.
    And against those real threats, there is where Defender absolutely sucks ass, proven time and time again as being the baseline in effectiveness i.e. just a little better than no protection at all. Microsoft only cares about distributed attacks that your PC might be used in. Does not give two shits on your personal data or banking credentials.

    You have been fine for so long, so Defender must be really good? WRONG!
    It's just that you must be a very lucky and/or uninteresting dude. 3rd world country? Uninteresting. No corporate lan? Uninteresting. No vpn usage into work place? Uninteresting. No frequent internet banking? Uninteresting. Not famous/army/government/giant corp employed? Uninteresting. No supercomputer? Uninteresting. Not even having big tits? Really uninteresting.

    And when you add to that the horrible performance hits (really unforgivable, at the end of 2015, you still have to add game folders to multiple Defender exclusion lists so you don't get weird stutters) is there any excuse to use it other than fear of change and/or blind trust and/or "if it works, why break it"?

    But then, please keep it to yourself, and leave recommendations to more informed people.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    20 Nov 2015 #23

    AveYo said: View Post
    Sry, but this right here is borderline idiotic.

    Sure those particular "reviews" are sponsored, no contest there. But then you go on talking about Malwarebytes - the most aggressive (and genius) marketing campaign for the longest time now (years), that actually made a select few "independent" internet guru's rich already. Don't get me wrong, is good, and not because of it's joke malware analysis laboratory, but because it's reusing knowledge from the big guys, who actually invest a lot more in research than in marketing, and have hundreds of people working day and night to detect and neutralize threats.

    No sponge in the skull can ever protect against software vulnerabilities that are found each day, every day.
    Those are the real threats - stuff that can screw you without your knowledge, without you clicking a huge lame download button next to the tiny real one, without you (un)ticking a bundled offer checkbox.
    And against those real threats, there is where Defender absolutely sucks ass, proven time and time again as being the baseline in effectiveness i.e. just a little better than no protection at all. Microsoft only cares about distributed attacks that your PC might be used in. Does not give two shits on your personal data or banking credentials.

    You have been fine for so long, so Defender must be really good? WRONG!
    It's just that you must be a very lucky and/or uninteresting dude. 3rd world country? Uninteresting. No corporate lan? Uninteresting. No vpn usage into work place? Uninteresting. No frequent internet banking? Uninteresting. Not famous/army/government/giant corp employed? Uninteresting. No supercomputer? Uninteresting. Not even having big tits? Really uninteresting.

    And when you add to that the horrible performance hits (really unforgivable, at the end of 2015, you still have to add game folders to multiple Defender exclusion lists so you don't get weird stutters) is there any excuse to use it other than fear of change and/or blind trust and/or "if it works, why break it"?

    But then, please keep it to yourself, and leave recommendations to more informed people.
    Funny thing is that I've just used Defender for years and not had a single virus. And I bet many others are just using Defender without getting viruses. The best AV is the one between your ears.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 120
    Windows 10 (duh)
       20 Nov 2015 #24

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Funny thing is that I've just used Defender for years and not had a single virus. And I bet many others are just using Defender without getting viruses. The best AV is the one between your ears.
    First, you should not quote posts you did not even bother to read.
    Second, I am just gonna directly add to ignore list any one using the between your ears line from now on.
    It's the ****ing end of 2015, when security patches drops like rain every day, on everything from internet browsers, flash player, pdf, tiff, office, silverlight and other plugins, windows services, windows authentication and every other major software that counts. Those security patches can't keep up with the armies of script kiddies using exploits to bring down even sizable infrastructures. Overall, software developers are getting dumber, and the hackers smarter. It's not about what you can do with your own hands, it's about what they can do without you even knowing. Look at Microsoft, forced to almost give-away Windows 10 just to fight it. And taking control away from automatic updates.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    20 Nov 2015 #25

    AveYo said: View Post
    First, you should not quote posts you did not even bother to read.
    Second, I am just gonna directly add to ignore list any one using the between your ears line from now on.
    It's the ****ing end of 2015, when security patches drops like rain every day, on everything from internet browsers, flash player, pdf, tiff, office, silverlight and other plugins, windows services, windows authentication and every other major software that counts. Those security patches can't keep up with the armies of script kiddies using exploits to bring down even sizable infrastructures. Overall, software developers are getting dumber, and the hackers smarter. It's not about what you can do with your own hands, it's about what they can do without you even knowing. Look at Microsoft, forced to almost give-away Windows 10 just to fight it. And taking control away from automatic updates.
    You really don't need to swear to prove a point.. do you?? And I read that post of yours and I'll state that I've used defender for years without encountering a single virus.

    But, you can do what you like with your PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 Nov 2015 #26

    Anyone here give SecureAplus a try? I like their application whitelisting mechanism and they claim to scan your files using many online AV engines. The only ding I see is their optional offline AV engine is ClamAV, which I would take Windows Defender over. You can choose not to install the offline AV component and install the AV of your choice alongside it.

    Some individuals over @ Neowin rave about it, so I may give it a go.

    SecureAPlus - Download Free 10+ Anti-Virus & App Whitelisting in One
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    23 Nov 2015 #27

    AveYo said: View Post
    Sry, but this right here is borderline idiotic.

    Sure those particular "reviews" are sponsored, no contest there. But then you go on talking about Malwarebytes - the most aggressive (and genius) marketing campaign for the longest time now (years), that actually made a select few "independent" internet guru's rich already. Don't get me wrong, is good, and not because of it's joke malware analysis laboratory, but because it's reusing knowledge from the big guys, who actually invest a lot more in research than in marketing, and have hundreds of people working day and night to detect and neutralize threats.

    No sponge in the skull can ever protect against software vulnerabilities that are found each day, every day.
    Those are the real threats - stuff that can screw you without your knowledge, without you clicking a huge lame download button next to the tiny real one, without you (un)ticking a bundled offer checkbox.
    And against those real threats, there is where Defender absolutely sucks ass, proven time and time again as being the baseline in effectiveness i.e. just a little better than no protection at all. Microsoft only cares about distributed attacks that your PC might be used in. Does not give two shits on your personal data or banking credentials.

    You have been fine for so long, so Defender must be really good? WRONG!
    It's just that you must be a very lucky and/or uninteresting dude. 3rd world country? Uninteresting. No corporate lan? Uninteresting. No vpn usage into work place? Uninteresting. No frequent internet banking? Uninteresting. Not famous/army/government/giant corp employed? Uninteresting. No supercomputer? Uninteresting. Not even having big tits? Really uninteresting.

    And when you add to that the horrible performance hits (really unforgivable, at the end of 2015, you still have to add game folders to multiple Defender exclusion lists so you don't get weird stutters) is there any excuse to use it other than fear of change and/or blind trust and/or "if it works, why break it"?

    But then, please keep it to yourself, and leave recommendations to more informed people.
    I'm not really sure how to take your post - but now I see that your User is banned - it makes perfect sense now...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    23 Nov 2015 #28

    You said: View Post
    You don't need to pay for an antivirus. Many free antiviruses provide features that Defender doesn't.
    I think you misread my post. I never said you need to pay for AV software.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    23 Nov 2015 #29

    I recommend Bitdefender Free edition. Light, stays out of the way.

    Free Antivirus Software - Download Bitdefender Antivirus Free
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    23 Nov 2015 #30

    Does Bitdefender support W10 now?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I have disabled windows defender as i have GData inernet security . But windows is still trying to install updates Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.203.1973.0) - Error 0x80070643 Is their any way to stop this.
Solved Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I recently upgraded to Windows 10. I have Eset as my antivirus software and also Malwarebytes Antimalware running. My Windows defender is forced off. My question is, " Is there any way I can turn Defender on and run with both these programs?" And...
Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I have MCAfee security suite through Windstream. It has good spyware protection, but it don't protect against malware. I thought I would try Windows Defender because it does both, but I don't know how to turn off the MCAfee spyware part and turn on...
Do I need Defender? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I have the pro version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware + Microsoft Security Essentials. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is on & monitoring. Do I need Defender? I keep getting this window on login. 27138
Windows 10 Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
With Windows 10 about to be released, I'm considering upgrading from Windows 7 which I currently protect with a version Norton Internet Security compatible with Windows 7 but not 10. I'm not too keen on the later build of NIS & can extend my...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:19.
Find Us