Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    22 Nov 2014 #31
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Well, scratch Bitdeffender, just stopped working, uninstalled it and WD still would not work automatically, it's service stayed on manual.
    Got AVG now, just as on W8.1.
    No surprise there! I gave up BD with W7 less than two months into my subscription because of slow start ups and slow opening apps. I started to read in their forum about these same issues were months old. Should have researched more before purchasing. Went to Webroot and never looked back but it won't even install on build 9879 as it did on earlier versions because of the PCA popup which runs even when disabled.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Nov 2014 #32
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit

    Just wondering if I should test how good Defender really is? I've been using ImageBurn for several years on W7. I tried to download it and my AV(Webroot) blocked it when downloaded from an alternate site link at their site. I tried right from their site but was blocked still so I bypassed the block thinking it was just left over from the alternate site. It blocked the install as well but a scan showed what looks like porn sites in the file names. Webroot was doing it's job. A look at ImageBurn's forum showed another user's post where AVG flagged the file as malware too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    27 Nov 2014 #33
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Luverne Al
    Posts : 990
    Win7-Win10-9879-Linux

    I use Avast 2015 and it works good on Win 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    27 Nov 2014 #34
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by waffler View Post
    I use Avast 2015 and it works good on Win 10
    If it installed on build 9879 you are lucky as some AV don't or don't work. I'm not about to purchase a second AV just for W10TP 9879 build.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    27 Nov 2014 #35
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Luverne Al
    Posts : 990
    Win7-Win10-9879-Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waffler View Post
    I use Avast 2015 and it works good on Win 10
    If it installed on build 9879 you are lucky as some AV don't or don't work. I'm not about to purchase a second AV just for W10TP 9879 build.
    It is Free
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    28 Nov 2014 #36
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts : 638
    Windows 7/64 Professional

    Wptske no one has indicated that you have to buy anything.
    Try the free versions of you AV of choice. Some will work and some will not.

    If you find one that doesn't work just inform Microsoft using the Feedback. You could also inform the manufacture of the AV program but they probably already know and are working on the problem.

    I don't believe that their is any major manufacture of a AV program that is not working on problems that their program is having with W-10. Between Microsoft and the owners of the AV program they will work it out.
    We just will have to wait until that is done.

    I try to remember that I am testing W-10 and 3rd party programs and relaying the information to Microsoft.
    I'm not here to fix anything. I'm here to report my finding, likes and dislikes to Microsoft.

    At the present time I'm using the built in Defender anti virus with the built in firewall.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    28 Nov 2014 #37

    Malwarebytes is running fine along side defender. I shall stick with these untill at least next build.I have give up with Bitdefender anyway its let to much through on my win 7 system and on peoples machines who i recomended them use it , and the support forum stinks. there is problems on there that have been there for ages.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    28 Nov 2014 #38
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
    Wptske no one has indicated that you have to buy anything.
    Try the free versions of you AV of choice. Some will work and some will not.

    If you find one that doesn't work just inform Microsoft using the Feedback. You could also inform the manufacture of the AV program but they probably already know and are working on the problem.

    I don't believe that their is any major manufacture of a AV program that is not working on problems that their program is having with W-10. Between Microsoft and the owners of the AV program they will work it out.
    We just will have to wait until that is done.

    I try to remember that I am testing W-10 and 3rd party programs and relaying the information to Microsoft.
    I'm not here to fix anything. I'm here to report my finding, likes and dislikes to Microsoft.

    At the present time I'm using the built in Defender anti virus with the built in firewall.
    I purchased and I'm using Webroot on W7, W10TP build 9879 "only" doesn't even allow it to start to install because of the PCA which "can't" be turned off which has been verified and reported to MS. I really don't much faith in Defender as I pointed it to a folder that MBAM found the PUP OpenCandy in and it found nothing. I tried a full scan only to discover after hours that Defender allows the PC to go to sleep during the scan. I cancelled the scan after that since it wasted so much time. I booted into the recovery USB drive to restore a system point to clean up anything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    01 Dec 2014 #39
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Nothern Ohio
    Posts : 638
    Windows 7/64 Professional

    I glad you informed Microsoft of your problem with Webroot. I would think that Webroot is also working on the problem.
    Defender is a anti virus program. Many anti virus programs do not stop PUP's because it is not considered a virus.
    Defender did not allow your system to go to sleep, you did. You are the one who set when the computer sleeps and when it doesn't.

    I do not know what PCA is. Could you explain.

    I would recommend just use Defender that comes with W-10 until Microsoft and or Webroot work out the problem.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    01 Dec 2014 #40
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
    I glad you informed Microsoft of your problem with Webroot. I would think that Webroot is also working on the problem.
    Defender is a anti virus program. Many anti virus programs do not stop PUP's because it is not considered a virus.
    Defender did not allow your system to go to sleep, you did. You are the one who set when the computer sleeps and when it doesn't.

    I do not know what PCA is. Could you explain.

    I would recommend just use Defender that comes with W-10 until Microsoft and or Webroot work out the problem.
    Webroot stated that they haven't really started to look into W10 at this time.

    PCA is Program Compatibility Assistant something you should be able to turn On/OFF.

    I got an email earlier that somebody had responded to my problem about the PCA pop up. They suggested trying to rename the installer. The default name of the installer is "wsainstall.exe" and I renamed it "wrsa.exe", no PCA pop up, it installed with no problems so far.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:31.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums