Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    18 Oct 2015 #11
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,582
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by Victek View Post
    That's very good.
    It just makes me wonder, if these scammers still somehow may have access to your system....if it were my computer, I'd be clean installing just to be sure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    18 Oct 2015 #12
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 220
    Windows 10 x64

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    It just makes me wonder, if these scammers still somehow may have access to your system....if it were my computer, I'd be clean installing just to be sure.
    Yes, it's important to check for a TightVNC type remote access program set to autostart at boot. That was the case on one of the cleanups I did. In my experience the scammers don't work very hard because they know the people they are taking advantage of don't have skills.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    18 Oct 2015 #13
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,055
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by Victek View Post
    This looks like what you're dealing with. Try booting with a Windows installation disk to access System Restore. If you have a restore point from before the lock was set rolling back should take care of it.

    SOLUTION: Louisville, KY computer repair specialist


    The same thing as suggested above (post #6)
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    19 Oct 2015 #14
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 5
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks to all for the help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    19 Oct 2015 #15
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,231
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by jamiessimpson View Post
    Thanks to all for the help.
    Did you get it fixed? If so, what was it that fixed it?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    19 Oct 2015 #16
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 5
    windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
    Did you get it fixed? If so, what was it that fixed it?
    The ,Ubunta boot USP worked, totally cleaned Windows off the computer and uploaded its systems, but i am having trouble reloading windows 10 OSI because of portions, but it is OK for now the expensive computer is OK he is using internet, Email, etc. I need to ask, this started 5 yrs ago when he call a Co. called 24/7 tech support and what ever the problem was they fixed. Then 5 days ago someone called him clamming to be 24/7 and said they were working with Microsoft and there costumers to repair a problem with windows 10, because, he had used them, he let his guard down. My question is should I call the Co. report it to someone or let it die.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    19 Oct 2015 #17
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,231
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    It was most likely a scam to get into his computer. I would think about changing passwords, email passwords and notifying credit card companies. Microsoft has an abuse department but only occasionally do you get a lot of results from them. I think in this situation, as I understand it, you have to assume your data has been compromised and take appropriate measures.

    If you need help installing Windows 10, we can help with that.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    20 Oct 2015 #18
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,582
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by jamiessimpson View Post
    The ,Ubunta boot USP worked, totally cleaned Windows off the computer and uploaded its systems, but i am having trouble reloading windows 10 OSI because of portions, but it is OK for now the expensive computer is OK he is using internet, Email, etc. I need to ask, this started 5 yrs ago when he call a Co. called 24/7 tech support and what ever the problem was they fixed. Then 5 days ago someone called him clamming to be 24/7 and said they were working with Microsoft and there costumers to repair a problem with windows 10, because, he had used them, he let his guard down. My question is should I call the Co. report it to someone or let it die.
    Glad to hear you got it sorted!
    When you say problems reloading because of "portions", do you mean "partitions" on the hard drive?

    As @essenbe said, it's unlikely a report to Microsoft will produce much; there are tons of scammers taking advantage of the W10 rollout. However, if the 24/7 tech support company your father dealt with 5 years ago is indeed legitimate, perhaps you might notify them that scammers are using their name to ransom people's machines. Bottom line, if they called you, it's a scam.

    I also agree with @essenbe, that your father should seriously consider changing all his passwords - you just don't know what information their "software" was able to grab while on his computer. You must assume that all data was compromised.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
How to remove password at startup?
Everytime I turn on my PC, I get to a login screen, and either have to type in a password or a pin to login to my PC. I have already tried using netplwiz using Command Prompt with administrative privileges, with "Users must enter a user name and...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved Changed Microsoft Account Password Does not Change PC Login Password
I have three Win 10 PC's (desktop, laptop, Surface) that all have the admin login account set up through a common Microsoft Hotmail account. I changed to a new password on my Hotmail account, but the old Hotmail password is still used for logins to...
User Accounts and Family Safety
Solved Password at every startup
Win 10 Pro wants password at every logon. Tried various things..with netplwiz.exe,changing from Microsoft account to domain (sole PC) and this registry hack: 31723
User Accounts and Family Safety
Win 10 password
How do I disable the startup password I have a weather station that I upload data to wunderground, for what ever reason the computer will reboot and wont do anything until I put my PIN in this is what I want to disable. If the computer restarts...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:51.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums