Windows 10: Something nasty in my tech preview

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 529
    ,7,8.1 10TP 10upgrade,MINT
       28 Sep 2015 #1

    Something nasty in my tech preview


    I have had a copy of the technical preview since the beginning, using WD and the free Malwarebytes with no problems up till last night. My home page on Edge is Sky.com which has my email and news, and I was looking through the many news items when a "warning " popped up. "PLEASE CONTACT MICROSOFT LIVE TECHNICIANS", and a UK phone number, (020)3805 0592 (toll free). The website was tekharmor.com. The browser was locked, no way to shut it down except shutting down or restarting the pc. After restarting the pc the malware was still there. Another restart later, I ran Malwarebytes and Windows Defender without anything being detected. The tech preview is about to be scrapped and a fresh load put on the pc, I will not be held to ransom by these b*****ds.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       28 Sep 2015 #2

    tinmar49 said: View Post
    I have had a copy of the technical preview since the beginning, using WD and the free Malwarebytes with no problems up till last night. My home page on Edge is Sky.com which has my email and news, and I was looking through the many news items when a "warning " popped up. "PLEASE CONTACT MICROSOFT LIVE TECHNICIANS", and a UK phone number, (020)3805 0592 (toll free). The website was tekharmor.com. The browser was locked, no way to shut it down except shutting down or restarting the pc. After restarting the pc the malware was still there. Another restart later, I ran Malwarebytes and Windows Defender without anything being detected. The tech preview is about to be scrapped and a fresh load put on the pc, I will not be held to ransom by these b*****ds.
    Yeah, unfortunately Edge does not support extensions yet, and it sounds like you may have been served an infected ad (very common these days). Malwarebytes Antimalware Free is not an "active" protection. The paid version probably would have prevented this from happening. Their Anti-Exploit helps in these situations a bit. Also CryptoPrevent.

    Solved Scammers Exploit Windows 10 Upgrade Rollout-What You Need to Know - Windows 10 Forums

    Hate to see you quit the Insiders program over this!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 529
    ,7,8.1 10TP 10upgrade,MINT
    Thread Starter
       28 Sep 2015 #3

    Thanks, Simrick, I have no intentions of leaving the insider program yet. Currently, I have a problem with the replacement, see "what have I installed?" in installation and setup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 (dual boot w/ 7)
       02 Oct 2015 #4

    Just got caught by these scum, though I've got used to dealing with these.

    I'd say it's a browser locker, comes from a malicious ad.

    Browser can be closed by using task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL etc.).

    But when you re-open, it opens the same tab again!

    DO NOT re-open the browser directly, do something that will open a new tab (easy if you use Cortana) - the offending tab will now be inactive, and then you can close the browser (close all tabs) - now you're clear!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,970
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       02 Oct 2015 #5

    Disconnect computer from internet, restart computer, delete offending page, then reconnect to internet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    04 Oct 2015 #6

    Matth79 said: View Post
    Just got caught by these scum, though I've got used to dealing with these.

    I'd say it's a browser locker, comes from a malicious ad.

    Browser can be closed by using task manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL etc.).

    But when you re-open, it opens the same tab again!

    DO NOT re-open the browser directly, do something that will open a new tab (easy if you use Cortana) - the offending tab will now be inactive, and then you can close the browser (close all tabs) - now you're clear!
    You can change that behavior in settings. Smart money is to always closing all tabs on shut down while opening to a secure home page
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,970
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       05 Oct 2015 #7

    DTG1 said: View Post
    You can change that behavior in settings. Smart money is to always closing all tabs on shut down while opening to a secure home page
    If page is locked it is not possible to access Settings, Task Manager or have any control over mouse.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 13,378
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 64 Pro, Win 10 64 Education Edition
       07 Oct 2015 #8

    Suggest you run this program to try to terminate the malware process that may be blocking your attempts at removal. Do NOT reboot after running this program. Once this program is run, scan with your malware scanners to see if they show up & can be removed.

    RKill Download

    RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections. When RKill runs it will kill malware processes and then removes incorrect executable associations and fixes policies that stop us from using certain tools. When finished it will display a log file that shows the processes that were terminated while the program was running.

    As RKill only terminates a program's running process, and does not delete any files, after running it you should not reboot your computer as any malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again. Instead, after running RKill you should immediately scan your computer using some sort of anti-malware or anti-virus program so that the infections can be properly removed.

    Below are a list of RKill download links using different filenames. We offer RKill under different filenames because some malware will not allow processes to run unless they have a certain filename. Therefore when attempting to run RKill, if a malware terminates it please try a different filename offered below.
    Other programs you could run would be AdwCleaner & JRT, which are good at dealing with adware.

    AdwCleaner Download

    Junkware Removal Tool Download
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    07 Oct 2015 #9

    I would recommend running ADW Cleaner, followed by Malwarebytes Premium. I clean this junk off PC's every day and these two tools have not let me down yet...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    09 Oct 2015 #10

    There is no need to install any software or run any scans with these things, simply ctrl alt del and end edge browser, open word pad and type Google or any other web address, click on it and when asked if you want to open the link click yes and edge will open on the address you typed and you can now take pleasure in killing the offending tab.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Start8 on Windows Tech Preview in Software and Apps
Well I just wanted to see what would happen if I installed Start8 on Windows 10, and it is great. I have my old windows 7 menu back and can switch back and forth to Start screen easily. With Brinks little trick about no logging to switch, I can...
Installing 10 tech preview in Installation and Upgrade
How Do I install the 10 tech preview onto the separate partition that i just created using the windows update install for tech preview 10?
Windows 10 RSAT Tech Preview... in Software and Apps
It appears this latest build has broken the Windows 10 RSAT eval. I get errors when installing.
I see a lot of excitement over Win 10 with some actually using it as their main OS. I installed it in a VM the first day is was available and have played with it quite a bit. It's definitely interesting but I'm not chomping at the bit to upgrade...
MSAHCI in the new tech preview? in Drivers and Hardware
I noticed a little difference in the controller after checking my SSD last night, this is on my laptop in my specs (Other info) This was a clean install of Win 7, 5760 It automatically used msahci during install. This was a clean install...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:19.
Find Us